• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

How about heated gear...for my garage.

woodrow823

My fingers ain't working too good lately, and i see Lots of options to keep the garage toasty. Mine is probably around 20 x 25.
Experience? Best deals?

I have had heated attached garages in the past that are ducted to the house heating system. I would just close the dampers in the garage unless I wanted to work there. Depending on where the existing duct work is in your house, it may be both simple and cheap to retro fit ducting to your garage. You can turn your furnace fan from "Auto" to "On" for a while before you want to use the garage.

I had an unheated but insulated garage that I used a 2400 watt electric heater in when I wanted to work there. Took about an hour to heat the garage from ~25 to 50 - 60. At the time I was doing this, electricity was much more expensive than natural gas, but since I used the garage very infrequently, I paid the premium for convenience. Now there are a lot of places where gas is just as expensive as electricity, so that may not be much of an issue any more. Electric heaters are fairly inexpensive. The one I used had a thermostat, which is common.

An oil option is the Toyo stove. They are small, efficient and not overly difficult to install. Toyos are widely used in Alaska to good purpose.

I use an infrared stand up propane stove when it gets cold. After a while, I have to shut it off I get so toasty warm. Lots quieter than those bullet heaters too!

If all you want is to take the chill off this might work.

27k0840s3.jpg

I use the twin Sunflower system. attach it to the top of a propane bottle. I can go from cold to toasty warm in about 20 minutes. My garage is well insulated, with R-13 in the walls and R-19 in the ceiling. I got my heater at Lowes.

I have a well insulated but unheated garage attached to the house. Even in the coldest weather the temperature only drops down to about freezing.

I have an IR heat lamp (like for baby chicks) above my workbench. Lay out all the tools and parts and they're toasty warm to the touch. That and a pair of insulated coveralls and I'm usually too warm.

East and very low cost solution.

If all you want is to take the chill off this might work.

27k0840s3.jpg
[/QUOTE

I considered one of these, but went with a ceiling mount 10kw fan electric heater. They were around $350 when I bought mine. If I am doing something temperature sensitive such as paint work or glue up on wood projects , I'll set it at the minimum such as 55 deg and if the wood runs out if takes over. I also turn it on when I arrive in shop and build up the wood stove.
I have owned the kerosene stoves in past but will say that 2 kids and their mother died from one here in KY last few days! The kerosene is pricey and a big issue to tote around all the time. I would go my route again or if a small gargae and all you want is a bench work/bike or car spot warmed go to the radiants as shown.

Get a smudge pot, load it with diesel, light it with gasoline, and you won't be cold all winter...

Sheesh, get a Harbor Freight Tools catalog and order a space heater...end of story!

Get a smudge pot, load it with diesel, light it with gasoline, and you won't be cold all winter...

Sheesh, get a Harbor Freight Tools catalog and order a space heater...end of story!

didn't know Harbor frt had heaters. There's one about 5 miles from my house. Everything's inexpensive there!

I had to plug in the infared lamp above the waterer in my chicken coop this week, so their water wouldn't freeze. I guess 8 degs is pretty cold to chickens? They don't get under it-thet get on the roost over it, as in where the heat rises too-smart chickens, huh? :dance

My chickens too:)

They love the heat in winter. Same results, high up in their coop/house. Not very bright, chickens, but they know warm when they feel it:). Maybe like us. Randy:thumb

I know everyone already knows this but I'll mention it anyway ... consider it a Public Service Announcement.

Gasoline fumes are heavier than air and sink to the floor. It's why gas water heaters must be mounted above floor level (in California anyway).

Leaky petcock + gasoline fumes, + pilot light (any open flame) may lead to ...

Explode-02-june.gif

We now return to our regularly scheduled programming.

I know everyone already knows this but I'll mention it anyway ... consider it a Public Service Announcement.

Gasoline fumes are heavier than air and sink to the floor. It's why gas water heaters must be mounted above floor level (in California anyway).

Leaky petcock + gasoline fumes, + pilot light (any open flame) may lead to ...

Explode-02-june.gif

We now return to our regularly scheduled programming.

Ok so you got me thinking, could I make it safer by rasing the heater up off the floor? and if so how high would I have to go?

Do not know how much room you have but a small pot belly cast iron stove might be what you are looking for. Properly vented to the outside you can have heat and a ready source of hot water, as its good sense to keep a large pot on top while the fire is burning. Iv'e used a carbon monoxide monitor as a safety precaution when using a fire place or cast iron stove. If you can find some sections of cardboard tri-wall boxes they keep the cold from getting to your body when you have to lay on cold concrete. Ride Safe :usa :usa

Back