• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Softbag heatshield for 1150 GS

JOHNR100RS

BMWOA ABC
I have been enjoying Ian Schmeisser 's latest articles . I do off pavement multi-day trips with friends that ride a KLR , 650 GS, and an 800 GS . I have 10.5 " Happy Trails panniers that I never fill up . In any case they go ahead and I lumber along behind them with the 1150 . I am not going to forsake the hard panniers but I don't need them all the time . I bought a set of Wolfman Expedition Dry saddlebags . Most everything looks good ,but I need a heat shield and an exaust deflector to make the soft bags work

there is a foil faced/asbetos product available through heating/AC supply stores which would probably work.
I think it's usually used around boilers, ect.

I bought a set of Wolfman Expedition Dry saddlebags . Most everything looks good ,but I need a heat shield and an exaust deflector to make the soft bags work

hey john, glad you have found those articles useful.

you've chosen a really good product and i have a couple of suggestions for your problem.

Giant Loop makes a new heat shield that may work for you. There are more photos of this product at the link above.

getfile_fguid_f78162aa-c73a-11df-b161-1231390ec091_getegg_0_large.png

and if i understand you, the exhaust deflector would direct hot gasses away from the bag. one option here may be something made for jesse boxes... a tube that is stuck into the muffler tip, but I can't find anything on their site about it anymore, so that may be an old design. it may also not work without their bag mounts and it could possibly look very dorky. we cant have that!

another idea may solve both problems at the same time... the happy trails exhaust lowering kit.

389_big.jpg

whichever direction you choose, be super sure that the bags won't sag and get into the rear wheel. that would be very bad. This is why i chose the Giant Loop Great Basin bag... what it lacked in capacity it made up for with very good and secure mounting to the bike. i have a staintune pipe on my 1150 and it is lower than stock by default. i can toss the Giant Loop bag over the pillion position with no problems.

ian

ps => a couple years ago, al jesse showed me a product idea designed specifically to address this issue. it was called a "bear claw"... a simple wire shield shaped like a bear's paw that attaches to the bike to hold soft panniers away from the rear tire. but i've not seen the product yet. you might call their distributor (Xploremoto) to get an update. don't ask al... he'll tell you "it's almost ready" and then doesn't appear for a year or two. :ha

I like the high pipe . I bought some 1/4" x 1" aluminum stock to run from behind the rear foot peg to the rear Happy Trails pannier bracket .I have some 3/32" aluminum sheet stock ( for the muffler side) that will go between the bar stock and the top pannier rail .There is about 1/2 " clearance between the muffler and the sheet stock . I am using black socket head bolts and plan on some black paint and the Wolfman bags hiding most of the frame work .I know what you mean about things looking dorky. If this doesn't work I'll try a different approach.
My other luggage consists of a Wolfman tankbag , Aerostich tank panniers ,Touratech seat and tail bags ,and H2W bags for my pad ,sleeping bag ,Kermit and tent poles .

Here is an update on my quest to find luggage that suits my needs .
I removed the Happy Trails racks(and amendments that I made ) and now have the racks and panniers listed for sale in a couple of sites.
I bought a used Givi rack and Pannier set .
The racks fit the Woflman bags,or visa versa
I had a tool tube ,but now I am thinking about building an insert with an apron on the right hand rack loop. In essence a pie pan with a cover .
I have seen boxes for 1200GS but none for the 1150GS.

Back