• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Throttle cable lube for sticky throttle

My throttle has a little sticky release (I perfer a quick smooth spring back). Aside from WD 40, is there anything all y'all can recommend to lube the cable?

BMW cables are not meant to be lubricated. It can actually make it worse. I believe they have an internal lining of a Teflon-type material - others may know exactly.

I would look for binding somewhere along its routing or even withing the grip. Otherwise, a replacement may be in order.

BMW cables are not meant to be lubricated. It can actually make it worse. I believe they have an internal lining of a Teflon-type material - others may know exactly.

I would look for binding somewhere along its routing or even withing the grip. Otherwise, a replacement may be in order.

True.

I am going to make an assumption. The K bikes' throttle tube is geared and I'll guess your R bike is too. The gear does need greasing, at least my old K100LT's did.

Ralph Sims

No lube for the BMW cables on oilheads and later bikes.

Check the throttle grip to make sure the rubber isn't binding on the bar weight or at the switch block. As the grips deteriorate with age they can stretch off the ends a bit and bind. Also a good idea to remove the whole throttle grip assembly and clean it up. Grunge can build up in there and cause it to bind as well. Then that just leaves the cable if the problem is not corrected.

True.

I am going to make an assumption. The K bikes' throttle tube is geared and I'll guess your R bike is too. The gear does need greasing, at least my old K100LT's did.

Ralph Sims

Perhaps later year R bikes (Hexheads) are, but his 95 R1100RS isn't. Assuming that's the bike we're discussing that is.

Ditto on the "no lube" on cables. So, how old are your cables? I'm betting OEM?

I use that "teflon/graphite" spray lube (there are a ton of brands) that you get at a locksmith's shop. No gummy build up. And no ring around the collar either.... .

Toss that WD-40...there are so many better products available to do the job that this stuff is supposed to do...

Back