• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Portable air pump and tire plugging kit

I figured out why your scratching your head-I spelled Meijers wrong!I left out the J!
Actually just stirring up some fun...:type:D

For those needing entertainment about small pumps: there was a guy about two years ago on Advrider that went out and bought one of all he could find then timed each one as it filled a flat tire, then listed the results,THEN he listed them "for sale" in the flea market there. I wouldn't necessarily call it scientific, but was good info. if your shopping. I keep my Meijer's pump in my camper and my Slime on the bike.

Used my Stop-n-Go plugger and Slime pump this morning to fix the rear tire. Started going flat on I-35 (I thought it was the wind blowing me in weird directions).

That's what you get for riding on I-35:laugh:laugh:laugh:bolt

+1 on the slime pump. I also carry the Aerostich Expedition Pocket Plugger Tubeless Tire Repair Kit #4936.

If you haven't tried out your compressor/tire plugger, you may want to practice on an old auto tire. Since Se??or Murphy is known to frequent our lives, your flat may occur in dim light or bad weather, and knowing the procedure could make the experience easier to handle. :thumb

I figured out why your scratching your head-I spelled Meijers wrong!I left out the J!
Actually just stirring up some fun...:type:D

For those needing entertainment about small pumps: there was a guy about two years ago on Advrider that went out and bought one of all he could find then timed each one as it filled a flat tire, then listed the results,THEN he listed them "for sale" in the flea market there. I wouldn't necessarily call it scientific, but was good info. if your shopping. I keep my Meijer's pump in my camper and my Slime on the bike.

Actually it was the "huge retired police pensions" comment that got my attention.

I keep checking the mail for a more impressive check, but nothing so far! :scratch

I realize you're "stirring up fun," and I took it in fun as well.

Enjoy your Holidays! :dance

Stick to string type plugs - less chance of problems than the cutesy rubber ones of various types.

The T handle tools are useful compared to a straight handle cheapy. The better grip makes things easier and should you try to use one of the cheapies on a heavier tires (eg like for light trucks) you may well find you cannot force it into the tire due to inadequate grip.

And last
Test the pump under load for at least 7-8 minutes on its actual bike installation setup. Roadside is no place to find out (if you bought one of the cheapies) that the pump dies (very common with cheap compressors) or draws so much current it fries your wires or blows fuses. And if you have no experience using plugs, get an old tire and practice a few times.

If you are good at it, it is possible to install a plug in a partially filled tire only loosing a few lbs of air pressure- makes inflating easier and, if you spot the incipient flat soon enough, might be enough air left for a slow speed run to a nearby pump. My preferred method for doing a small puncutre is to pull in to the nearest air pump and do it there, if at all possible. Many times, breaking out the pump you carry can be avoided.

+1 for the string-style plugs on steel-belted radials.

I had a Stop-n-Go plugger that I used with great success on bias-ply tires. It looked kind of like a caulking gun, and inserted a mushroom-headed plug. I rode a plugged tire for several thousand miles after repairing it that way, with no ill effects.:doh (Yes, I know it was stupid. I was in college, and it seemed like a good risk/benefit at the time. No more of that going on here...)

I've since had several unsatisfactory experiences using the Stop-n-Go mushroom plugs on steel-belted radials. Once on my Honda Valkyrie, where the plugs were only lasting a few miles apiece, and once on my buddie's R1200CL, where the plug lasted about 20 miles.

In my experience, the steel belts seem to "saw" through the plug, and the tire spits out the stem of the plug. The mushroom heads remain in the tire, as seen when the tires were changed. I spoke to the Stop-n-Go rep at Gillette a couple of years ago, and he thought that twistin the rat-tail rasp tool in the hole should smooth down the steel belts and eliminate the problem. I remain unconvinced.

I ended up patching the CL's tire with a string-type plug after the mushroom failed, and we made it home about 450 miles (on a Sunday, had to be to work the next AM, etc.).

Long story short, I just carry the string-type plugs now. They've worked well for me, are available nearly everywhere, can (supposedly) be used in numbers to patch bigger holes in an emergency, etc.

YMMV.

UncleHowie;639494 I spoke to the Stop-n-Go rep at Gillette a couple of years ago said:
I had the spitting plug issue on the OEM Dunlop on my 05RT...after learning to really clear the hole with the rasp...especially on Metzlers and Dunlops...have had great results from the mushroom style plugs...but I carry both types as slash/odd size type holes will not seal with a mushroom plug. If I pull a nail or screw out, I will use the Stop-N-Go . My results anyway.
If the tire is relatively new, I will go home and put a radial patch on the inside and ride until it's worn out. Depends on where the hole is and how worn the tire is.

+1 on steel belts sawing the Stop and Go plugs in half. I didn't realize what was happening at first, but made it to a tire place that did an inside patch that got me home. Only lost one day of work. I did run out of CO2 cartridges pretty quickly. It's always the rear tire, isn't it.

I spoke to the Stop-n-Go rep at Gillette a couple of years ago, and he thought that twistin the rat-tail rasp tool in the hole should smooth down the steel belts and eliminate the problem. I remain unconvinced.
YMMV.

If you use the rasp tool and ream the hole completely, it will hold. I also used the Stop-n-Go on my Volvo tire and had no problem.

Back