• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Year round easy tenting!

Polarbear

Polarbear
Bibler is my question? I'm a year round camper in all weather and want to move into an easy/quick/bad weather, setup tent, with bombproof abilities! Bibler has been on my mind for years and pricey is indeed an understatement, regarding these, BUT??? Anybody using these single walled units and how good/happy are you folks? I think Utah is their home and I'll be glad to hear some input about'em. 500$ and up are common prices so far, on sale. I'm older now, more funds to spend and need a good, very good, better than avg tent and "no fly" sounds good:). ARE they that good? Randy

Bibler is my question? I'm a year round camper in all weather and want to move into an easy/quick/bad weather, setup tent, with bombproof abilities! Bibler has been on my mind for years and pricey is indeed an understatement, regarding these, BUT??? Anybody using these single walled units and how good/happy are you folks? I think Utah is their home and I'll be glad to hear some input about'em. 500$ and up are common prices so far, on sale. I'm older now, more funds to spend and need a good, very good, better than avg tent and "no fly" sounds good:). ARE they that good? Randy

A single wall tent will be as having a shower head installed nicely in the mornings.
Check the Hilleberg tents. Ground, tent, fly always attached. Quich set up in wind, rain, snow... It is the only true tent used by the Mt Everest expeditions and others around the World. It has changed our Journey for ourselves... If you need more info let me know.
Be well... Ara & Spirit

And, it comes in

RED!!!:groovy

Voni
sMiling

Don't mean to contradict you Voni but green should be the color. Too many birds and animals are attracted to red... (we know Paul is... :clap). Stealth mode amongst Nature is a better way to camp...

Be well, Ara & Spirit

Don't mean to contradict you Voni but green should be the color. Too many birds and animals are attracted to red... (we know Paul is... :clap). Stealth mode amongst Nature is a better way to camp...

I'd like to see a few more birds when I'm camping and there is research showing that male homo-sapiens can be attracted with the color red, but mammals in the wild are more likely to be attracted by scent.

SAR organizations would prefer you use a bright color. Red, orange or yellow are good choices for your tent color. Some say, although I could not confirm this, that NOLS prefers navy, which blends in well and fits better with the Leave No Trace philosophy.

I'll err on the side of safety. Better RED than dead.

I'd like to see a few more birds when I'm camping and there is research showing that male homo-sapiens can be attracted with the color red, but mammals in the wild are more likely to be attracted by scent.

SAR organizations would prefer you use a bright color. Red, orange or yellow are good choices for your tent color. Some say, although I could not confirm this, that NOLS prefers navy, which blends in well and fits better with the Leave No Trace philosophy.

I'll err on the side of safety. Better RED than dead.

I also don't care for the birds to poop on the tent... just a personal preference... :)

*Keep in mind we can on the hack afford the 9+lbs of this tent...

1114195828_G3r4S-L.jpg

Be well, Ara ^ Spirit

I'm older now, more funds to spend and need a good, very good, better than avg tent and "no fly" sounds good:). ARE they that good? Randy

How about "tent suspended from fly"? I recently upgraded to an Exped Venus II for that reason. Pitch the fly and the tent is automatically pitched inside.

I got the exped after my last trip of the season so have only set it up in the back yard. Lots of pics here.

1073343572_2ypSF-M.jpg

Last edited:
Thx:)

Some new stuff here I've not heard of. The Bibler is not supposed to leak? But you say a single wall will leak if touched inside! I'll check carefully for my next tent and have found myself to be a tent junky, with so many stashed in my garage. A couple really good ones, but none perfect! Randy:thumb:usa

Hilleberg:)

I looked at their site. A neat unit in these tents. Thanks for the input, as this is what I'm looking for, the good and better stuff out there! My last tent in my next purchase...right, for a tent junky to say! Randy:thumb:usa

How about "tent suspended from fly"? I recently upgraded to an Exped Venus II for that reason. Pitch the fly and the tent is automatically pitched inside.

I got the exped after my last trip of the season so have only set it up in the back yard. Lots of pics here.

1073343572_2ypSF-M.jpg

+1 on Exped... I recently reviewed the Exped Andromeda II. Expeds are a small click below Hilleberg in terms of overall durability, a click above in flexibility, from what I've seen, there is a difference in price, too. Hillebergs are quite expensive (and worth it).

However, Randy, I would not recommend the Andromeda for you, since the peak height isn't what it needs to be for us old farts. :ha (imo)

The Venus that Marchyman points to is a better option. it's peak height is about 5" higher than the andromeda.

although it's hard to beat the vestibule on the Andromeda.

960444904_HXKDJ-L.jpg

ian

THX Ian:)

Good input and appreciated. I need a real weather,easy pitch tent and have had a really great REI Bullfrog(a favorite) for single use, but want another tent, that has an easier setup, regarding fly's or even no fly, as in the Bibler's. The Hilleberg's seem the ticket and I look hard at them:). Height, old fart'ism? I guess I'm in that breed now:), but at least know with the "wisdom" that comes in all this aging, that the good stuff is worth the price paid:) and I'm a camper for life, no age barrier. Happy Trails, Randy:thumb

I ruled out some great tents because they required staking out. I can't remember when I last pitched a tent and didn't stake it down, but I find I often do some fine tweaking of the position between pitching and staking to make sure the tent is properly positioned with respect to any slant in the ground. And it seems like there is alway some slant wherever I camp. :bluduh

Another thing to look at is the length. I'm 6' tall and find that some tents just aren't long enough. The Venus II pictured above is OK, but if I were 6'2" it would be too short. The slant of the tent walls can make a tent that looks long enough on paper turn out to be too short in practice.

+1 on Exped... I recently reviewed the Exped Andromeda II. Expeds are a small click below Hilleberg in terms of overall durability, a click above in flexibility, from what I've seen, there is a difference in price, too. Hillebergs are quite expensive (and worth it).

However, Randy, I would not recommend the Andromeda for you, since the peak height isn't what it needs to be for us old farts. :ha (imo)

The Venus that Marchyman points to is a better option. it's peak height is about 5" higher than the andromeda.

960444904_HXKDJ-L.jpg

ian

Love that last photo! I use the same chair (and color!) same table, same mug... but the tent is a Hilleberg which actually looks similar! It all fits in the larger vestibule for rainy days.

Be well... Ara & Spirit

I ruled out some great tents because they required staking out. I can't remember when I last pitched a tent and didn't stake it down, but I find I often do some fine tweaking of the position between pitching and staking to make sure the tent is properly positioned with respect to any slant in the ground. And it seems like there is alway some slant wherever I camp. :bluduh

i always position my ground cloth and then lay down on it prior to setting up the tent. there is nothing i hate worse than having my head pointing downhill.

but you're right, a free-standing tent is a nice convenience, especially if one is, um, required to move the tent in the middle of the night. damhikt

the Andromedia II tent i posted about above is not free standing but can set up very quickly with three poles and four stakes. technically it should be staked out better, but at least this quick set up gets the big vestibule available quickly to get stuff out of the rain.

960444904_HXKDJ-L.jpg

ian

Damn, that is a nice picture !!

One feature of the Expeds where the inner tent "hangs' from the pole-supported fly is that, if needed, the inner tent can quickly be unclipped from inside, pushed aside (with gear inside) to make some room for spreading out under cover of the fly, such as when there is a steady rain and you just want to get under cover. Leaving your stuff inside when doing this protects it from getting dirty. While not free standing, as Marchyman pointed out, they do seem to go up quickly. Check the many YouTube videos that Exped has done on their tents by searching there for "Exped tent" or similar. They do a good job of showing the features of the various Expeds. Like you, I'm an old fart and this is one reason the Exped Andromeda appeals to me... big vestibule allows for crawling in the vestibule for gettin' dressed without my arse hanging out and gives lots of room for gear, as well. Again, the YouTube videos give you a good idea of the roominess of the Expeds. Pricey, though.

love it

I love my simple set up MSR hubba hubba! I ride and F800GS and the hubby a HP2enduro. We camp all summer and most of the winter so choosing camping equipment was a serious decision... especially for the amount in rains out here!!!!
We share a MSR hubbahubba tent and couldn't be happier! For starters, the hubby's a fairly large man and I'm pretty tall myself at 5.8. We both sleep comfortably in this ten with room to spare and we can both sit-upright - plus, it has a double vestibule and doors which make it a pleasure to both store our panniers out of the rain and allow us easy entry and exits without stopping all over one another. To top it all off it is only 4lbs 3 oz, which can be made even lighter in the summer if you feel like camping out under the fly alone.
If you get this tent, guaranteed you won't be disappointed we are sure not!
Msr-Hubba-Hubba-HP.jpg

Big vestibules:)

Larger dressing rooms or mud rooms(vestibules), we call them, to store the boots and gear you do not want inside your living/sleeping area of the tent are a best sell item for my purposes. The Hilleberg has a very nice mud room:). A space like this you can actually be in with your body is neat. A covered front porch. Most vesti's are a simple slant storage area, very limited but still worthy. I'm looking for the bigger enclosed front porch:), some here have been mentioned.. Randy

Polarbear, Look at Catoma tents and see if the easy setup meets your needs. I bought the largest (a Switchback) as I need the room it offers. At $245 it costs less and offers more room than many of the other tents mentioned in this thread.
Ride Safe :usa :usa

Back