• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Sidecar, Season ONE!

SFAULKNER68

the velvet hammer
OK, the sidecar forum has been silent for 11 days. I'll break the silence, here's a photo journey of my first season w/ a sidecar.

The season starts w/ my wife and I talking about how our dog (Domino) does everything with us except motorcycle trips. We decide we must get a sidecar. I've ridden motorcycles for 36 years but never a sidecar rig.

I go searching, wanting a Ural but not wanting to spend that much money (we already have 3 BMW motorcycles, spending +/-$14K for a new Ural just doesn't make sense, no matter how cool they are, right?). Plus, I'm not sure I or Domino will really like it. I keep looking when suddenly I stumble upon an ad on AdvRider.

The rig is a 1977 R100S BMW w/ a 2002 Velorex sidecar. I'm new to sidecars but have been studying them for a few months, I have a little book knowledge at this point, that's it. I know well what to expect from the '77 R100S. I know the Velorex is a decent car, know the pros and cons of a fiberglass car vs aluminum, but am impressed w/ the rigging and set up of the rig. The rigging is Dauntless, most of it, anyway.

I contact the owner. He's a great guy, Kevin. The rig is at his home in Snohomish, WA, about 130 miles from my home. I drive over, we strike a deal (I know he advertised the rig last fall for more money, I saw the AdvRider ad then but wasn't ready to buy. I'm still not ready to buy but it is the perfect rig for me. I offer his current asking price if he's willing to take a 1000 bucks in deposit and wait up to one month for the full balance. Kevin's a great guy, he says no problem).

The real problem? I haven't ridden a sidecar other than the test ride Kevin offered graciously. Kevin gives me his Yellow Book. I take it home and start reading, I have a month, I can do this. Again, I've spent my life on a motorcycle, never a sidecar, but the "book" makes sense. I grew up on a farm in Montana, I began driving tractors at the age of 5, hauling hay, motorcycles @ age 8. This doesn't qualify me to ride a sidecar home but the theories make sense, real sense. I read sidecar stories on the 'net, "don't ride it home if you haven't ridden before". This makes sense, I should obey. Instead, I go to the DMV and take the written sidecar test. I pass w/ a 100%. In Washington, this gives you a permit for 90 days, within 90 days you need to take the riding test to be officially endorsed but w/ the permit you are allowed to ride for that 90 days, just not at night and not w/ a passenger. Technically, I'm legally qualified to ride home but I keep hearing "don't ride it home if you haven't ridden a rig", I keep thinking it would be smart to haul it home. At the same time, I keep thinking that life is short (and could be much shorter if I screw this one up) and the theories make sense. I call upon my childhood of operating a tractor each summer pulling various implements from hay sickles, rakes, bailers, and trailers loaded w/ hay. This is beyond the hours I spent spinning donuts in the ice and snow on the tractor, until my dad finally came out of the house and said "that's enough".

I have a legal permit and think w/ my wife following in the VW, I'll be OK. So, on May 29, 2010, it's off to Snohomish.

Oh wait, this is supposed to be a photo journey, so here:

Leaving Snohomish on the rig (clearly, theory meets the road, gotta figure out the appropriate weight distribution on a left corner).

1113733102_PR2Vi-M.jpg

I safely cover 50 miles of backroads then there isn't a choice, time to jump on I90 and get over Snoqualmie Pass. I exit 50 miles later in Cle Elum to take the final 30 miles home on backroads. The West side of the Cascades is wet as usual but it is dry and sunny East of the Cascade divide. I stop for a break and Domino gets his first ride in the sidecar. Kevin gave me a nice harness for him (I'm about to rig it up).

1113733606_QFFo4-M.jpg

Cruising down Highway 10 w/ Domino in the 'car.

1113734588_zN2U8-M.jpg

We take a break along the Yakima River. Now only 15 miles from home.

1113734427_yn5Cf-M.jpg

130 miles later, we're safely home. My wife now jumps out of the VW, throws Domino out of the sidecar and says its her turn. A short ride around Ellensburg concludes w/ Emily posting on Facebook, "You haven't lived until you've ridden in a sidecar!".

1113734945_XqxVU-M.jpg

I clean the bike, remove the ammo box on the rigging that contains the car battery, I move the battery to the trunk of the car and install it in a marine battery box. I switch the handlebars from the tall /2 bars to low, wide sidecar bars (of which Kevin supplied me with!). I swap the valve covers for a new, OEM, peanut style I happen to have in my boxes of BMW parts. I clean some more.

886827641_4sHV7-M.jpg

886830386_h9yfc-M.jpg

Oh wait, I'm not legal to carry passengers. Does Domino count? Of course. Time to go take the riding portion of the endorsement. There are about 6 locations around the state to take the riding test, most one day a week, each location a different day of the week. I study the calender for a location and time I can do it. As it turns out, Spokane will work, OK, 200 miles later I take the riding test and pass w/ a 100%. I'm fully legal. Here's a shot on the Palouse, at a friend's house, on the way home from the test. I spend the weekend at his house celebrating the sidecar endorsement w/ an IPA, or two.

1113809066_awJeo-M.jpg

Time to enjoy the rig. First trip, attend the National Moto Guzzi Rally in John Day Oregon. I muscle this rig 300 miles from my house on my first big trip, loaded w/ camping gear. I order some used BMW saddlebags from an MOA member but they arrive while we are away. I rig up a nice fix.

949968880_Ad3qE-M.jpg

We depart for John Day. Emily rides her R80, Domino and I take the rig.

949969638_9nA6t-M.jpg

Domino gets to stretch his legs on the trek to John Day.

949971415_E6gBa-M.jpg

The Moto Guzzi Rally proved a great weekend for my sidecar knowledge. The 300 miles getting there wore me out, it was a constant fight to keep the rig out of the ditch on the right side of the road. A friend that followed me for a while mentioned that it seemed the sidecar and bike leaned toward each other. I looked, it did even when unloaded. I started quizzing rally attendees w/ 'cars and then met one of the Dauntless guys camped w/in eyesight of my tent. I spent Saturday afternoon under his watchful eye adjusting the rigging to lean the bike away from the 'car. As a result, the ride home Sunday was much easier! I've since learned the sweet spot (spots) for weight in the 'car, both where in the car and how much. Just like a motorcycle, one learns to pack lighter after the first camping trip. Life is good!

Saddlebags arrive upon returning home. I install them.

949997556_3aK4v-M.jpg

A couple weeks later, it is time to head to the BMW MOA National Rally in Redmond, OR. Here's the rig in downtown Bend (not too many photos of the National, I can thank Makers Mark for that once back at the tent!).

949999345_NqTCq-M.jpg

Finally, some summer and fall riding.

1113812945_8mvWr-M.jpg

1088504644_AsUdo-M.jpg

1012878619_58Y6b-M.jpg

1113817398_G5hqu-M.jpg

1088504827_sn6AT-M.jpg

All said, 2010 was a great year! My R1150GS sat silent all summer, the sidecar rig stole the show. I think it is safe to say Domino and I love it!

1113817450_cbFnV-M.jpg

949968524_3tdU6-M.jpg

Peace out folks. Happy winter!

Last edited:
Nice summary! The sidecar has transformed my riding experience and traveling with Barley is just too cool for words! Enjoy!

5.jpg

Great story, and makes me wish for one. Just not sure ......
Beautiful Bike & sidecar too!!!

460...just do it!
Sidecars are much more fun then you can imagine!

That is one nice looking sidecar rig!

I'm jealous.

1) What does it mean "don't ride it home if you haven't ridden before"? What if I'm starting from home? :ha
2) You have to get a sidecar license?

Nice rig! and, an even nicer story with it!
I am hoping to have a good experience myself - I just bought a '78 R100/7 that I plan to matchup with a suitable subframe and sidecar next year..

I know well what to expect from the '77 R100S. I know the Velorex is a decent car, know the pros and cons of a fiberglass car vs aluminum, but am impressed w/ the rigging and set up of the rig. The rigging is Dauntless, most of it, anyway.

Yes... I saw that beauty rig too and was quite surprised it took so long to sell. I live less than 20 miles from Snohomish.
You should have gone over the pass on US 2 and then over Bluett to home.
Regardless now as that's a moot point... Unless you come back to Monroe, WA for the 2014 National. :)
Only thing I could even add to this nice report is now to practice.
Practice. Practice. Practice.
When I bought my rig I had zero experience hacking. I bought mine w/ the thought it's mounted to the same two wheeler I ride so getting used to it would be diminished.
Well, the same bike is where any similarity's end. It's a completely different vehicle powered by a motorcycle.
Practice flying the chair. As cool as it looks... It's saved my bacon more than a few times.

Anyway... Welcome to Sidecaring.
Yer Hooked. :laugh

Attachments

• FlyingTheChair.jpg
    FlyingTheChair.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 290
Good on you, for learning to drive an outfit. Sidecar combos are addictive, and there is no known cure.

It's hard to explain to other motorcycists why I might prefer driving my sidecar rig to riding my bike. The average citizen seems to get it, but motorcyclists who have so far limited their riding to two wheels are often very resistant to the idea.

At a BMW rally last year, I was asked by a famous moto-journalist why anyone would want to drive a rig. I responded that it was a lot like sex. When you're seven years old and find out about it, it sounds terrible. You swear you'd never do it, and certainly your parents wouldn't do it. It sounds messy, uncomfortable, and maybe painful.

Then, later on in life, you try it, and find out it's a lot more enjoyable than you could have realized. You're doing it, and you realize your folks must have done it too.

That's not to say that everyone should convert from a bike to a hack. Different strokes for different folks. My suggestion is to have one of each. There are lots of lessons that can be learned from hacks that apply to bikes.

pmdave

I am hoping to have a good experience myself - I just bought a '78 R100/7 that I plan to matchup with a suitable subframe and sidecar next year..

Pay attention to those hackers who advise you that driving a three wheeler is completely different from riding a bike. There have been a number of motorcyclists who have ignored this advice, and paid for their ignorance with their lives. I'm not kidding here.

The second edition of the "yellow book" now includes sections on attachment and alignment, as well as both basic and advanced driving skills.

Driving A Sidecar Outfit second edition (aka the "yellow book") is available from Printwerk Graphics 800 736-1117, and from Whitehorse Press 800 531-1133.

I strongly suggest you take the Sidecar/Trike Education Program, even before you get your rig put together. They provide the training rigs to learn on, and you get the benefit of instructor coaching and (at least in WA) a completion card that serves as a license test waiver.

pmdave

I strongly suggest you take the Sidecar/Trike Education Program, even before you get your rig put together.
They provide the training rigs to learn on, and you get the benefit of instructor coaching and (at least in WA) a completion card that serves as a license test waiver.

pmdave

+++1 :thumb

I can't believe I left that out.
Aside from serious... It is SERIOUS fun!
Being in WA State you'll have little problem finding a class.

That is one nice looking sidecar rig!

I'm jealous.

1) What does it mean "don't ride it home if you haven't ridden before"? What if I'm starting from home? :ha
2) You have to get a sidecar license?

Some states require a different license for a three-wheeler than for a bike. That's a recognition of the considerably different skills required for a trike or sidecar rig. Many states do not yet differentiate between a two wheeled motorcycle and three wheeler. California allows operation of a sidecar rig with a standard auto drivers license, as the Governator discovered after extricating his HD outfit from the rear end of a car.

Even if your state does not require a different endorsement, I strongly urge you to take the S/TEP before attempting to drive your new rig away from your house. Even after you realize that a sidecar outfit doesn't steer backwards like a two wheeler and get your new rig pulled out of the neighbor's picket fence, there are many more lessons to be learned. Yes, there are many crashes among new sidecarists, some fatal. Getting some experience in a training rig off-street is similar to a complete novice getting some training on a bike before heading into traffic for the first time.

For more info on the S/TEP, contact your state motorcycle safety coordinator, or the Evergreen Safety Council in Seattle, www.esc.org or 800 521-0778.

pmdave

Thanks for all the kind comments everyone.

Regarding the addiction, I agree w/ pmdave and others, once you try riding a rig it is either for you or it is not (but most will be hooked). I was on the fence as to whether I'd want to trade the grace and effortlessness of cornering a motorcycle for the muscling oddity of getting a rig through corners. Then of course, unlike motorcycling, left and right-hand corners require different techniques and attention to differing safety issues. I was willing to give it a try in order to travel w/ our dog and now I prefer the rig over two wheels, in part due to the challenge, in larger part (as glenfiddich mentions) due to the experience of bringing my dog along for the ride. Having Domino travel w/ me changes everything about cycling, traveling, and my relationship w/ him! That young dog taught this middle-aged man a new trick.

Regarding safety courses, I wanted to take one. When I made the deal to buy the rig, which was a quick decision a little before I was ready to buy upon discovering the perfect rig (for me) was for sale, I looked into courses. The summer would have been past before I could get into a course. I would advise anyone to wait for the course or find/borrow a rig to practice in a parking lot. I considered these options but still decided to ride the rig home. Again, I'd advise others differently for their safety and to clear my conscience.

Going against the advice I'd give, I felt lucky to immediately lock onto the advice that driving a sidecar rig was unlike anything else, especially a motorcycle. With that, I began reading, reading, reading. I kept thinking about the days spent on tractors. This sounds like an absurd comparison and it is if taken beyond the recognition of asymmetry. Pulling hay cutting sickles, side-rakes, and bailers, operation is all about symmetry, or lack thereof. I had the memory of learning to control a tractor w/ asymmetrical implements connected to it, and compared that to a sidecar rig, in theory. I felt if I always had that as my frame of mind when on the sidecar rig, I would be thinking about the right things. I picked up the rig in May w/ my wife following me in our car. I practiced on some quiet side streets before getting on the road and into traffic. I felt, worst case, I'd go back to Kevin's house and ask him to store the rig and I'd come back w/ a trailer that day or the next. The practice and month of studying concluded I could control the rig, I just needed to be sure and take it easy. If I held anyone up behind me, I'd pull over in the first safe spot and let them by. I also planned a quiet backroad route where I could. The last thing I wanted to do was get on a busy highway right away. Luckily for me, it worked out well.

In my years of motorcycling, I've taken MSF courses several times as refresher courses and I've always learned something new! I plan to take some sidecar classes this winter and I'm lucky to have several large, empty on the weekend, high school parking lots two blocks from my house to practice. My best advice, as Dave mentions as well, know a rig is unlike anything else to operate, especially unlike a motorcycle. The issue of asymmetry changes everything from cornering, to braking, to accelerating. Know the how's and why's of that, then practice. I like to read about one or two exercises and then go practice those two, stopping sometimes during practice to reread, until practice and theory result in skill.

For those thinking of riding a rig, don't let the opportunity pass you by. It may not be for you but it won't hurt to try, and there's the possibility you will absolutely love it. As Dave mentions, take a safety class that supplies the rig, you only have to pay the course fee, a small cost if you don't like it in the end. If you do, you may be loaded w/ money to buy a rig or you might get lucky as I did and find a well set-up, affordable rig that needs nothing but personalization, some gasoline, and a dog to ride along! Anyone wanna buy an 1150GS...

Last edited:
Pay attention to those hackers who advise you that driving a three wheeler is completely different from riding a bike.

Dave, is this sentence as you intended it? If yes, can you explain it because in my first read of it I missed the exact grammar and read it as:
"...who advise you that driving a three wheeler is not different from riding a bike"

boxermaf-
Let me know if you want photos of the rigging on mine. It has a great sub-frame that makes the "weak" /7 frame worthy of sidecar work. I have a ton of SmugMug photos of my rig and can get some on there that are more rigging specific.

Good luck w/ your build!

Thanks for the link Grafik.

Oh, there will be a Season TWO! I can't wait, but I have a lot of snowshoeing to do until then.

Dave, is this sentence as you intended it? If yes, can you explain it because in my first read of it I missed the exact grammar and read it as:
"...who advise you that driving a three wheeler is not different from riding a bike"

I meant it the way I wrote it. Lots of motorcyclists, even after years of experienced on two-wheelers, fail to appreciate that attaching a third wheel to the same motorcycle creates an entirely different vehicle with very different operating dynamics.

It would be comical to watch an experienced (two-wheeled) rider hop on a sidecar rig for a test drive, with little or no coaching or practice--if the results wouldn't be so drastic.

Most sidecarists have encountered more than a few veteran riders who poo poo the idea that they might need some instruction to handle a hack. After the crash, the survivor suddenly becomes an outspoken representative for learning before hitting the streets.

As one new hacker put it to me, (through a wired jaw) "I know you guys mentioned it in the course, but you should have held me down on the floor and pounded it into my head."

So, yes, when an experienced hacker suggests that driving a rig has very little in common with riding a bike, it would be good to pay attention.

pmdave

Seems that side car training is expanding into Colorado.

New S/TEP Instructors in Colorado

ABATE of Colorado now has 10 new S/TEP Instructors available to teach Sidecar/Trike classes in the state of Colorado.

ABATE of Colorado sponsored this S/TEP Instructor Prep in June and ESC Chief Instructors David Wendell and Monty Lish came to Colorado to teach the IP.

Also attending the IP was new S/TEP Instructor John Sears from Massachusetts. Please watch our website for future classes to be offered in Colorado.

step_colorado.jpg

Back