• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

New in Minnesota

RobG

Just wanted to say hello and tell everyone about myself.

I'm an older rider with 40 years of experience and I am height challenged (30" inseam). I am planning on buy a new to me motorcycle for long distance travel and commuting to work in the spring. I really like the idea on having screw adjustments on the valves and I have always really liked the design of the R type BMWs, in particular the 1100 and 1150 models.

My problem is the height thing. I have tried on an R1200RT with the low suspension, but it is still too tall. I think that an R1200C would fit, but the cruiser doesn't fit my riding style.

I've come to the conclusion that my best option is an R1100R with side cases and a wind screen. I like naked bikes and so the style works and the lower weight is great as well. I have not been about to find one locally ( I live in Minnesota) to try it on, so I thought I would ask you folks for comments.

My goal is the find a machine that can last a long time and go a lot of miles without too many problems. What are your thoughts?

RobG -

Welcome to the forum! Being originally from Minnesota, I don't see how you guys get all your riding up there...I guess that's why I ended up in Texas!!

I would suggest that you mosey on down to some of the other technical forums, such as Oilhead or Hexhead and see if they might be able to answer your questions about the height and dealing with it. You could also try the Search function, especially the Advanced Search feature to limit searching in specific forums. The issue with inseam has been discussed a few times, so I think you might find past topics to help focus your questions.

Good luck...and hope summer arrives soon up there!!

inseam

I am 5' 10" with a 29" inseam. I ride an 04 1150RT. I got a lower seat and cut off part of the rubber bumpers under the seat. I can just put both feet flat on the ground. Once the bike gets moving all is magic. Love the balance and feel of it. Some have sugested not filling the tank all the way (less top heavy). I have droped it a couple of times but that is just part of the fun. Think I have my drops fixed for the most part, been 5 months since last one.

Good luck with your search. Great time to get a deal on a bike. I got mine last year in November.

Ken Denton

Welcome to the Forum. I'm 5'6 and ride a 1200 GSA. It has the extra low seat off the low-suspension R model. orks for my 30" inseam.

Hey there RobG

My '04 R1150RT gets along with my 30 1/2" inseam just fine. I've learned a technique to flat foot both feet when I need to, but most of the time I'm comfortable just using the balls of my feet. Never have dropped it (close with leaves on the garage floor).

I did meet a fellow this fall with the same bike who had a 28" inseam. He had the saddle rebuilt (I think by Rick Mayer). The most helpful thing was shaving the foam in a fashion which brought his thighs closer together so he had less to straddle. It worked.

I've been riding for 45 years and the RRT is my favorite for rolling down the highway and not getting beat to death by the wind.

Good luck!

Thanks for the advice

Thanks for all the advice and thanks the the person who posted the link to

http://cycle-ergo.com/ (I found it in a different forum)

This site is amazing for identifying which models will fit me. It looks like the R1100R, the K1200RS and maybe the R1100RS will fit. It also indicates that the new K1600GTL will fit. It's nice to compare in such an easy way, It even tells me why my hips get sore on my current bike.

RobG

I'd suggest you take a look at an R1150R. Lighter than an 1100 and dual sparked. I find the R an extremely capable touring bike and much more fun to ride than an RT (I have both). The lack of fairing makes work on the machine quite a bit more efficient. I find it also makes it more stable on the open road. The bike does not move as much in gusts or turbulence. There is less material to catch air movement.

John

The R1150R

I am going to try on an R1150R, but the seat on that model is not adjustable and I expect it is too tall. It looks like the R1200R will work, but I'm concerned about the maintenance issues that the over head cams might cause. I like the screw and nut adjustments that the 1100 and 1150 have. You have to check them more often, but it's a lot easier to do. I suspect that the best fit for me will be the R1100R, with side cases and the plexi-glass windscreen. The style is a bit retro and unusual and it really appeals to me. The light weight is a huge bonus as well, my brother has a Honda ST1100 and he layed it down (slowly in a parking lot) it took the help of a passerby to get it vertical. That's not the situation I want to be in.

Hi!

Welcome Rob,
I ride a GS Adv with and inseam of about 30"-31", 5'9" almost. I'm having fun with it.
Just bought a 95 R1100R (to bad its out in California right now) so I'll be curious as to what windshield you decide on. Keep me posted please!

Jeff ------just S. of St. Paul about 20 miles

Did you buy the one in Orange CA?

Jeff

Just wondering if you bought the R1100R that was for sale at Irv Seaver's? They had a really nice low mileage (5K) last week for a pretty fair price. I almost called them up to see if they could store it until spring. It was setup, just about the way that I would want. If it had been March I would have moved a bit quicker.

It always amazes my how many really nice low mileage motorcycles there are out there. In the summer I can't spend enough time on my bike. It's always been that way for me, riding is like the best drug I could ever find. It makes me feel great, and it always makes my day better.

Jeff

Just wondering if you bought the R1100R that was for sale at Irv Seaver's? They had a really nice low mileage (5K) last week for a pretty fair price. I almost called them up to see if they could store it until spring. It was setup, just about the way that I would want. If it had been March I would have moved a bit quicker.

It always amazes my how many really nice low mileage motorcycles there are out there. In the summer I can't spend enough time on my bike. It's always been that way for me, riding is like the best drug I could ever find. It makes me feel great, and it always makes my day better.

Missed this sorry! No I bought one in Cali. and it had a side car attached to it. It's got 67000 miles on it and still going strong. Motors and transmissions are readily replaceable so I'm not worried. I'm looking forward to the fly and ride this spring.
In the meantime its going to -17 tonight:banghead

Hi Rob. Welcome! I have a 30" inseam and I'm 5' 9". I ride an R1100RS, which has an adjustable seat. I ride with the seat in the middle position, which is the best balance between being able to reach the ground and not being too folded up while under way. I think the RS would fit you, and I also think the R would be great. Best wishes on finding the best bike for you!

Back