• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

"Must Ride" Roads in Colorado and Southern Utah?

A buddy and I are toying with a ride to Colorado and Southern Utah late next spring. We're thinking we would trailer the bikes to Fort Carson and leave the truck there, then ride for 6-8 days. Any of you locals want to recommend "must ride" roads that we should include as we plan our route? Thanks.

You mentioned that you and your buddy would be coming out next spring. What month? I ask that because "spring" in CO can be an adventure and that's along the Front Range (that includes Ft. Carson) and we've had blizzards in mid to late April!

Since you'll be right there at Ft. Carson I also recommend taking Hwy 115 (it runs right by the Post) to Penrose and continue to Florence, when you get there take Hwy 67 to Wetmore then take a right onto Hwy 96, this will take you over Wet Moutain Pass. Once you reach the apex of the pass you'll see a road to your left - Hwy 165 - that will take you to Rye. It wil also take you to a very popular tourist site known as Bishop's Castle - a must see! You really should take this side jaunt, the castle is about twelve miles the turnoff which makes it easy to double back and continue your journey into Westcliffe. Once in Westcliffe take a right onto Hwy 69 to Texas Creek and then take another right onto Hwy 50 and head towards Canon City. From Canon City you can continue on towards Pueblo then jump back onto Hwy 115 and head back to the Post.

The ride descibed above is approximately 140 miles and it ends up being a big loop. If you have more time that day you can make the ride a lot more interesting and divert onto Hwy 9, this is about eight ot ten miles BEFORE you get to Canon City. If you stay on it Hwy 9 will take you into Hartsel, the home of SouthPark (say hello to Cartman, Kyle, Kenny, et al) and then head back towards Colorado Springs via Wilkerson Pass. Along this road you'll eventually enter Woodland Park where you can take Hwy 67 north to Deckers, this is one of my favorite routes to take and I guarantee that you will be pleased!

In the southwestern part of the state I suggest Hwy 550 near Durango, Hwy 145 out of Dolores (it gets REAL purty once you reach Stoner) to Telluride, Hwy 133 out of Paonia. Anything in and around the town of Gunnison and make sure you ride to the Black Canyon of the Gunnison.

I know there's lots of good roads west of the Denver 'burbs but I'm familiar enough with Hwy 285 where it intersects C470 and takes you west into Indian Hills and then Kittredge (watch out for LEO's with instant on radar in this area). If you ride this area make sure you also ride Hwy 74 to Evergreen then head northwest towards Bergen Park, jump onto Hwy 103 BEFORE you get to Bergen Park and ride to Echo Lake. The roads in this area are incredible, you can thank me later.:)

You mentioned that you and your buddy would be coming out next spring. What month? I ask that because "spring" in CO can be an adventure and that's along the Front Range (that includes Ft. Carson) and we've had blizzards in mid to late April!

Since you'll be right there at Ft. Carson I also recommend taking Hwy 115 (it runs right by the Post) to Penrose and continue to Florence, when you get there take Hwy 67 to Wetmore then take a right onto Hwy 96, this will take you over Wet Moutain Pass. Once you reach the apex of the pass you'll see a road to your left - Hwy 165 - that will take you to Rye. It wil also take you to a very popular tourist site known as Bishop's Castle - a must see! You really should take this side jaunt, the castle is about twelve miles the turnoff which makes it easy to double back and continue your journey into Westcliffe. Once in Westcliffe take a right onto Hwy 69 to Texas Creek and then take another right onto Hwy 50 and head towards Canon City. From Canon City you can continue on towards Pueblo then jump back onto Hwy 115 and head back to the Post.

The ride descibed above is approximately 140 miles and it ends up being a big loop. If you have more time that day you can make the ride a lot more interesting and divert onto Hwy 9, this is about eight ot ten miles BEFORE you get to Canon City. If you stay on it Hwy 9 will take you into Hartsel, the home of SouthPark (say hello to Cartman, Kyle, Kenny, et al) and then head back towards Colorado Springs via Wilkerson Pass. Along this road you'll eventually enter Woodland Park where you can take Hwy 67 north to Deckers, this is one of my favorite routes to take and I guarantee that you will be pleased!

In the southwestern part of the state I suggest Hwy 550 near Durango, Hwy 145 out of Dolores (it gets REAL purty once you reach Stoner) to Telluride, Hwy 133 out of Paonia. Anything in and around the town of Gunnison and make sure you ride to the Black Canyon of the Gunnison.

I know there's lots of good roads west of the Denver 'burbs but I'm familiar enough with Hwy 285 where it intersects C470 and takes you west into Indian Hills and then Kittredge (watch out for LEO's with instant on radar in this area). If you ride this area make sure you also ride Hwy 74 to Evergreen then head northwest towards Bergen Park, jump onto Hwy 103 BEFORE you get to Bergen Park and ride to Echo Lake. The roads in this area are incredible, you can thank me later.:)

Thanks. What we're planning is to ride 5-6 days, beginning and ending at Fort Carson. I met the current Fort Carson CG at his HQ in Baghdad in April 2003, so maybe he'll let us park our truck on post for a week!

great area

Spanky gave good loops and those would be my suggestions heading west from Fort Carson. I have motorcycled in that area for 40 years since I live in Canon City. Head that way west then from Durango or Telluride go west to Bluff, Utah up Moki Dugway then the ferry across Lake Powel. Come back by way of Moab and west up the river to the interstate. West to Grand Junction, either state on the interstate to Frisco and Colo-9 back or stay on US-50 back to Ft. Carson. You can't go wrong either of those roads through Colo.

So many roads....so little time!!

You'll have a blast!

Might want to get a copy of the book, "Motorycycle Journeys through the Southwest" by Marty Berke. If you don't want to buy it I'm sure your local library can get it through an interlibrary loan.

I'd head west on Hwy 24 from Colorado Springs....through Woodland Park, over Wilkerson Pass, then head to Poncha Springs to turn west on Hwy 50. Over Monarch Pass (Continental Divide). Visit the Black Canyon of the Gunnison, then over to Montrose, south to Ouray. Stay the night in Ouray and sit in the hot springs to soothe the bones after a great ride!!

Next morning, but not too early, you want the sun to be up so you get all the scenery, continue south on Hwy 550 (the Million Dollar Highway) to Silverton, and on to Durango. Have the camera fully charged for this ride! Down to Durango. If you're ahead of schedule, head west to Dolores, north to Rico and back to Ridgway to complete the Million Dollar Highway Loop.

I haven't done any rides in UT. If you want a northern New Mexico adventure (and real Mexican food), go south out of Durango to Aztec NM, east on Hwy 64 to Chama and on to Taos (If you're still hungry for Mexican food, stop on the north side of town at Orlando's). From Taos do the Enchanted Circle which runs over the Sangre de Cristo range, over to Cimarron, then loop back west to Questa. From Questa, start your trip back to Colorado Springs by taking the "backroad"...Questa north to San Luis (oldest town in Colorado), just along the Sangre de Cristo range and next to Culebra Peak (southernmost 14'er in the US) up to Fort Garland where you'll be at the foot of Blanca Peak (4th highest peak in Colorado. Turn east on Hwy 160 and head over to La Veta to make the Scenic Highway of Legends (passing over La Veta Pass and Cucharas Pass). That'll bring you into Trinidad, CO where you hit the Santa Fe Trail. Run an hour east to see Bent's Fort for some western history, then back to the Springs on the backroads to finish the trip.

Have a great time!!

piperjim

Do an advanced search under the user name "sfarson" and the word "Colorado", and you'll pull up a bunch of good threads.

I would think Steve's book on Colorado roads would be out by now.

Do an advanced search under the user name "sfarson" and the word "Colorado", and you'll pull up a bunch of good threads.

I would think Steve's book on Colorado roads would be out by now.

Not until the spring. Assigned editor at the publisher is juggling this "project" (as they call it), and another. Maybe I made it too big.
lol.gif
Currently developing a web version of the book. At least I can control that! Will be turned on Q1 of 2011.

Not until the spring. Assigned editor at the publisher is juggling this "project" (as they call it), and another. Maybe I made it too big.
lol.gif
Currently developing a web version of the book. At least I can control that! Will be turned on Q1 of 2011.

Wow, I know someone famous!!:wave

Wow, I know someone famous!!:wave

Randy... Infamous is probably the more accurate description. :)

Rinty... More likely, since I need to see Banff, Kelowna, and other friends up there, I'll probably be heading north soon! And hey... ski season is here!

You really need to specify what kind of riding (macadam, gravel, dirt roads and single track trails all abound) Are you riding a GS? an LT? One up or Two up, loaded with gear or not, makes a big difference. Many of the dirt roads are good with a street bike but conditions can change daily. Some of the best roads are unpaved some of the trails (single track) are a bitch on a Honda 90 and would be impossible on a BMW , even a F series GS.

And Spanky if you ask for Wet Mountain Pass no one will know what you are talking about the local name is Hardscrabble Pass.

And as to great riding in Colorado, just about anywhere West of I 25.

Roads southwest of Canon City

These roads from Florence or Canon City into the Wet Mountains are all paved if you stick to State-67 to 96 to Westcliffe over Hardscrabble then you can go north or south. Or State-165 to Bishops Castle and Rye over Bigelow Divide, these are all beautiful rides with little traffic. South then over US-160 and LaVeta Pass and through the San Luis Valley into the San Juan Mountains, wow you will be in spectacular scenary.

There are so many great roads in Colorado to ride. Highway 141 south of Grand Junction just could be the best ride in Colorado and there is a world class car musem in Gateway that should not be missed and there is a great place stay in a very nice motel. Independence pass into Aspen and then over McClure into Paonia on your way to higway 141. Trail Ridge road in Rocky Mountain National Park is an incredible ride even though you will encounter tourists and traffic. Cameron Pass north of Ft. Collins into North Park area on up into Laramie Wyoming and over the Snowy River Range is another great ride. Red Mountain pass on the Million Dollar Highway from Durango to Ridgeway is another great ride and will make you wish there were more guardrails.
Good riding to you. Enjoy Colorado.

Back