• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Small Clock and Temperature Gauge

Dave_Hemenway

Folks,

I saw a small clock at a local dealer that got me thinking about adding a clock and temperature gauge to my R90/6. I went to the Formotion website, picked out a Signature series clock, temperature gauge and two brackets. A few days latter I received them and they looked nice. So I put them on my bike and am very happy with them. I have attached a picture of them. This was the first time in a long time that one of my ideas went from conceptual to implemented in less than a week.

Have Fun!

Dave

Attachments

• BMW Clock and Temperature Gauge.jpg
    BMW Clock and Temperature Gauge.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 200
couldn't agree more

i have used their products on several of my bikes, and have been very pleased with the results.

The temp guage though, you have to be careful where you mount it. A dark black surface is not a good choice. DAMHIK :hungover

Temp guage

is that just an outside tempature guage??

or are you attempting to get engine temp??

I have a luftmiester oil temp dipstick on my bike gives oil tempature.

Plus a digital clock and digital outside temp guage I got from "Target" auto section on mine bike.

Trying to measure engine temp on an airhead is like trying to herd cats.:wave

Back in the 70s -early 80's, VDO made some really nice deep-drawn aluminum, crinkle-finish, handlebar mounts for their 52mm black-faced "Cockpit" series gauges. They were waterproof, illuminated, and included a shock isolators and bar clamp with them.

I couldn't even find an example of them on Google, maybe the housings (called "cups") are no longer available. The Cockpit series gauges still are but there's no way to mount them on a naked bike.

Well, there is... there's these. They are VDO, they're plastic, and not water-proof (intended for automotive interior use).

79-CBX-116-A.jpg

But long before the cockpit series, VDO made this absolutely gorgeous clock; an 8-day mechanical movement International Six Day Trials clock.
Expect to pay $3,000 for one... .

vdo_touring_8.jpg

The handlebar temperature gauge is just for measuring air temperature. Sometimes I have wondered what the temperature is...now I will know. If I want to know the temperature of my motor, I would use my infared temperture gauge and check numerous spots on the engine.

i have used their products on several of my bikes, and have been very pleased with the results.

The temp guage though, you have to be careful where you mount it. A dark black surface is not a good choice. DAMHIK :hungover

Great point... I didn't think about the affect of having a black face on the temperature gauge. I will have to see how it works out.

infared temp guage

The handlebar temperature gauge is just for measuring air temperature. Sometimes I have wondered what the temperature is...now I will know. If I want to know the temperature of my motor, I would use my infared temperture gauge and check numerous spots on the engine.

Yes this is a great way to determine if something is up. Can measure exhuast side of head, intake side, cylinder temp ect. I also use this for checking wheel bearings on my trailer during a trip.

Great point... I didn't think about the affect of having a black face on the temperature gauge. I will have to see how it works out.

It certainly is a great point. I mounted Formotion clock and temp guages with BLACK faces on the BLACK dash of my S fairing. Love the information, but it took me a while to figure out why my thermometer always seemed to read about 100 degrees when I got out of the diner. I'm not all that bright. Black faced clocks, on the other hand, don't seem to run any faster.

Cheers.

I found it necessary to mount the tempeture gauge in the shade (so to speak) I mounted mine under the accessory shelf on my RT to keep it out of direct sunlight. When I decided to sell the bike I left it in place for the new owner to enjoy. Now I need to get another for my LT...

Back