• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Riding the dirt roads

dadayama

So i've ridden through every one of the 77 counties in Oklahoma. I've been on a few dirt roads. Lately i have been trying to search out dirt road routes to travel on for practice.

I am wanting to ride the Continental Divide route in 2012 so i thought i should actually practice some dirt roads going longer distances. On average i am comfortable going about 40 miles an hour, am i a wussy going so slow? I've been on some roads that 20 mph was the top speed. Been trying to do the stand up thing while riding more, makes me nervous but i think i can feel the bike acting better.

Being mostly self taught on a motorcycle and not getting my first bike until eighteen (my parents would never have let me have a dirt bike), i guess what I'm asking is advice, as best it can be given over the internet, on how to ride dirt roads. I look at adventure rider and i see a lot of dirt bikers riding single tracks, but that isn't my interest. I'm thinking back country like the Continental Divide trail with a bigger motorcycle loaded with camping gear, heading down a dirt, gravel, crap road.

Though, most times i don't lay my bike over, i would like to be a more confident rider.

What say all you GS'ers or Off the Beaten Path types...?

Thanks
Pedro in OKC, OK

A few months ago I wrote a 2-part series on this in the BMW ON, called "Untrainable."

I can't remember exactly which issues, but it was something like May/June or June/July.

if you've tossed your back issues, send me a PM and I will send you the articles.

Ian

(40mph is plenty fast enough on dirt roads... this isn't a race!)

It sounds like your getting a good grasp of the skills. I purchased the DVDs that marchyman suggested and worked on those skills to help me improve and gain confidence. I also took the BMW GS riding course last year that was offered by the local dealer. I still have a long way to go to get my skills to the expert level, but I'm pretty comfortable with the type of conditions that you describe. Getting instruction from someone who knows the proper techniques is extremely helpful and important to get to that higher level of confidence. By the end of the BMW course, I was riding my GS in ways I never would have believed I could.

I too am looking at the CDR, possibly in September 2011, but that's still tenative. I rode much of the OBDR to the Redmond rally, and from what i've seen of the CDR, it should be comparable. FWIW, I spent most of the miles on the OBDR in the bottom three gears, only when the road was really superb did I get over 60 Km/h (40 mph).

Welcome:)

Its such a good read for me to consume, when I find posts like this:). I'm a life long dirt guy, teaching and all in my past to those wishing to follow the adventurous lifestyles I've found SOOOO rewarding most of my life. Keep it up. I was the GS Chair guy in Redmond and did some "on the Oregon trail" classes there too and saw so much happiness and smiles from many like yourself, taking the plunge to learn a new life on two wheels. The forest byways are a challenge/learning curve of which you'll find much happiness as you partake in it and find yourself achieving more and more skills. You already meantioned one of the most importatnt commandments of dirt riding, "standing" a lot will indeed keep the bike under you more and more. Take breaks(sit) on the easy parts of the trail/dirt roads, but standing the softer gravel and sandy conditions will keep you much happier. I teach this two up as well:). Passengers, as I did in Redmond, CAN and will be great passengers on dirt, standing as well, a unit! Remember the speed is your freind on loser dirt byways and standing too. Stand as soon as you can on takeoff on loose sand/gravel and build your speed to 25-30+ and beyond for the best front wheel float on top. You will begin to steer with your shift of weight on the pegs as speed increases, not so much handlebar anymore:)...Slow equals plowing the road and bad bike manners and sitting will create a fall soon enough... My best first tips:) Best regards to ya and maybe we'll meet up someday. Randy"Polarbear"Owens. Happy Trails.

Because of where we live, a great deal of Annie and my riding is on dirt roads. I do not consider myself particularly skilled in off-road riding, but I do it a bunch and have always gotten there and back in one piece. Applying the techniques Polarbear describes above is enough for you to handle just about any dirt road and enjoy the ride. Just remember that close encounters with the dirt when riding on it are part of the deal. Stand-up; head & eyes up; just enough speed; easy on the front brake; smile.

I say get a smaller bike and practice as much as you can.

The biggest key to riding off road is staying relaxed, which is really hard to do when your trying to learn dirt on a GS.

I'd also say that it's just about impossible to become a good dirt rider without crashing a few times, again this points to finding a cheap, older UJM dual sport to thrash a bit.

I've laid it over several times, the last time i was going trough a patch of mud, Oklahoma red clay, and the bike just slid out from underneath me and i landed on my feet. The bad thing was it was a complete bitch to get the bike back up as i could not get a good footing, my feet kept sliding. There was no one around and i was a long ways out, but finally got the bike up. That's when i decided i need more friends who ride motorcycles and i should find some one to go on the Continental Divide route with me.

Hey MCMXCIVRS, what does OBDR mean?

Thanks for all the advice so far.

Peter

I've laid it over several times, the last time i was going trough a patch of mud, Oklahoma red clay, and the bike just slid out from underneath me and i landed on my feet. The bad thing was it was a complete bitch to get the bike back up as i could not get a good footing, my feet kept sliding. There was no one around and i was a long ways out, but finally got the bike up. That's when i decided i need more friends who ride motorcycles and i should find some one to go on the Continental Divide route with me.

Hey MCMXCIVRS, what does OBDR mean?

Thanks for all the advice so far.

Peter

Curious, what did you have for tires? I know a lot of people that won't put TKC's (DOT Knobbies) on their GS when it would make a ton of difference.

I think they help more on dirt than they detract on pavement.

Curious, what did you have for tires? I know a lot of people that won't put TKC's (DOT Knobbies) on their GS when it would make a ton of difference.

I think they help more on dirt than they detract on pavement.

TKCs front and back. Wouldn't suggest using any of the more road oriented DS tires for the route unless you skipped a lot of the rougher sections. I've had no issues with them on pavement other than the rapid wear.

TKCs front and back. Wouldn't suggest using any of the more road oriented DS tires for the route unless you skipped a lot of the rougher sections. I've had no issues with them on pavement other than the rapid wear.

I was asking the OP what tires he was using when he was slip sliding away.

"Curious, what did you have for tires? I know a lot of people that won't put TKC's (DOT Knobbies) on their GS when it would make a ton of difference.

I think they help more on dirt than they detract on pavement."

I know I know... I have Metzlers Tourance on right now. For the Continental Divide I'll get TKs or something along those lines.

I ride all the time, commute to work in the cold etc... that is why i choose the tire i did, for the road. I've been curious how some knobbies would handle different then the regular "dualsport" tires. But daily wear is also a concern, I'm all ready getting a flat spot and they are not even 6 months old.

Thanks
Peter

Knobs vs DS;

Knobs are the obvious BEST choice for offroad, but me included, a lifer offroader, use DS for the money concerns and I ride everywhere. Sand/mud/snow are my worst enemies with DS tires in place, but that said I still go advenur'in with a TON of experience under my belt. Air pressure is more important with DS tires and less air equals better traction offroad. This applies to Knobs too, but the DS tires, this is paramount. Less air, I mean to 20lbs or less for deep gravel and so on. ME, if money was not an issue, Knobs would be the tire of choice on my GSA. I'm a bit frugal. For a Cont.Devide ride, where so many offroad miles are present, I may splurge and save up for the TKC tires. I know many that run TKC knobs on the front only for good front tire behavior on soft terrain. Fronts usually go around 6000m and a rear TKC is gone quickly at around 3000m. Speed may help with miles too and toning down your highway cruising to 65mph or less will help with knob wear. MY GSA1200 does not know 65 very often on the superslabs and this would be a challenge to learn the less speed thing for wear on the TKC knobs:). Randy

"Curious, what did you have for tires? I know a lot of people that won't put TKC's (DOT Knobbies) on their GS when it would make a ton of difference.

I think they help more on dirt than they detract on pavement."

I know I know... I have Metzlers Tourance on right now. For the Continental Divide I'll get TKs or something along those lines.

I ride all the time, commute to work in the cold etc... that is why i choose the tire i did, for the road. I've been curious how some knobbies would handle different then the regular "dualsport" tires. But daily wear is also a concern, I'm all ready getting a flat spot and they are not even 6 months old.

Thanks
Peter

As you experiement in the dirt a set of TKC's is well worth the investment.

On pavement you will not notice a whole lot of difference unless you push hard, then you'll get little wobbles as the blocks move a bit. You do have significant less contact area so breaking distances and such need to be accounted for. On faster roads or the slab you may find the front wandering a tiny amount or a slight vibration in the bars. This is speed / tire pressure related.

The first time you use knobbies it also may feel like your drive train is going bad, there will be a little snatch every now and again. It's nothing to worry about but all the more reason to run a set before you go off on your trip.

I agree with Randy's points about tire pressure, expense and all that and for him it works as it would for anyone else with his experience.

As you don't have the experience when you wear out the Tourances you have I say get yourself a set of TKC's, you'll be glad you did.

While you learn you can easily bash up enough stuff (windscreen, turn signals, levers (foot and hand) that will cost sustantially more then wearing out a set of TKC's. That's before the potential injuries to yourself.

Speaking of which you also need to know how to dismount (bail out when you know you're going down) and pick the bike up in the woods.

Confidence...an essential accessory to adventure riding...

Confidence in your physical ability, your machine, equipment, and riding skills are essential and mostly a matter of practice / trial and error / and a crash or two. Doesn't seem to be much of a way out of the last one and I’ve become quite good at crashing as the years have gone by. The dirt will punish the timid rider and brutalize the aggressive ones. Wear protective gear even while plodding down a quiet dirt country lane as things get out of hand faster than you can think sometimes.

Knobby tires for off road or "maintained" dirt are what you want so you will be ready for anything. BIG GNARLY CHUNKY SQUARES OF RUBBER chewing into the dirt are so much more fun and inspire confidence in your riding. I opt for DOT approve for high output engines and for legal speeds on asphalt where you'll spend a bit of time as well. You will realize why they are called "dirt tires" right away. Dual Sport tires are mostly useless for my purposes although I keep a set of Sahara’s mounted to spare rims for times I ‘might’ want to do a bit more pavement than dirt (and haven’t used them once in two years). You don’t have to spend a fortune on knobbies either to get what you need. You'll have lots of options for your F650.

I've been running the dirt roads in North Central Texas out of Denton for 20 years or more on my dirt BMW and have made a few forays into the Weyerhaeuser Paper company property over on the South Eastern quadrant of Oklahoma. MOST EXCELLENT riding in there...you can get lost for days wandering the old logging roads. There you’ll find every conceivable type of riding conditions to practice for the Continental Divide trip.

I second the idea of riding standing if for no other reason than to see over then next little rise. The bike is somehow more controllable standing and the technique is useful going slow or fast. Low speeds are what my friends and I call “Cow Trailing” and that’s fine…Great point was made about taking a look around which is why you are out there in the first place. The faster you go the more you have to focus on the trail / road ahead. Just try and keep in mind that the application of throttle gets you out of trouble in the dirt more often than not which is a bit counterintuitive but there it is… The dirt will punish the timid rider ~!

Go play in the Weyerhaeuser for a day…watch out for logging trucks. Dont forget a sketch book :)

Last edited:
Love that pic:)

The old Airhead offroader:) Smiles. I've got one too I need to rebuild into an offroader, my R100/7 converts to this I hope someday. Randy:thumb:usa

The old Airhead offroader:) Smiles. I've got one too I need to rebuild into an offroader, my R100/7 converts to this I hope someday. Randy:thumb:usa

randy - mr. paul lehrer (sr09wmb, and leader of the Lost Boys) is your man to go to for how this gets done. :nod

ian

Back