• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Lifespan of various models.

P

Patsplace

I was chatting with a pal that I have put together with a 2005 1200GS and in the course of conversation lifespan of the various models came up. Is there any definitive answer as to how long the various models reasonably can be expected to last? I had a 58 R69 in Europe that I felt I could reasonably expect to ride the rest of my life if I chose to do so.

I know that there are a million variables but I was wondering whether the oil heads last longer than the air heads or is it the K models or the verticals or what have you.

Curious Pat (It's a curse)

I would posit that many original owners of running vintage and, for that matter, older airheads are dead. Some second and third owners are probably dead too. Their bikes, on the other hand, are still on the road. I fully expect to be dead before my '75 airhead is sent to the boneyard. I would think that's a testament to something. We won't know about the oil/hex heads for another thirty or forty years or so.

Speaking in terms of time only and not mileage

The purely mechanical vehicles with magnetos and or simple battery and points ignition systems and drum brakes will last as long as fuel for them can be obtained.

Cuba is the best example of survival of this type of vehicle

I doubt that the more modern electronic managed vehicles will survive a long time since their electronic parts will not be easily repaired or replaced by ordinary people using simple tools - there is hope though - I have seen an oilhead at a rally with Bing carbs on it instead of the modern injection crap - I am waiting to see one with points!

Looks good from here

I put over 300,000 miles on my 1961 R69S; then sold it to a friend's Dad who now has it looking better than when it was new.

my R75/5 had over 100,000 on it when a drunk ran over it in the library parking lot.

I sold my R100Rt with just over 200,000 on it.

The R1100RT has over 100,000 on it. Headed out Friday for Savannah to put more miles on it.

I do normal maintenance and ride the living hell out of my bikes.

I doubt that the more modern electronic managed vehicles will survive a long time since their electronic parts will not be easily repaired or replaced by ordinary people using simple tools - there is hope though - I have seen an oilhead at a rally with Bing carbs on it instead of the modern injection crap - I am waiting to see one with points!

I dunno, I have found dirt cheap electronic products functioning just fine after years of neglect. I'll bet that the electronic engine management computers in most motor vehicles will outlast the machinery.

I dunno, I have found dirt cheap electronic products functioning just fine after years of neglect. I'll bet that the electronic engine management computers in most motor vehicles will outlast the machinery.

... in some cases, maybe. Experience is not proving these things to be eternal and when they do break and the technology train has pulled out of that station, there may not be a replacement available. Certain chips go out of production ...

Generally, water cooled engines will go further between rebuilds because tolerances can be held tighter. But is is the desirability of the machine that determines if it is to be rebuilt, hence the huge number of 20-30 year old Harleys around here and relatively very few 70's & 80's era jap bikes

Generally, water cooled engines will go further between rebuilds because tolerances can be held tighter. But is is the desirability of the machine that determines if it is to be rebuilt, hence the huge number of 20-30 year old Harleys around here and relatively very few 70's & 80's era jap bikes

In addition to desirability, the availability of parts plays big part. I would still have my 84 Honda Magna if I could have been assured I could get parts to keep it running. I was lucky to find a replacement part at a junk yard just before I sold it in 1998. The Japanese constantly "upgrade" their machines so that many parts only fit one or two years. In addition to making the parts expensive, they are special order or not available at all. Bikes that are made for several years without substantial changes like BMW and Harley have replacement parts available and aftermarket manufacturers also make them.

I think longevity depends primarily on the degree of care of routine maintenance over the long haul. Little things ignored become serious over time. It also depends on the degree of use compared to the weeks, months, or years of storage - and the storage conditions.

I have no doubt the Barber Museum can keep its vehicles in fine shape forever. I don't have the same degree of confidence with most home-storage situations.

Other than the obvious air vs water cooled differences I don't think which model we are talking about makes much difference. Care in use, maintenance, and storage is what matters.

I do normal maintenance and ride the living hell out of my bikes.

A Harley-trailerin' guy approached me at a gas station last weekend and was dumbfounded when I said my bike had 106,000. Then, proceeded to ask me in 10 different ways how many miles used bikes have.

"Can I get one with less than 100,000?"
"Sure."
"How much will it cost?"
"Uh.."
"Do any bikes have more than 100,000?"
"Yeah, I've heard of some with 400,000+."
"That's a lot of miles. How much would a 50,000 mile bike cost?"
etc

:ha

The Next Owner . . . . .

I was very lucky to find a nice bike when I bought my R100RT. It is a good thing I did it because the pickins' are slim now.
If I could not drive a post '70 airhead I could not have a bike. I started with a '72 R60/5. It is also important to have a source for parts and Bob's has been instrumental in allowing me to keep my m/c running.
My bike has 54,000 miles and I am 63 years old. I hope to be able to maintain it properly and remain a safe rider but I am sure my BMW will be enjoyed for many years after I am gone.
Campbell Tellman II
'93 R100RT
'11 S1000RR
:thumb

Back