• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Gentlemanly Adventures

Visian

look out!!!
... and Gentlewomanly, too, for that matter. ;)

i am working on an "Always an Adventure" article that describes three rides that are adventurous more for their scenery, history and/or remoteness instead of the riding challenge itself.

iow, these are rides that can be taken 2-up, or while hauling a month's worth of gear, confident in the knowledge that the riding challenge isn't going to be too difficult.

another aspect is that they are good alternatives to the slab when you're trying to get somewhere while wanting for a nice detour at the same time.

the rides in my article will be three routes I strung together this summer as an alternative to I-90 and I-80 on the way to Oregon:

These three will be in my article, which will also point readers to this thread.

It'd be great if there were some more routes for people to consider, so, how 'bout we take a minute to share the routes we know. And if you know how to do it, Google Maps links will be very useful.

Thanks!

ian

1116623785_hxQNS-L.jpg

Last edited:
C'mon Ian, you know a gentleman never tells. Especially if he's been to Big Sheep Creek.......:brow

Thanks Ian:)

Sometimes and more frequent these days, we are not the "gorilla's" we think we are to manhandle such a large Beemer offroad and the more sensable routes of dirt apply:). So many exist. Great suggestion/article in the works for ya. My West Coast has so many but often turn into soft sandy terrain so these are offlimits, like Navada and such, which is incredably dirt road laden with these byways. North of Reno is a raod to Pyramid Lake and North from there to Gerlach(Burning Man home) and is worthy of your look see. Its an easy, from 25 to 70mph dirt kind of road to the end of the world, desert terrain and is easy to ride. Very remote:). Take more water than gas:). "Ohpir Pass" in the Colorado Alps is a nice two up, one of the easier Colorado Passes near Teluride/Silverton. One of my recent trips East, I found "OARK",Arkansas in the heart of the Ozarks. A very simple single lane paved road into Oark and ALL dirt byways out:). This place reminded me of the movie "Deliverance"and was Sooooooo beautiful with tree covered dirt byways to awe at. Very nice Arkansas heaven here:). Just some of my recent memories of GSA dirt, that many can enjoy, even two up. Randy"Polarbear"Owens....Happy Trails Ian, your friend Randy.

One of my recent trips East, I found "OARK",Arkansas in the heart of the Ozarks. A very simple single lane paved road into Oark and ALL dirt byways out:).

Randy - I found this town on google maps and looked around a bit. this route sounds excellent.... a nice little diversion from I-40.

Do you remember much of the ride? It would be cool to map this out and make it available.

Thanks!

ian

also, what do you think about that Kaiser Pass road you wrote about before?

HI Ian;

Well, the Kaiser Pass(Sierra Nevada,CA mountains) is not a alternate route to anywhere. Its a dead end into the wilderness, but a great ride for those willing to find it. Its clearly a day ride from the freeway 99 of Fresno to go in there and enjoy it, camp out and so on. Camping is excellent with Mono Hot Springs at hand and other National Forest camps all along this high Sierra route. MHS has cabins too, but you need to call ahead, interent,etc for available cabins. Its rustic. ARKANSAS and my adventure there was neat. Oark is easy to find on Google Maps for ya. All routes out of there going North and East are dirt byways, from 15-25 miles of such. I took the Northerly mountainous exit from Oark on dirt, the only one North. Oark is famous for another item! Its home to the oldest continuosly operating general store in Arkanasas, dating back to 1800s. A grill and single pump gas are available. A NEAT stop in the center Oark,Arkansas. A stone can be thrown across this foresty burb, population is probably 15+, a guess. I enjoyed it and sat on the front porch(Oark General Store) sipped a cool drink and chatted with the locals and "dogs" a bit. NO leash laws here:)...They buy gasoline here, by how much change in their pockets, I witnessed it twice as I sat cooling off with my newfound doggy friends:)...My Beemer,GSA1200 was wierd and seemed out of place(alien), a story in this alone in Oark.:). The dirt byways are very narrow and single lane much of the way North out of there. Ian, its a worthy look see for ya. I have some pics, but getting them to ya is my nightmare here on the computer. I can try. Oark, time capsule kind of place and I loved the visit:). Randy

Hey Ian, Here's one for you...

Flat Tops Trail Scenic Byway

The Flat Tops Trail parallels Interstate 70 in Colorado for about 80 miles. It delivers a mix of 30 miles pavement, 50 miles graded dirt. Deep wilderness, serious views, massive aspen forests, huge elk herds, and a mountain pass (Ripple Creek) are the accompaniment. It is said this area was the inspiration for a wilderness preservation ethos in the west. Teddy Roosevelt hunted the area regularly 100 years ago.

BTW, Colorado 131 leading north from I-70 to the eastern launch of this ride at Yampa, is one of the finest motorcycle roads in Colorado.
nod.gif

Previews...
prevflattops1.jpg

prevflattops2.jpg

prevflattops3.jpg

Well, the Kaiser Pass(Sierra Nevada,CA mountains) is not a alternate route to anywhere.

ha... once i turned on the "satellite" view, i see why. dem are some big mountains.

i was going from memory on that, some years ago, i had plotted a ride through the area that i wound up not being able to take. thought this one was it.

ARKANSAS and my adventure there was neat. Oark is easy to find on Google Maps for ya. All routes out of there going North and East are dirt byways, from 15-25 miles of such. I took the Northerly mountainous exit from Oark on dirt, the only one North.

That looks to be County Road 34.

Are your pictures digital? Maybe i can walk you through how to e-mail them to me.

ian

oh, this is perfect... just a short jaunt from I-70...

i believe that i've ridding 131 before, as my sister used to live in Steamboat Springs.

thanks! oh, any video of Flat Tops available??? :D

ian

Oh yeah, there are vids of the Flat Tops, 131, etc. :)

Noting your criteria "another aspect is that they are good alternatives to the slab when you're trying to get somewhere while wanting for a nice detour at the same time"... there are other kind hearted and scenic dirt/off road journeys going the same direction as I-70, and not far away either, like linking the Colorado River Road and Colorado River Headwaters Scenic Byway together...

Just north of I-70, along the mighty river

On the east end, this I-70 paralleling ride skirts the heights of the Gore Canyon...
prevtrough1.jpg

Things are more pastoral elsewhere along the way...
prevcoloroad.jpg

Last edited:
Great Rive road, Starts at lake Itasca to New Orleans

I have been giving much thought to a ride down the Mississippi, it is a senic By way and takes ten days, of course at the end is New Orleans...

type in "great River Road"

that's my planned ride for next summer except starting in Venice LA (where the road ends along the Mississippi) and finishing at Lake Itasca.

Back