• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Girlfriend wants to ride solo.

A couple of points no one has mentioned yet.

Can she ride a bicycle? Sounds lame, but if you haven't been on one for 20 years it can be tricky. It is a requirement for MSF class.

How about a stick shift, can she drive a 5 speed manual car? Do you have access to one? I can recall only one person in my MSF class failing, and she was the only one with no experience with a stick. I know I want to get a 5 speed for my daughter, let her get a feel for that whole gear issue.

And don't let anyone talk her into a K75 for a first bike...to damn top heavy for a new user.

Signing my kiddo up in the spring for MSF...I can hardly wait. :dance

Sylvia drives an extended cab 4 wheel drive truck, with standard shift. I think it's a 5 speed. So she understands manual shifting. I'll check out her riding a bicycle first to get her back used to 2 wheel balancing and riding.

BMW boxer-engine bikes are best, as the weight is low and the "tippy" factor is minimized. Not much you can hurt in a tipover on a nonfairing version, either.

It hasn't been posted whether Sylvia is really short or kinda tall, but in the long run the latter is better and real short may never work out.

I think all the talk about "Rebels," etc., is simply conventional thinking and not really useful.

My girl started on an R80G/S, no problem. If you're ever going to go anywhere besides 7-11 on a motorcycle, it isn't going to be on a "kid" bike and it seems never too soon to find out what it's like on a real bike.

Starting a lady friend out on a "kid" bike with all the assumptions of "fear," etc., sounds more like male macho showing off than it does reality. If she wants to do it, give her some credit. In this context the most likely thing she doesn't have is upper body muscle strength and working on that may be the better recommendation. I have a relatively short, but athletic, male friend whose first bike ever was an R1100RT--wasn't a problem.

Try an R65, R80ST, etc. Get the saddlebags.

My wife took the MSF course last month, demoed a lowered 650GS over the course of a few weeks and has a nice surprise coming for Christmas.

She's a competitive mountain biker and that helped a lot, but she also has a great spirit for adventure.

With only a few hundred miles under her belt with the demo bike she's still tentative but she'll get comfortable quickly as long as we don't exceed her comfort zone.

She's proclaimed herself a "Dirt Girl" so we'll start her out with Heidenau K60 knobbies and crash guards.

Good luck to Sylvia and enjoy the ride!

RobStar

just enjoy learning Sylvia, never assume those cagers aka cars ever see you...ride safely, scan and get yourself some good comfy gear.

If you feel it in your gut that riding is for you...then look out...it becomes addicting and work will get in the way! See my ride report in my signature and for next years trip all ready planned....we will be heading from BC to Yukon, to NWT, Alaska and back home. The adventure is just beginning with your course!:brad

Back