• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Hyder Seek

Dave, I've not experienced anything like that altho some people can do goofy things if they've been drinking... A small number of folks are just plain mean & are happiest making others miserable. I've had similar experiences of drivers doing the same in the lower 48 & here in canuckland. While people up north tend not to be urban sophisticates (thankfully), ime everyone recognizes the importance of helping their fellow man. There are also curmudgeons who just don't want to be bothered and they let you know right away.

Well, I know that some folks up north are known to take a sip from time to time.

I think maybe I've been spoiled by my Canadian friends, especially the Bee Cee Beemers, who all seem to be intelligent, honest, and helpful.

pmdave

The last time we were at Whitehorse I bought oil at Walmart. Their auto service department loaned me a drain pan and funnel, and took away the waste oil. That was in 2008. At least then they could not have been more helpful.

Hyder

We went in August to see the salmon run so we could see bears. Here's one.

262861101_Qrn2K-XL.jpg

Is this just my imagination? Or have others experienced the same reverse-hospitality?

pmdave

Last summer, at a motel in northern BC, the owner told me not to leave anything out as there has been a rash of thefts focused on tourists. He said too many people without enough to do...

Richard

Hyder Seek 2011 Canceled

Just got an email from Ron Ayers that indicated the event will not be conducted this year. His email says in part, "In light of the many demands on my time from both the business and the family side, I can't continue to organize and run the event."

Too bad; we were looking forward to it. :cry

So, AKBeemer, it appears it's going to be up to you to organize an event up there.

Just pick a location and a date, and announce it. You might be surprised at the turnout.

pmdave

I already have reservations and vacation lined up, I'm going anyway. I just want a IBA HyderSeek T-shirt. C'mon Ron, how 'bout t'shirts at least.:brow

Yes. Let's go anyway.

Maybe we can talk to Caroline at the Boundary Gallery to order some for us.

Red?

Voni
sMilin

Annie and I are still going to make the trip to Montana via Hyder... we'll be a bit less tied to a schedule than before, but that's okay too.

So, AKBeemer, it appears it's going to be up to you to organize an event up there.

Just pick a location and a date, and announce it. You might be surprised at the turnout.

pmdave

Well Dave we sorta do something every summer. The dorms on campus are a steady stream of riders each summer already, but I guess we could look for a reason to have a gathering at a particular time. I'm open to suggestions.

The other option is to gather for Dust 2 Dawson in late June. That's always a great time.

Just got an email from Ron Ayers that indicated the event will not be conducted this year. His email says in part, "In light of the many demands on my time from both the business and the family side, I can't continue to organize and run the event."

Too bad; we were looking forward to it. :cry

Thanks for posting this, I hadn't signed up yet because I wanted to go to our BMWRO Chief Joseph Rally in John Day Oregon which is the next week after Hyder Seek. Now if I go I will be able to schedule around it but the idea of Hyder Seek sounded like a good time!

Mark
R1200GS
Heritage Softail

Hyder Seek Forum

Ron indicates that a forum has been established for folks that want to stay in touch regarding the event; I assume with an eye towards doing something in Hyder this summer.

* Group name: Hyder Seek 2011
* Group home page: http://groups.google.com/group/hyder-seek-2011
* Group email address hyder-seek-2011@googlegroups.com

If you would like to join, visit the page and log in with your Google
account (it's free to create one if you don't already have one). Then
request an invitation to join the group.

HyderSeek 2011 will happen

That is true, HyderSeek 2011 will continue but in a different format. :thumb

June 10-11, 2011

Ron Ayers has decided because of overwelming commitments that he could not do HyderSeek. Paul Lawson has set up a google group to try to put something together. Gary, owner of the Sealaska Inn, has stepped forward to help with the meals. There will be shirts and hats also. There will be no up front fee for the rally. The costs will be up to those in attendence. Costs will be for lodging, food, shirts, hats, etc. We will need a head count for the Sealaske Inn for food. Shirts and hats will be advertised on the google site for sale when they become available. We are hoping that we will be able to get some door-prizes donated for the event from some of the vendors out there.

Please help keep this event going as Ron has put so much effort in this event in the past. Please register on the site and keep checking back for updates.

Here are the sites again:

* Group name: Hyder Seek 2011
* Group home page: http://groups.google.com/group/hyder-seek-2011
* Group email address hyder-seek-2011@googlegroups.com

Note below from Gary of the Sealaska Inn.

Thank you for picking up the torch from Ron and Barb...They have done so
much and got something started that we hope will carry on.

Michele has said that she will prepare food for this event for either one
day or the usual two.
We will have to wait to see what kind of numbers that we come up with...If the group is less than 60, she will make a fixed meal ie; Baked Stuffed Halibut...More than that and she will have to go to a buffet type meal that would include both salmon and halibut.

Usually on the second day we have a barbecue buffet style with hamburgers, salads, etc.

Ron usually buys a group "Hyderize" drink for all of the qualifying 49ers
who complete the 48+...I will be happy to do that honor...We will also take pics of the new 49ers to put on the Sealaska wall with the other classes.

Gary"*

HyderSeek 2011 Shirts and Hats

The shirts and hats for HyderSeek 2011 are now available at http://www.wandrrmotorcycletours.com/HyderSeek-2011-Shirts.html . The deadline for ordering is April 15th, 2011. We will have black hats and long sleeved Safari shirts, in khaki color, with the HyderSeek logo embroidered on them. We will also have heavy duty short and long sleeved T-shirts with the logo screened printed on the left chest and on the back.

Ron Ayers will also supply every 49+ with the official 49+ hat. Ayers Adventures will also be providing two 10% off door prize certificates for any of their moto adventures.
Thanks Ron!!

Please sign up for the HyderSeek 2011 so we can get an official head count for the meals.

???

Read all the posts and have ONE big question? When/what day(s) is Hyder Seek happeneing??? I must have missed it and have not gone looking anywhere else yet. I'd love riding there this year:). Randy

Back