Thread: R90/6 Turn Signal Issue

On the Road

R90/6 Turn Signal Issue

Folks,

Today I went on a great ride thru eastern Connecticut to Wickford, Rhode Island. It was great. The temperature was in the high 50s and my good old Beemer was purring right along. Then I put my right turning signal on and it did not work. Instead the red alternator light glowed. The same thing happened when I tried the left turning signal. My thought is the turning signal relay crapped out. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave

Watkinsville, Georgia/Annapolis, Maryland
    Relay.
    Ground.
    Check the fuses in the bucket (I think your bike would have them)
    Double check that you are charging.

Do all other lights work?
    1971 BMW R75/5 | 1975 Moto Guzzi 850T Cafe | 1983 BMW R100RS | 1988 BMW R100GS
    1988 BMW K75 | 1998 BWM R1100RT | 2000 Moto Guzzi Quota 1100ES |2002 Moto Guzzi V11 LeMans

Check the big plug at the back of the instrument housing. Sounds like a bad connection and the indicator light is grounding out the system.
    www.boxermetal.com
    www.facebook.com/boxermetal
    VBMWMO #7770, BMW MOA #48694, ABC #600
    Hi my name is Chris and I am a slash-five-o-holic.

Bill Burke
    What AA said above. Remove headlamp, remove two 8 amp fuses in the headlamp bucket, clean the fuse ends to shiny metal. Use small file or other abrasive to clean fuse prong mounts. Apply a bit of dielectric grease. Replace fuses. Test.

On the Road

Turn signal problem

All of the other lights are working properly...only the turn signals are out. I will check the fuses and the ground. Thanks for the suggestions.

Watkinsville, Georgia/Annapolis, Maryland
    Another thing to consider while you are enjoying the ample elbow room inside the headlight bucket is to make a small harness to clip over the fuse socket to a couple of panel type fuse holders outside the bucket and out of weather. My bike came that way and it sure makes fuse changes easy. Not that its an everyday thing.
    1971 BMW R75/5 | 1975 Moto Guzzi 850T Cafe | 1983 BMW R100RS | 1988 BMW R100GS
    1988 BMW K75 | 1998 BWM R1100RT | 2000 Moto Guzzi Quota 1100ES |2002 Moto Guzzi V11 LeMans

On the Road
    Thanks for all the great suggestions. It turns out the flasher relay was a little loose. I pulled it off, put a little dialectic grease on it, plugged it in and all was fine. I don't understand why the red light came on when this happened, but I am glad there was an easy solution.