• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

R90/6 Turn Signal Issue

Dave_Hemenway

Folks,

Today I went on a great ride thru eastern Connecticut to Wickford, Rhode Island. It was great. The temperature was in the high 50s and my good old Beemer was purring right along. Then I put my right turning signal on and it did not work. Instead the red alternator light glowed. The same thing happened when I tried the left turning signal. My thought is the turning signal relay crapped out. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave

Relay.
Ground.
Check the fuses in the bucket (I think your bike would have them)
Double check that you are charging.

Do all other lights work?

Check the big plug at the back of the instrument housing. Sounds like a bad connection and the indicator light is grounding out the system.

What AA said above. Remove headlamp, remove two 8 amp fuses in the headlamp bucket, clean the fuse ends to shiny metal. Use small file or other abrasive to clean fuse prong mounts. Apply a bit of dielectric grease. Replace fuses. Test.

Turn signal problem

All of the other lights are working properly...only the turn signals are out. I will check the fuses and the ground. Thanks for the suggestions.

Another thing to consider while you are enjoying the ample elbow room inside the headlight bucket :laugh is to make a small harness to clip over the fuse socket to a couple of panel type fuse holders outside the bucket and out of weather. My bike came that way and it sure makes fuse changes easy. Not that its an everyday thing.

Thanks for all the great suggestions. It turns out the flasher relay was a little loose. I pulled it off, put a little dialectic grease on it, plugged it in and all was fine. I don't understand why the red light came on when this happened, but I am glad there was an easy solution.

Back