Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Driving Lights

Driving Lights

Looking for some input on driving lights. I like the clean look of the pia tucked inside the faring. I also think the caliper mounted Moto lights seem like a good idea. Is there a big difference between frame mounted compared to fork mounted. I guess I am looking for the best for my $$$.

DZIMBRIC

Talk to Lorezapam

He's the king of doing right for those with a lean wallet.

BobFV1
    I'm interested in this as well. Caliper mounts seem to make sense from a visibility standpoint (larger triangle) but the are close to the ground and closer to the road hazards, and they are right down at the end of the shock - where it shakes a lot. Could you guys who have some experience with RT light mounting let us know which brakets and where you got them? Thanks!

Driving Lights

The Saeng Nite Cutters have a strong and off color beam that is yellowish. This is very conspicuous in the day time and I am convinced that it has been helpful in keeping vehicles from turning left in front of me (in particular a restored 50's vintage fire truck, out on a sunday afternoon, that juddered and locked up the tires as I approached). At night the lights bolster my low beam, but most important they allow me to use the word conspicuity.

Hella FF50

There was a recent discussion on the LDRider list about the best "budget" driving lights. The consensus seemed to focus (pun intended) on the Hella FF50 light as providing a very good lighting level for a bargain price. I had recently purchased a pair for my K100LT prior to the discussion, but have not used them extensively enough to say that they are great for all circumstances, but I am very pleased with the look and performance. I am currently bidding on a set for my R100GS.
    Price? I paid less than $40 including shipping from one of the e-Bay stores who constantly have them in their inventory. Do a search for Hella FF50 on e-Bay to see what you can buy at a reasonable cost. The kit came with wiring harness, switch, and relay.
    Check it out, this could work for you.

DZIMBRIC

Link

Here is the link to a good thread on budget driving lights;
    http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?t=3007

The Moto lights are excellent for fill in lighting and conspicuity, but don't confuse them with driving lights, they just don't get down the road a great distance. The Hella FF50 is an excellent driving light, especially as it is a great price bargain. I live in the country where it gets dark! The Hella's really throw an excellent beam.
    Bob Weis
    Bikeless! 2004-bmw-k12rs-hannigan-Sold!

STAN

Post moto

I do not drive a lot at night, but I have been very happy with my caliper mounted Moto Lites, when I do. I also run them during the day.

I really like the caliper mounted Moto-Lights. I use them day & night & I have been told they really make you visible to other riders/drivers. Another advantage to the lights mounted lower & to the fork it that they steer with the bike & are less offensive to on-coming traffic.

They are very high quality & look like they are stock. I replaced the lamps with 55w wide MR16's. You can get these at any hardware store for about $10.00 each.

This is my bike last year before a bunch of modifications. I had the Moto-Lights installed at the dealer when I took delivery.

I like the MotoLights too- they really punch a good hole in the dark! I do prefer the fork-leg mount though, because the mounting band allows you to angle the light sslightly outward. I found that having them pointed straight ahead made the beams overlap and just make one bright circle in the middle of the lane. I angled them out so I can see all over the place, including any critters that may be lurking on the roadside.
    I also mounted them way up high at the very top of the sliders. See the pic I posted in the mesh pants thread for a good look at where mine are mounted. The reason is better light penetration into the distnace- f'rinstance if I'm not on a really smooth road, fewer shadowy spots will be generated, or more of the low spots along side will be illuminated. I like to see ALL of my surroundings ahead. Also a good fringe benefit of the higher mounting location is that the lights are much less likely to be damaged if the bike goes down. A minor consideration of course, but good nevertheless. The higher mount gives them greater conspicuity value as well.
    2012 R1200GS
    "If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's electrical." -somebody's dad
    http://www.thethingaboutcars.com/

On the Road
    Here is another thread that helped me figure out how to upgrade my lights:

http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread....eferrerid=1576

Phil Scrivano

On the Road

Moto Lights Waiting

I just added the calier mounted moto lights on my 04 r1150 rt. Over all the project took about 4 hours. It was the first time I removed the entire side panel. Install instructions were pretty easy. Just waiting for the 7 inches of snow the fell last night to melt so I can actually use them and adjust the beam.

NE Arkansas - Between Goobertown and Buck Snort

Another vote for caliper-mounted Motolights

I put 'em on my K1200GT for daytime conspicuity, but was astonished at how they flood the road with light at night. Added to the stock headlight's illumination, they make a huge difference.
    I like the clean look of the caliper mount and the brushed aluminum finish. I also like that I can buy replacement bulbs very inexpensively at Wal-Mart and install them myself. But I haven't needed to replace one yet in about 15,000 miles.

On the Road

HID the only reasonable light

Why waste your money on second class lights? Replace the headlight with a HID system and stop fooling around. Price is similar.
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by GS Tom
    There was a recent discussion on the LDRider list about the best "budget" driving lights. The consensus seemed to focus (pun intended) on the Hella FF50 light as providing a very good lighting level for a bargain price.
    I bought two sets off FF50s (one for each of my GS Adventures), each to be mounted on a TerraNova light bar.

I paid about $65 for my first set of FF50s. The second set came from Cabela's when they had the kit on for $29.99.

There may be better lights out there, but do I really need to see 2 miles down the road? I don't.