• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

winter jacket similar to airshell?

samuelh

Hello,

I love my AirShell (bright yellow BMW jacket, vented) but it is getting a little cold for it even with the liner in. Any owners of this jacket recommend a warm winter riding jacket? Looking for similar cut (I wear a 3X) and also high viz.

Thanks
SH

Hello,

I love my AirShell (bright yellow BMW jacket, vented) but it is getting a little cold for it even with the liner in. Any owners of this jacket recommend a warm winter riding jacket? Looking for similar cut (I wear a 3X) and also high viz.

Thanks
SH

IIRC the AirShell is based on the BMW Boulder jacket, but I don't think the Boulder comes in Hi-Viz.

Some other options might be to put a Hi-Viz rain jacket over over the top of the AirShell to block the wind and cold, or to use the Boulder jacket with something like an Icon Hi-Viz riding vest.

Winter Jacket

I have the Airshell for summer and I just purchased the Tourance 2 winter jacket. Although it is not Hi-Viz, it comes in Red or Blue, both colors that are highly visible. I have the Red jacket. My friends say they can see me very well when riding behind me.

I wore the Tourance 2 on a 800 mile ride through WV at the end of October. I encountered temperatures between 28 degrees and 70 degrees. It was very warm at the lower end of the temperature scale and blocked the wind effectively. I ride a R12900R, so I know about windchill when it gets cold.

At the 70 degree mark, I stripped down to a polypropylene t-shirt, as a base layer and didn't get too warm.

Hi-Viz 3 seaon riding jacket

I have been lusting for a Hi-Viz jacket for almost 3 years now. I just purchased a Tourmaster Epic jacket in the Hi-Viz yellow (2XL)at the International Motorcycle show in San Mateo CA. last weekend (11-20-10). I paid $196 for it out the door. The Epic actually comes in 3XL and 4XL.

This purchase replaces a Cortech Three Quarter jacket that is 4 years old. The Cortech has been a GREAT jacket, with fairly good venting and a nice quilted liner that kept me comfy during commute riding in high-30s temps.

The Epic is quite a step above the Three Quarter as far as the venting capacity is concerned. Significantly more vents which should provide comfort even in over-100 degree temps. I rode this afternoon (was able to "leak out" from work early) and spend about 90 minutes in the Santa Cruz mountains where the temps were in the low 40s. The new jacket (with liner installed) kept me comfy though my hands were chilled quickly (despite the grip heaters being on)

Check it out - I was actually going to buy the Olympia AST but the features of the Epic and the construction quality were equivalent with a price that (for me) was $100 less.

I have 2 jackets for cold weather. Both are high viz and have removable liners for rain and cold. The Tourmaster is a 3/4 jacket and the Olympia is shorter (standard length), both have armor in the elbows, shoulders, and back. They both work well in the damp/cool of N FL winters. My arthritic knees however are thanful for Gerbrings heated pants. I have used a rain jacket over a BMW venting machine jacket with warm/comfortable success on those days when it suddenly becomes too cool for riding with a mesh jacket. Ride Safe :usa :usa

Back