• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Name that Road

well, the ride was actually fairly easy. hint: new mexico. and if anyone reads my articles, this road was mentioned in "Shakedown, breakdown."

1094489951_N7rDz-XL.jpg

1094496468_qJbxL-XL.jpg

That's funny. I have a picture of my GS next to that sign posted just above my computer screen. Yours is kinda hard to read, but the yellow sign warns 'HIGH CLEARANCE VEHICLES ADVISED NO SERVICES NEXT 120 MILES' Nice. My kinda road.
That road heads north from NM35 between Gila NF and Mimbres. Spits you out near the VLA.

On the road to a National Monument

A really tight and twisty road w/no center line....

5596817056_f54d73ea4e_o.jpg

And more of the road...

5596817612_ba187a54e0_o.jpg

Visian -- Alpine Scenic Highway east of Salt Lake City?... or maybe US40?

Nope, neither, not even in the area of Northern Utah.

Hint, Natural lake and reservoir just west of this pass. Pass is about 9000' Another reservoir west at the road junction.

From main marina to junction, only about 15 miles of a fabulous mountain valley, lakes and pass riding, then coming down into a nice tight river canyon road for about 15 miles to the ending reservoir. Most PPL miss this short run hidden in Utah but go near it in their travels.

Last edited:
Ok, that spot is east of Johnson Valley Reservoir, north of Fish Lake, Utah. On Road Utah 25 also named Fremont River Road or FS 036 depending on what map you might be looking at.

Google or Mapquest these coordinates:
Position: N38 35.133 W111 36.668 or +38?? 35' 8.10", -111?? 36' 39.90"

One end is on Utah 24 (near Fish Lake) and the other end is on Utah 72, near Mill Meadow Reservoir.

Utah 72 is a great road to take also, almost never see traffic and is in great condition and begs for speed or mellow scenic cruising. Just watch out for Deer, Elk , cows or other wildlife on all of these roads in Utah.

butt... i was *sorta* close... same general area!

True, only about 160 driving miles apart

and

Lots of these very similar areas in Utah, an other neighboring states also.

Mainly I wanted to offer a nice run that some ppl coming through this area tend to bypass. It is well worth it to find this spot and the roads taken to get there.

History lesson. Old Spanish Trail. Just west of the area noted in the picture. There is a summer layover flat that ppl using the old Spanish trail tend to stay while letting the stock recover in the mid 1800's.

http://www.ecprogress.com/index.php?tier=1&article_id=10574 About the trail in this area.

http://www.oldspanishtrail.org/assets/PDFs/CedarCity.pdf Map for the Old Spanish Trail

JC Penney Mother Store

What town and state? The road then should be easy.

1139304678_JYcDs-L.jpg

Last edited:
Mainly I wanted to offer a nice run that some ppl coming through this area tend to bypass. It is well worth it to find this spot and the roads taken to get there.

most appreciated.

on my next trip to Utah, it will be the destination. i would like to stay near moab, probably in the canyonlands park, and spend some quality time.

great place for riding where you live. :nod

ian

Back