• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

F800ST Riding Position?

I suppose there are all kinds of tricks to making a bike more comfortable. I was fortunate enough to get an ST with 1cm bar risers. It's impressive how much that little change helps.

Andy

I took an F800ST for a test ride a couple weeks ago. It didn't take me long to find out that my wrists wouldn't take the leaned forward riding position. I can't imagine doing 4 0r 5 hundred miles in a day on that bike.

I also prefer a much larger fairing, although I know that the smaller fairing is supposed to allow the wind against the chest to support some of the weight on the arms.

I much prefer the upright seating and full coverage fairing on the RT. I think an F800RT would make a lot of sense.

I am 60 years old and 5'9" I have an 800S which has 91,000 miles on it and will probably trade it for a 800ST when, nothing happens, I turn 100,000 miles. I am just the opposite and concerned the 800ST may be too upright for me. I previously had a R1150R and a R1100RT and find the 800S more comfortable. I have a sensitive lower back and hip and the lower bars put less pressure on it. I have done a thousand mile day, 950, 870 and several days over 600 miles. I really love the 800 engine and the belt drive but also love the Boxer engine. We are all different and what works for one may not work for another.

I have mostly two problems on my 2011 F800St:
1. Short legs. Just got the low seat which I hope will give me better footing.
2. Pain and tingling on my hands from leaning on the bars so hard. I took Rox 2" risers and longer brake line to my local BMW dealer and the service manager said there was "no way" it could be installed on this bike. Have you all had this problem on a 2011 800ST? I suspect he just didn't want to do the job but he knows more than I do.

I have mostly two problems on my 2011 F800St:
1. Short legs. Just got the low seat which I hope will give me better footing.
2. Pain and tingling on my hands from leaning on the bars so hard. I took Rox 2" risers and longer brake line to my local BMW dealer and the service manager said there was "no way" it could be installed on this bike. Have you all had this problem on a 2011 800ST? I suspect he just didn't want to do the job but he knows more than I do.

Who's the dealer? Did the service guy say why it couldn't be done? Clutch cable? Throttle cables?

As for discomfort, what did you ride before, Pepe? My previous bike was a K75S. (Still riding it - smooootthhhhh). I'm 5'3" and 130 lbs on a good day and ride with the SW Motech risers installed by dealer (and clutch cable rerouted). Never had an issue with wrists, even on 500 mile days. Legs and lower back must do some work for this riding position.

Maybe the 650 GS would be a better option for you.

Thanks Dave. I had a Triumph Bonneville T100 before this one so that position was lovely for me.
I get the feeling I will be able to find a non-BMW mechanic to do the job for me, as it seems far from impossible.

Coming from a T100, I can see why a GS might not suit your taste. I hope you get the ST adapted to your satisfaction. It is a sport tourer, but you can see by this message board and others (eg, F800riders.org) that many folks have made it close to a more standard tourer from an ergonomics perspective. You might enjoy comparing the T100 to the ST at this site.... http://cycle-ergo.com/

Find the ST just right...

I'm 6' with a 32" inseam and I find the ST pretty much perfect. Just enough forward lean so that it's sporty and controlled, but not hunched over. The knees can get a tad uncomfortable if I wear thick jeans under my riding overpants, but that's more of the sharp angle causing the jeans to be way too tight through the knee area. Ride with thinner pants or just riding pants and I have no problem.

Madly modified F650GS

I've also considered changing bikes, but instead, I went nuts modifying my 2010 F650GS. I installed MV Motorrad Bar Risers (do a search on my username "moonseal" and you'll see what I ended up with), put pivot pegz on, foam grips (which I've since ripped off since I no longer lean on my handlebars since adding the bar risers), and an airhawk seat cushion for rides over 2 hours. NO PAIN. I used to have massive shoulder pain and low back pain. Now I ride about 7 hour trips with no pain. Admittedly, when I do a long trip, I pack up my Kriega backs to stuff into my lumbar so I can lean on something, but it works and the bike is well balanced and well packed. Write to me for details if you want them. I completely modified the bike to match my voracious desire to be on it constantly. It's a perfect compliment now.

Back