Thread: Back wheel locked up. 1988 K75C

Rally Rat

Back wheel locked up. 1988 K75C

Let's see if I can keep this short. Went riding last week. Rode a short 38 mile round trip outing. Got home with no evident issues. While on the bike, still the engine running, stopped the bike (still on the bike) opened my garage with the garage opener, placed the bike in 1st gear and proceeded to ride it into my garage. WRONG. Out of nowhere, the back wheel is locked up. As if somebody welded the back wheel. I see some metal shaving coming from the back right side of the drum area oposite to where wheel bolts come off. The wheel is stuck as if the brake was on. I tried to force the bike forward to no avail. Before I take a sledge hammer and try to remove the wheel, can anybody give me some possible issues that could go have gone wrong? Did the brake system disengaged, the splines failed and welded the wheel? A bearing broke? Could it be all of the above. I find it interesting the shavings on the side of the wheel base as if it's something rubbing and scratching or welding.
    It's a 1988 K75 that has been well kept. Wheel splines have been lubed within the last 5000 miles.
    Open for suggestions.

I'm not familiar with that particular bike, but I suggest opening the brake bleeder if you have one. You may have a clogged return port which causes pressure to be trapped in the system and will eventually lock up the wheel disc or drum.

Assuming we are talking about your K75C, and it's an '88 it should have disk brakes. Earlier models had a drum brake.

Open the brake bleed valve to ensure it isn't brakes with a hydraulic lock. If it has drum brakes then remove the wing nut from the brake rod.

See what you have.

Then wiggle the wheel (if you can) sideways to see if you have play in the wheel side to side wobble fashion.

Report back and we can go further.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

And as Paul indicated - some CLUE as to what year/model your bike is would help immensely. I'm adding it to your thread title since that may help attract some attention from someone who has BTDT. It also might be helpful in the future if someone experiences the same problem. PLEASE consider doing this yourself in the future when starting a thread.
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders
    '12 R1200R - I love this bike!

I thought those were still drum brakes. If so possibly something came loose in the drum (broken spring?) and wedged itself between the shoe and the drum.
    1987 K75S
    Original litter
    Original owner
    2012 Ural Gear Up

Quote Originally Posted by 35634 View Post
    I thought those were still drum brakes. If so possibly something came loose in the drum (broken spring?) and wedged itself between the shoe and the drum.
    I can't remember what brakes this bike has (if I ever new). If it is a drum brake then a broken spring is a very good prediction and strong possibility.

I would loosen the rod wing nut, then attempt to turn the wheel backwards. Failing that, I would loosen the bolts and attempt to wiggle/wobble the wheel off the shoes.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Rally Rat
    Thank you all for your advice and suggestions about my post. The bike is indeed an 88, K75C with drum brake. The metal shavings which appear to be filtering/sliding out between the drum and the mount seem to be some kind of slicing of metal. I don't want to even imagine what got shaved or deformed inside there. But, my bike ran too well and it's in too good of a shape to simply not repair. I remember trying to move the wheel in any direction and the darn thing might as well be in cement blocks instead of wheels. It is solidly stuck. I am sure when it's time to remove the wheel, I am in for a battle. I will attempt to try some of the advice here this week end and keep you all posted.
    If anybody has any other ideas on how to tackle this issue, I am certainly open to any suggestions.
    Kind regards,

Gil

If it is a drum brake, then it may be possible that the shoe has worn completely and left you with a metal-on-metal situation, which could explain the lockup and shavings.

A brake failure seems like a good thing compared to some of the alternatives...
    '92 K75S, all black...
    '08 K1200GT, silver...
    '06 R1200GS, silver...
    '63 R50/2, black...

The K75T and C models were both rear drum brakes.

Back the wing nut all the way out. Wheel bolts out. See if you can move the brake arm with your hand.

Bike in neutral, see if the wheel turns. If yes, the splines are still working. If no, either a spring has let go and the brake shoes may be frozen into the drum.

You didn't say how many miles on the bike or if you used the rear brake as your primary method of stopping. In this case, the drum may be worn past the circumference limits and the brake shoes rode over the brake cam...and again the shoe is locked into the drum.

Or something else let go inside and a piece of metal got between the drum and shoe..and welded itself between the two.

Don't be afraid to get out the BFH to get the wheel off..metal filings back there aren't a good sign and the wheel is probably toast. Drum rear drives and wheels come up on eBay all the time.

If/when you finally get the wheel off, post a picture so we can see what happened.
    Greg Hutchinson
    R80G/S (4) 633CSi with 450K mile
    '68 R60/2 '88 K100RS Special Edition
    http://gregsgssite.shutterfly.com/

Still plays with trains. tinytrains's Avatar
    Did the brake pedal come all the way back up?

Does the brake arm on the rear wheel move when you push on the pedal?

If arm is stuck all the way back, the brake cam inside the drum may have high centered (reached top-dead-center) when you applied the brakes to stop and stuck there. This could happen if the shoes are really worn out.

If that is the case, there should be much play in the brake linkage. Force the brake arm back rearward to release the brakes.

Let's hope that is all it is.
    Scott
    2009 R1200R Roadster

So what did you find out? Fixed yet?
    Greg Hutchinson
    R80G/S (4) 633CSi with 450K mile
    '68 R60/2 '88 K100RS Special Edition
    http://gregsgssite.shutterfly.com/

BTDT:

http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?t=47427

Will the bike roll with the clutch disengaged ?
    '89 K75S Original Owner
    '94 (Beta) R11RS, ( RIP 12-5-2010 courtesy of blind left turning cage driver ) ....