• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Scammers using the BMW MOA Flea Market

Thanks Matt, great example of how this plays out.

As of today, new name and phone number:

I am Evan Watson from Liverpool,United Kingdom.I am E-mailing in
respect to your wanted Ad placed over the internet.I still have for
sale in perfect condition.My Mobile numbers are +447024097543 or
+447024099518. Please you can ring me between the hours of 8am to 10pm
London Time.

Cheers!!!!
Evan Watson
11, Scott Avenue, Liverpool, Merseyside, L36 0TS

Notice the old "44 70xxxxxxx" dead giveaway of a UK number auto-forwarded overseas.

Just use PayPal.
Sure there are some fees.
I see it as cheap insurance and/or the cost of doing business.
If you can't protect yourself while doing business online perhaps you shouldn't be doing business online. :banghead

...And there are some work arounds for those 'fees'...

Just use PayPal.
Sure there are some fees.
I see it as cheap insurance and/or the cost of doing business.
If you can't protect yourself while doing business online perhaps you shouldn't be doing business online. :banghead

...And there are some work arounds for those 'fees'...

Yes !
The only thing I use for web puchases is PayPal or VISA. That string was copied and pasted from my E-mail. I really thought I was gonna get "lucky" and find a good used unit!

I would have been "lucky", just in a different way!:uhoh

The latest scam attempt

Still trying to scam

Hello,

This is Michael Gillard from the United Kingdom.I am E-mailing in
respect to your Wanted Ad placed over the Internet.I have for sale in
good and excellent condition.Please reach me on +44702 404 6624.

Cheers
Michael Douglas Gillard
10, Butterfield Street, Liverpool, Merseyside, L4 4HT.

I feel confused when I read about scammers on the club flea market.

I lurked about on this forum for about three months before I bought my BMW, and then for about 3 more months before I finally joined the club. Although I was registered, until I paid my dues I could not post or reply to messages, could not see most pictures, and could not see flea market items.

So am I to assume these scammers are dues paying members? And that the club has no way to prohibit them from using the flea market?

Larry

For Sale

I listed a car for sale on Cars.Com. I got a response from a guy was supposedly on an oil rig in the gulf and was going to send his agent to pick up the car.

My response: Have your agent bring cash in US bills to a public parking lot (gave address) bills will be checked for being real or counterfeit. At which time title will be signed and passed on to agent.

Guess what, no one showed

Michael Gillard is alive and Well!

Posted a " things wanted " add for a tank bag about a week ago.

Got this a day later.

Hello,

Cheers
Michael Douglas Gillard

So, Michael I am glad you are still with us.

Posted a " things wanted " add for a tank bag about a week ago.

Got this a day later.

Hello,

Cheers
Michael Douglas Gillard

So, Michael I am glad you are still with us.

How dense can these scammers (and some "scammees" be?) Isn't it possible that a person posted several ads; wanted several different things? Wouldn't the lack of description of what the seller was willing to sell raise a huge red flag?

I also love "good and excellent condition." It can't be both. Either term would be OK if followed by a description of any flaws - and preferably photos that showed the article with close photos of the flaws. Then you have some chance that you are buying a real article that will meet your needs.

I once sold a 1950 professional saxophone on the net for $4000. The buyer asked endless questions and asked for MANY photos. I complied with all his requests. The deal eventually went thru (yes, used PayPal.) He was happy - "how could you part with this horn?" and I was happy. That's how it should happen.

How dense can these scammers (and some "scammees" be?) Isn't it possible that a person posted several ads; wanted several different things? Wouldn't the lack of description of what the seller was willing to sell raise a huge red flag?

Most of these are bots - auto trolling ads and responding without any actual thought. Unfortunately, there are LOTS of silly people out there who don't get it (read the texting threads...) and see $$ instead of reality. I haven't been bitten yet, but have been approached a couple of times and both times the stink of scam comes out pretty quickly. Of course, it doesn't hurt to have a world-class $.39 BS detector built in...:bluduh

And then?

Most of these are bots - auto trolling ads and responding without any actual thought. Unfortunately, there are LOTS of silly people out there who don't get it (read the texting threads...) and see $$ instead of reality. I haven't been bitten yet, but have been approached a couple of times and both times the stink of scam comes out pretty quickly. Of course, it doesn't hurt to have a world-class $.39 BS detector built in...:bluduh

Correct. And then? they go on an internet forum to complain about how poor them got "taken". Hey Rube, I have a deal for you.

Scammer

:usa Same guy wanted to sell me a Day-Long Saddle, From the UK??? Sounded fishy to me so I just told him I found what I was looking for!:dance

I posted a wanted to buy ad last month and also got an email.
When I started reading this thread I thought it was a dead thread, boy was I wrong.

:hungover

Got this from a "military guy"

Hello Jerry Dockery,

I am Capt.Raymond Bone, an officer of the US Army. I am on the move to Afghanistan from Iraq as the last batch just left and have some items I will need to ship to you.Can you be trusted? Please view this link:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/7444083.stm

I will explain further when I get your response.

Thanks.

Raymond Bone.

The link is safe. It is the BBC, an article about the BBC uncovering lost money, "Millions!". I think the scam is convincing you that the "soldier" will have you hold some lost money for a cut.

I listed a car for sale on Cars.Com. I got a response from a guy was supposedly on an oil rig in the gulf and was going to send his agent to pick up the car.

My response: Have your agent bring cash in US bills to a public parking lot (gave address) bills will be checked for being real or counterfeit. At which time title will be signed and passed on to agent.

Guess what, no one showed

I got the guy who was working on a cruise ship but would like me to ship it to someone in the next state. I responded with- "What a coincidence! My brother-in-law lives in that same city. He can meet your agent and personally deliver the bike and your agent can hand him cash."

I never heard back either.

Nigerian Scams

My step-father has been sending money to Nigeria for probably ten years in the hopes that he will receive the promised $millions that are to be his if he keeps jumping through the hoops to get it. He has been told that it's a scam. He has received several phony checks, which he has tried to cash at several banks, only to be told that they are no good. He has been kicked out of a few banks for this. What was it that Ron White said? You can't fix stupid. I estimate that he has squandered possibly over a quarter million on this 'fools errand'. This is a college educated man with a degree in accounting... Go figure. These scammers love a greedy person. The lust for money is blinding!
fireguy

FWIW, I have had a an influx of Nigerian scams ever since the date of the MOA web leakage. Maybe a coincidence but had none since last time I advertised on IBMWR website-which now has better safeguards BTW.

FWIW, I have had a an influx of Nigerian scams ever since the date of the MOA web leakage.
Maybe a coincidence but had none since last time I advertised on IBMWR website-which now has better safeguards BTW.

Since going to gMail I get none of that.
They walk the walk when it comes to this tripe. Unlike Yahoo which in my opinion encourages it.
I've personally blocked any hotmail/AOL accounts. They're just plain junk.

Back