• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Oil on my shoe

itchy

Late in the riding season (yes I'm one of those weenies who puts his bike away for the winter) I developed an oil leak. 93R100RT, 57K+/-miles.
My left boot would wind up covered with oil. Not alot but enough of a film to be concerned as this is a new development in an otherwise oil drip free bike. Bottom of the carburetor bowl is oily. Not sure if oil is leaking out of small vacuum(?) hose on bottom or elsewhere.
I'm planning my winter projects and this will be one. I can turn a wrench but I'm no mechanic and diagnostics is not mt strong suit.
Helpful suggestions welcomed.
Thanks
Paul:scratch

Inspect.

I would suggest you lay on the shop floor an peer upward to see if you can trace the source of the leak.. It will most likely be self evident.
bottom of the valve covers, or push rod tubes, etc.

This simple observation will give you are start in the right direction.

Jim Dahl, Ketchikan, AK

It could well be that the oil pressure sensor is cracked and leaking oil as you ride - the airflow will blow the oil back along the lower frame tube and your left boot , usually. But, check carefully because it might be a leak form elsewhere.

It is definitely oil and not gas. Have felt and smelled it
There is only minor weapage from the pushrods, nothing that even drips, just enough to attract grime.
I have laid on the floor under it and it appears to be emanating from the hose that attaches to the bottom of the carb, but that seems odd. Is that hose part of the blow by for pollution or connected to that somehow?

iirc, the pollution control system connects between the cylinder exhaust port and the air intake box. carb does not have a source of oil associated with it (unless you are blowing massive amounts of oil back into the carb thru the air filter, but that would be really weird/unusual).

I have laid on the floor under it and it appears to be emanating from the hose that attaches to the bottom of the carb, but that seems odd. Is that hose part of the blow by for pollution or connected to that somehow?
The crankcase breather dumps oil fumes into the left and right carb intake tubes at the airbox. If the amount of oil fume flow is high, the oil can condense along the bottom of the tube/carb floor and weep out, usually at the tube/carb body joint -- often observed dripping from the hose clamp right over your boot toe.

It could well be that the oil pressure sensor is cracked and leaking oil as you ride - the airflow will blow the oil back along the lower frame tube and your left boot , usually.

..and this is what it looks like.

20080327181.jpg

..but it never makes it to the bottom of the carb.

Looking at the picture I have had the following items seep oil, timing chain cover, cylinder base gaskets, pushrod seals, and oil pressure switch. Oil pressure switch needs to be check with engine running. My guess is the pressure switch.

Looking at the picture I have had the following items seep oil, timing chain cover, cylinder base gaskets, pushrod seals, and oil pressure switch. Oil pressure switch needs to be check with engine running. My guess is the pressure switch.

in the case of the picture, yeah, i'd go with the pressure switch as the worst culprit, but he probably has accomplices.
however- that pic is NOT of the bike in question. any pics of the OP's machine are yet to be posted.

Thanks everybody for all your input.
I will get back on the floor under the bike and take a look past the obvious.
I'm willing to bet one of things mentioned here is probably gonna be it.
Have the bike in a home far from where I am currently residing and will be a couple weeks before I get to it but thank you all for the advice.
Paul

"Covered in oil"? (versus a few spots) sounds like more than an oil pressure sensor, or the crankcase vent weeping a few drops. Base gasket? Push rod tube seals?

Regardless, I'd suggest a shot of engine de-greaser, and a quick pressure wash at the local car wash. It's usually easier to spot where something is coming from when you don't have to see through what's already there.

Back