• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

New Old Flying Brick -- '85 K100RT

mneblett

Having sold my '09 R12RT in anticipation of the K16GTL arriving next April/May, I just picked up a high-miles, but well maintained, FY K100RT to be my over-the winter/don't mind if it gets a little dirty ride.

While I've had several K12LTs, this is my first classic K, so I have some learning to do -- things to watch out for, things to check, how-to articles. Recommendations, pls.? (besides this place, of course :) )

Thanks!

FY = first year? An '85?

Splines..both front and rear. Rear brake fluid container needs the upgrade if the original is still mounted down by the right foot rest. Add a front fork brace. Depending on age,,,the starter could probably use a cleaning...the bike grounds through the starter..if it's dirty, you may lose lights and no start condition.

These bricks either run 30K miles and use no oil..or just the opposite. A lot depends on how the engine was broken in...they love 7K rpm and higher.

Have a stock rear shock or a Nivomat? Stock is usually gone by 20K miles.

Thanks, Greg!

FY = first year? An '85?
Finest Year :D

My understanding from others that the early '85 bikes are referred to by their owners this way, given their slightly greater power from the cams and some other bits.

Splines..both front and rear. Rear brake fluid container needs the upgrade if the original is still mounted down by the right foot rest. Add a front fork brace. Depending on age,,,the starter could probably use a cleaning...the bike grounds through the starter..if it's dirty, you may lose lights and no start condition.

These bricks either run 30K miles and use no oil..or just the opposite. A lot depends on how the engine was broken in...they love 7K rpm and higher.

Have a stock rear shock or a Nivomat? Stock is usually gone by 20K miles.
Splines and starter previously done, I'll check the shock. What was the change with the rear reservoir? I'll have to look again, but I recall the reservoir sitting pretty low, down near the foot peg plate.

. What was the change with the rear reservoir? I'll have to look again, but I recall the reservoir sitting pretty low, down near the foot peg plate.[/QUOTE]

The change is that on the later bikes, the reservoir is higher. This protects it from the sun's rays. Others have gotton a replacement from a Japanese bike and adapted it.

I looks like you're just riding it until spring until you can get a new bike. If it runs good, just change the oil and ride. My 85 K100RT was very dependable with little fiddling needed.

+1 for Ron,

If your rear brake reservoir is milky white and has some glazing/cracking, the thing could instantly collapse..touch it and it falls apart. Not good for braking.

Update is a round version with a circular holder that bolts onto the plastic electronics holder above the battery - out of the sun.

Thanks, Greg!

Finest Year :D

My understanding from others that the early '85 bikes are referred to by their owners this way, given their slightly greater power from the cams and some other bits.
I think I've told it before - the "FY" aka "Finest Year" designation came about at a tech seminar I was giving (with Brian Curry and probably Paul Glaves) at I believe the Greenfield MA RA rally..

During the tech session the '85 K was being beaten on fairly often by owners of later model K's - for things like being buzzy, hot, - true things, but as an '85 owner at the time, a bit annoying when they kept coming up.

Someone finally asked me a rather odd question - pretty much worded to make the '85 K bike sound awful, and my reply started with "You mean the FINEST YEAR K?".. which got a big laugh, people seemed to enjoy the irony. What's ironic now is it has become the term for the '85 K bikes.. NTTAWWT - but it wasn't the original intention of the phrase.
Splines and starter previously done, I'll check the shock. What was the change with the rear reservoir? I'll have to look again, but I recall the reservoir sitting pretty low, down near the foot peg plate.
The reservoirs were moved up under the side cover. The one down by the foot-peg is attacked by UV, and tends to slowly oxidize, then start to crumble. The later models used a round reservoir that clipped into a bracket that was pop-riveted to the side of the E-box under the right sidecover. Since it was out of direct sunlight, it didn't turn to dust in front of your eyes. Some people have kept the original reservoir and just put a sock over them to keep UV off them. That also seems to work.

The reservoirs were moved up under the side cover. The one down by the foot-peg is attacked by UV, and tends to slowly oxidize, then start to crumble. The later models used a round reservoir that clipped into a bracket that was pop-riveted to the side of the E-box under the right sidecover. Since it was out of direct sunlight, it didn't turn to dust in front of your eyes. Some people have kept the original reservoir and just put a sock over them to keep UV off them. That also seems to work.
Thanks, Don -- I'll look at it this evening.

Cool history lesson, too :thumb

New old style ones are still available:

34311451863 FLUID RESERVOIR, SQUARE CORNERS (to 09/87) $20.45

When ordering this part, DO NOT order the 870 cover or 603 diaphram. The 863 comes with them also.

:dance:dance:dance

Back