• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

tire life '93 K75s

motomatt90s
Use my '93 K75s to tow Bunkhouse camper ,therefore mainly straight road and slab riding.Have several BMWs so curvy riding is rare.I've stayed with bias tires for mileage. I'm curious to learn what mileage difference riders who've used both radial and bias have seen?

A better question might be - are there any radials that will fit on your rims correctly? People have shoed radials on K75's (I had them on THE K75S - but it had special rims)...

With Metzler Z6's on my old K75S (on K100-4Valve rims, only made one year).. I used to average 6k miles from a set of tires. Not great, not awful. I'm not a super agressive rider (understatement for sure..)

BTW - I added the year/model of your bike to the thread title. Please consider doing that yourself since it tends to attract people who might have something helpful to say to your posting. And in the future - it might help someone else find the thread if they have the same question.

I run standard Metzlers on my 75 and 12-15K miles out of them.
Don't know anything about radials.

Scott

It's recommended that if your bike is designed to use bias tires, don't use radials. Tire life is a problem. There are so many variables. One around here is road surface. Oiled roads with gravel that's packed down by traffic tend to have a rougher surface and the stones are sharp, so they cause more tire wear. You could try some of the dual compound tires with harder rubber in the center of the tire and see if that gives you better wear.

mini-hijack.

actually, from everything i have gleaned on the 'net about them, the newer dual compund tires appear to have the same standard compound in the center, and a softer/stickier compound along the sides. (they re-engineered the sides for greater grip, rather than re-engineering the center for greater tread life).

carry on.

I like the Bridgestone BT45, I get 6k on the rear and 12k on the front.

Folks use to rave about the Dunlop radial (including Greg Feeler, I think) that fit the K75, but they went out of production.

Bridgestone is making a nice-looking radial sport-tourer, BT023, but it doesn't come in a rear for the K75. Interesting choice for a new K bike, though.

http://www.motorcycle-karttires.com/Battlax_BT-023.pdf

The only Bridgestone rear 130/80-17 or 140/80-17 is the BT45.

Back