• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

<!> '07 rt

glurkus

Had this come up <!> while on a ride on my'07 RT. I pulled over and got out the owners manual. The manual said it means coupled with the oil light, that the bike is low on oil. However, there was no oil light, just <!> I did check the oil level and it was a little less than halfway up the sight glass. I restarted the bike and <!> was off and never came back on for the rest of the ride. Anyone know what else this symbol might mean?

Had this come up <!> while on a ride on my'07 RT. I pulled over and got out the owners manual. The manual said it means coupled with the oil light, that the bike is low on oil. However, there was no oil light, just <!> I did check the oil level and it was a little less than halfway up the sight glass. I restarted the bike and <!> was off and never came back on for the rest of the ride. Anyone know what else this symbol might mean?

Symbol is an 'alert' that your oil is lower than optimum, which would be 80% of the sight glass filled with oil when properly checked.

Properly checked?: It means the oil is warm (10-20 minute ride) and you've side-standed the bike for 5 minutes (helps drain oil from the oil cooler) and then center-standed for another 5 minutes, all on level ground.

Then check sight window - 80% filled will chase that annoying exclamation mark away and keep it away. Anything less can get it to "flash on your dash."

It's a sensitive system (what on a BMW isn't?!), so when I recommend 80%, I don't mean 60% or even 75% - I mean 80%.

Good Luck! :thumb

Last edited:
glurkus..

/moderator nag..

PLEASE put the year/model of your bike in the thread title (I've added it for you.) It not only helps attract people to your thread who might have something useful to say - it helps other users in the future to spot a thread that may be of use to them.

Thanks for your cooperation!

/moderator nag off..

Greeting
I to have the have had the <!>. I now add 6 oz oil first chance I get. I have to buy a quart just for 6 oz, I leave the rest on the gas pump hoping some one will use it. I usually need to add about 2000 miles depend driving and weather. I hope i am doing the right thing. Would 6 oz every 2000 miles be considered to much consumtion? Greenwald instruction on properly checked are something that I need pay better attention to, but it is still far easier than that my 650cs.
Thanks

I was wondering what that nagging symbol meant... I'd check the sight glass & it was at 50%, looks good to me... I'll make sure to get it to 80%+...:banghead

Symbol is an 'alert' that your oil is lower than optimum, which would be 80% of the sight glass filled with oil when properly checked.

Is this described in the Owner's Manual, because I couldn't find it? I only found what the OP described, that the <!> symbol is coupled with the word Oil in the display.

Is this described in the Owner's Manual, because I couldn't find it? I only found what the OP described, that the <!> symbol is coupled with the word Oil in the display.

I'd have to dig thru my storage bins for the '05 manual, since all is tucked away now for a long winter's nap up here in WI, but I seem to recall some intel gleaned from that.

But talking with my BMW Master Tech and much trial and error has taught me to respect the 80% goal everytime I change oil or am treated to the dreaded exclamation mark. :thumb

And all this time when that "!" appears I thought it was in response to my spirited riding that preceded its appearance. Like an "attaboy":bolt

Motocamper,
Surely you can find a suitable container for the oil that you would otherwise leave to an unknown fate (poured down the storm drain?). I'm just sayin'... Or maybe you don't have on bike storage. If so consider (sp) a backpack.
Rubber down,
Rich

Thanks for the responses. It is the first time in 24000 and three years that I owned the bike that I noticed the <!>. It does seem strange that the <!> comes on, and after I shut the bike off, check the oil and re-start it, the oil OK (check mark) light comes on.
I only had to add about 4oz's to bring the oil level about 3/4on the site glass from just below half.

Back