• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Pretty flippin' slow here, eh?

johns3

2-up and havin' fun
OK, maybe everybody is off and riding.

But this is a SLOW sub-forum.

Know I'm a wedge newby.....just looking for input......

John

Beautiful Weather here...

So have been riding. Supposed to rain tomorrow and Tuesday, so who knows. But my 08 K12S has ~30k miles on it and is running very well.

Slow forum

This is no doubt a very slow forum, I don't really understand why that is but it would be nice if more folks posted once in a while.

Having come from a Concours to a GT, I was used to all the daily traffic on the Concours forum. Coming here is definitely a snooze fest. So I still hang out on the Concours site for my daily dose of bike talk and only check in here a couple times a week since very little changes.

Been riding...
But there's news! I got a shipping notification for the Sargent seats I ordered.
As soon as I've sat on them and ridden, I'll pop in here and let you know what I think.

Ran into some older (guessing 55-60 range) gentlemen while out riding Sunday. One on a Triumph Trophy 900, one on a Honda VFR, one on a Ducati Hypermotard 1100 and the oldest (looking) guy on a S1000RR. We had a nice conversation about the road we were riding and the bikes represented in the gas station parking lot. The VFR rider asked how I liked my "S", and whether it cornered well, then before I could answer looked at my back tire and said "seems like it must do ok, your using the whole tire". It came around to the new GT and whether the 1300 will be dropped, also the role of the S1000RR. Most agreed that the S1000 would not do what the K1300S can do, and wondered whether the 1600 platform would be too heavy for the current K1300S riders. Certainly none of us have an inside track to the workings of the minds at BMW but it made for some interesting conversation. My friend (on his GS Adv.) and I left ahead of the other group, but they were helmets on ready to go. I kept thinking they would blow past us any minute as they were taking the same return route but I never saw them in my mirror. My buddy's GS must be faster than it looks..............

It's all the folks trying to get the last rides in before the big winter bike sleep. Just wait another month or so... this place will be really buzzing like it usually does during the colder months.

My Sargent seat set came this morning, and I rode to work today on it.
I like it A LOT better than the stock seat. It seemed stiff at first, but seemed to soften up after a few minutes.
It doesn't slope forward like the stocker, so I no longer feel as if I'm sliding forward into the tank (ow).
It looks great, and it also looks like the biggest improvement is the passenger seat. It also does not slope, and looks like it has quite a bit more padding than the stock seat. My wife should love it, as the only ride she's been on she complained constantly about the seat. I shouldn't criticize her, I've been constantly complaining about the rider's seat too.

I think my troubles are over... :clap

Get an oilhead or a brick; then you'll have someone to talk to.

Been there- my current Connie replaced a '93 K1100RS. That was like being at the opposite side of the story- had to be on forums too much for repair info.

I wanted a bike that I did NOT have to be wrenching on. Went to the Concours since a UJM is just gas and go. period. and the dealer is 15 minutes away.
But after one season, the ergos are too upright for me.

Nearest BMW dealer is 2+ hours away (Max- N.H.) but the K1300S seems to be what I should have bought instead of the Kaw. We'll see....

Should I buy a wedge?

OK I will jump in just to liven this up... I've been riding an R1150GS (02) for a while, love the bike from most angles but wonder about the advantages of a K1200GT that is for sale (2007). The GT has lots of bells and whistles and I'd like a more comfortable ride for long distance touring on 2 lane roads, to rallies, to see the country, ride, ride, ride. Not IB style but all that power could really getcha somewhere. I can do that, of course on my GS, a bike that I just love. I know, I know, why do people ask such ridiculous questions. Just looking for the likes of those that ride a K1200GT.

Fire away. :bolt

Should I Buy A Wedge?

I'll jump in on that one. I lusted/longed for the 1200GT wedge. I had my 85K100RT for 20 years at that point and loved it.
Once I tried an 07 GT my mind was made up. Just like it was made up when I tried the K100RT back in 85.
I kept both bikes, but the 85 was being ignored so I sold it.
I just love the GT even though I've had those clutch teething problems.
It fits me (I'm 6'1" & 180 lbs) and is comfortable and has all options save traction control.
I still take it to the track, work, store and tour and it does it all well.
If the bike fits you and your bank account ... go for it because nothing corrupts like power and it has plenty of that!

UH, never mind........

I, um, er..... bought another brick.

My very understanding wife is holding off having me committed but she still reserves the right to have me locked away.

You can read the grizzly details in my other post here on the wedge forum.:brow

John

An Explanation??

Possible explanations
1) Owners of newer K bikes only ride in the summer. I'm going to refrain from speculating why. :whistle
2) Newer K bike owners all live where there's snow and ice and only shop for parts or work on bikes in the summer.
3) Other ????

I ride an RT- the real year round BMW with the possible exception of the GS..:wow

:hide

"Fishin' when not riding"

Back