• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

GSA / 09 won't start after deep mud bath

ronccr

GSA will not start advice is needed

This is odd so I will describe the circumstances and actions taken and hopefully I might obtain a clue on how to start it.

I got stuck in 2ft plus mud, I had to place bike on left side for maybe 5 min and drag out a bit, then right side for solid half hour and dragged a bit. I finally up righted out of the "quick mud".

Bike started quickly and ran for 20 seconds and has not started since. I cleaned what mud I could in trails, verified what I could on all wires were in tact, confirmed approximately 2 gallons of gas. No mud was in exhaust when I set down and I have great compression.

I will power wash bike this morning and exam all wires / inspect more closely.

Can anyone offer advice?

Thanks

Ron

GSA will not start advice is needed

This is odd so I will describe the circumstances and actions taken and hopefully I might obtain a clue on how to start it.

I got stuck in 2ft plus mud, I had to place bike on left side for maybe 5 min and drag out a bit, then right side for solid half hour and dragged a bit. I finally up righted out of the "quick mud".

Bike started quickly and ran for 20 seconds and has not started since. I cleaned what mud I could in trails, verified what I could on all wires were in tact, confirmed approximately 2 gallons of gas. No mud was in exhaust when I set down and I have great compression.

I will power wash bike this morning and exam all wires / inspect more closely.

Can anyone offer advice?

Thanks

Ron

Hi Ron, Be careful on a hard pressure wash as it can inject water into bad places. On the no start, of course I'm not there, but have seen this set up-stuck in the mud.......and erratic start run. The time I saw a similar situation the problem was mud jammed up in the handle bar kill switch. I'm also going to move this to Hex/Cam as yours is an '09. You will have better exposure there. Good luck, Gary

Use a soft power wash, kill sswitch is operational - turns over in on posistion and kills in off posistion.

deep mud was not reall planned, it just kind of got in the way of travel...

Check you air intake make sure it is not plugged or into the air box especially if you were dragging the bike out

Check your connectors to the throttle bodies ensure they are on, no damage etc.

Good point on the kill swtich - you may also want to check the kick stand cut off switch, again due to dragging out requirments

And as stated before be very easy with the pressure washer - if i were you i would just use a hose

Keep us posted

I'll check all points below and use hose. Bike does turn over with no issue so I thought this elimated kill and kickstand switch?

I will remove air filter and inspect very close.

thanks

I'll check all points below and use hose. Bike does turn over with no issue so I thought this elimated kill and kickstand switch?

I will remove air filter and inspect very close.

thanks

IGNITION, COMPRESSION, FUEL, AIR

Start by determining if you have spark. If not then switches and wiring are suspect.

If so, then fuel and/or air are suspect. If you have spark then check the air filter air box for mud ingestion and go from there.

Check pulleys to verify that one throttle body isn't jammed open. That could kill the balance enough it won't start.

Thanks ALL - problem solved.

It appears I had a vacuum issue with fuel.

I laid bike over of left side, made sure gas stickled over and attempted to start - failed... open then close gas cap and it restarted quickly. It had since started over a dozen times testing it. I did hear a slight gulp of air when I opened gas cap.

Is it possible I isolated issue correctly or could there be an underlying issue?

Thanks again.
Ron

That's Great, as I mentioned before it's hard to guess from afar. From your latest info it could be that in the upset there was a drain back of gas OR water intrusion that soaked the carbon canister/vapor recovery system.. it may take a while to air out but sounds like you got it. :thumb Gary

thanks again, the info keep my head on straight in thinking it through..

I am very comfortable I had a vapor lock now as I run tanke low when off road.

enjoy the day and safe riding

Ron

Back