• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

The *new* new G650GS

We should assume the cast wheels are an easy retrofit, I'm guessing?

From the new G650 to the old G650 - maybe.

Not from the new F650itsan800GS to the F800GS. Possible yes - anything is possible including a Hyabusa front end on an Airhead.

Gas Tank Capacity

Don't think gallons, think range. The range is about 220 miles, assuming an average of 3.9 l/100km or about 60 MPG. The printed specs say about 73 MPG at 56 MPH and 55 MPG at 75 MPH.

I understand that range is what we are really after, however I do not take a lot of stock in gas mileage claims. A lot of the time I am not riding at optimal fuel efficiency RPM.

If I was a bike designer, I would be looking for every nook and cranny to get more fuel capacity. I guarantee I can find space under and around that Tupperware for another 0.5 to 1 gallon. :idea

The other day I spoke to a dealership about the G650 GS bike and was told they didn't have any in stock and this wasn't the first dealer that didn't have a G650 GS in stock. This one particular dealer when I asked when they might have one in stock I was informed that they didn't know because the G650 GS had engine problems...

I talked to another dealer and asked the question if indeed the G650 GS had engine problems because no one seemed to have any G650 GS in stock and that person said that they have not heard about it and if that was true he would have heard/read about it...

My question is.... is this new G650 GS that is coming out because the old G650 GS did indeed have engine problems????

BMW doesn't want to admit and one can't prove me wrong but water pumps are a big problem... and dealerships do not even want to admit as all you hear is oh we never have a problem with water pumps... like nytrashman said... they better get rid of the water pump problems... because of the water pump the the design... I would have a hard time purchasing the bike as I have a bitter taste towards the water pump issues right now.... on top of that... I am not too much impressed with dealerships either at this moment of time too...

I do like the style of the bike though as well as the rims.

I rode a 650 for the first time.....

as a demo when the dealer was servicing my R1100S..

I was favorable impressed, good handling, good braking, easy to ride...
this offering should be the right thing for the right person.

I personally don't think much of the over all beeky look. I'm with you all on fenders.

I do like cast wheels.

I think this is aiming at beginners or folks that don't want to toss around on a "big" 800 or 1200 but want to ride like they do. Im cool with that.

I'm in favor of getting people out to ride.. and in favor of building a retro "70's bike.

The 650 felt really naked and small to me.. was glad to get back on my S.

I'm really glad BMW still builds bikes.. the last chain drive I rode and drove prior to this was a 74 CB550 and was glad to trade it for a R90S.

jim dahl, ketchikan, alaska

Given Mr. Glaves comments on tube tires, does this mean that the F650s with wire wheels don't have the tubeless spoked rims like R1200 Adventure has?

BTW I agree about tube tires. Since nearly all tires are designed to be run tubeless, and have those nifty stiff carcasses, having to wrestle a tubeless tire carcass off a rim to replace a tube seems way too painful.

Given Mr. Glaves comments on tube tires, does this mean that the F650s with wire wheels don't have the tubeless spoked rims like R1200 Adventure has?

BTW I agree about tube tires. Since nearly all tires are designed to be run tubeless, and have those nifty stiff carcasses, having to wrestle a tubeless tire carcass off a rim to replace a tube seems way too painful.

Yes - the F bikes (single cylinder) that have spoked wheels - do NOT use tubeless tires. They use tubes.

That applies to the F650 Funduro, the F650GS and Dakar bikes. I think the CS had cast wheels and tubeless tires. It also applies to the G650 bikes up to the "new" G650 with cast wheels which is the subject of this thread.

As for the F twins - the F800S, F800ST, and the F650GSbut its reallyan800 have cast wheels and tubeless tires; the F800GS has spokes and tubes.

When BMW came out with the F800GS twin and F650GSreallyan800butwecallit650 twin I was almost ready checkbook in hand to buy an F800GS but didn't because of those silly spoked wheels and tube-type tires. On that issue alone if I do decide to buy one of these it will be the one called the 650 due to alloy wheels and tubeless tires.

I would have really liked to have seen the same type of spoked wheels that the GSA has wioth the tubless tires, but it was not a deal breaker for me. The F800GS is too good of a bike to let that one issue stop me from owning and enjoying it.

I would really like to be able to upgrade the wheels, but that seems to be outside the realm of possibility at this time. It's too bad BMW didn't at least offer it as an upgrade option for those who felt it was worth the cost, thus keeping the base price down for those who want a lower purchase price.

It would appear that the new updated G650GS is aimed at a more entry level rider, and Its doubtful that such a person would need or benefit from spoked wheels. Very few would end up thrashing it out on a rough trail where they might suffer damage to the cast rims. Those who would can probably swap the wheels out with the older F/G650GSs. I'm betting there will be a few owners of the previous versions who would jump at a chance to trade wheels.

I would have really liked to have seen the same type of spoked wheels that the GSA has wioth the tubless tires, but it was not a deal breaker for me. The F800GS is too good of a bike to let that one issue stop me from owning and enjoying it.

It was for me. There are just too many good bikes available that use tubeless tires for me to want to spend a lot of money and then get to go back to hauling tire irons, patch kits and spare tubes - especially when we "live on" the bikes all over North America all summer.

Last edited:
There were just too many good features of the F800GS that far out wieghed the downside of the tubes. The other bike options were not as appealing enough for me for various reasons for me to choose them based merely upon them having tubeless tires.

It seems we all make decisions of compromise to get the best fit for us as individuals. Thus, there is a good market niche for each of the GSs including this new updated G650GS. :thumb

Back