• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Ear Buds/Hearing Protection durability

I also have Arizona Al's earplugs now for about 5 years. They are fantastic. What's different with Al's is the special tube from the speakers to the custom molded ear plugs. And if you're real careful and it gets plugged you can pull it out and snip off the plugged area and reinsert it. I think the price is approx. $200. Best money I've ever spent. Gotten me across Nebraska in the middle of summer without going mad.

Side note: Rad - is that an ipod remote and who makes it?[/QUOTE
Looks to me like it is similiar to my Ijet remote,but it looks to have the Monster Cable logo on it.
As for my Ijet,it plugs into the bottom of my nano.It comes with a seperate wireless remote that I velcro to my clutch res. cap.It will change songs forward and back,decrease-increase volume and pause unit.You can even charge your unit thru the adaptor that is plugged into the bottom of your nano.I love mine and listen to music all the time on the bike,and when I get tired of the music I hit pause and allow the earbuds to reduce outside noises.
Hope this helped.:thumb

I'd like to keep this thread alive for a bit as still reading up on ear phone stuff. I have viewed many choices and it seems that Bob Weis has a great price compared to others listed?

You can thank my parents for raising me in an honest retail environment.

Why pay $100+ more for another persons silicone ear mold with an ear bud embedded?

Bragging rights?!, after all you do have that roundel on your bike......:thumb
In some cases it's corporate structure, the vendor you deal with has to go through the franchise for the product.

I'll ask , out of pure ignorance, why does it raise the cost of a ear bud from $10-20 range , to $100-250 and up, due to having someone make a mold from your ear impression and recast with an ear bud? Seems to be more like what a dentist would charge . Tightwad comes out in me , every time!
:dunno:lurk

There is the cost of the custom molds to consider. That is somewhat labor intensive when compared to a plastic injection molded bud. A mold is individually made from the impression of your ear then the final plug is cast from that mold. The mold itself is destroyed in the process (lost wax) so duplicate or subsequent orders are just as labor intensive.
Costs can go up with the addition of dual drivers or crossover circuits. Concert hall sound from stage type monitors? Sure $650 and up......
You're/we're riding a motorcycle, what do you need beyond good noise protection and a reasonably decent sound reproduction? HTH
:ear :laugh

More ear bud buzzz

I just got done reading all the replies to your question. I have also debated all the choices and just can't, for the sake of not being taken by the hype, spending $100 on a pair of ear buds. I find that to be insane and a waste. I found the main problem, aside from good fit, comfort and sound isolation, to be keeping the darn things in the ears where they belong when the helmet is removed or put on. I found at a Target store Sony's "Sweet Little Buds" which cost a wopping $12 and fit the bill for all criteria mentioned above, and they stay in your ears and have different tips from tiny to elephant ear canals. I bought 4 pair and just keep them on hand as ready spares. If it breaks, who cares.

You can spend all sorts of $ for this and that but the main weakness I have found in these things is that the wires coming out of the ear pieces always tend to break INSIDE the insulation. The wire is also the antenea so when that happens, it's a double whammy. Buy the cheap and comfortable ones and don't be a slave to the damn things, get out there to ride and jam a little without feeling like a dope for spending $100 or more for something that will get lost or broken within a year, who needs the grief. :dance

Side note: Rad - is that an ipod remote and who makes it?[/QUOTE
Looks to me like it is similiar to my Ijet remote,but it looks to have the Monster Cable logo on it.

It is a Monster remote made for the earlier version of the IPod that is why it has tape on it, I had to cut back the side to get it to fit the new Nano. I'm sure Monster has one to fit the new Nano.

You can just see in the bottom of the pic where my remote lives. The IPod goes on the inside of my Stich.
777910043_qnAzU-L.jpg

Back