• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

trip vancouver canada to new mexico

veva71

Hi all,
5 of us are riding from vancouver canada to arizona and new mex. Somebody told one of my patners that this is a bad time of the year to do NM because of wind storms. is this true? for me would be the high light of the trip.
Any tips about good rides in az?

This is just a warm up for me since I just retired and I`m getting ready for my dream trip wich is to ride my 04 gsa all the way down to the suthern tip of south america. Not a specific date yet but for sure next year.

Thanks all. If anyclub member is riding to this part of the continent send me a line and we`ll get together.....coffee dinner, ride advise or place to stay.

Mario

Almost every year I ride from SF to NM early in November, to attend and help out at Don Cameron's Veterans Day BBQ. I do recall one year where the wind was really howling, and there were comments like "We're just watching Arizona on its way to Texas".

However, it is often a great time of year to make this trip. If it's not too cold, travelling across the middle of AZ is wonderful. I would try to pass through Prescott, Jerome, Payson and Show Low, if possible. If you haven't done it before, US-191 is a great ride from Clifton to Springerville, and then US-180 back to Silver City, NM is very nice as well.

It's all up to Mother Nature, however. A lot of the best roads are fairly high up, and deserts aren't deserts because they are hot, they can be very cold, too.

Wind in NM

I can't say for the rest of the state but in Silver City, NM we don't get strong winds in Nov. (spring is our windy season). You can check out local weather in Silver at my weather station (with records going back to Oct 2006):
http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=KNMSILVE4

One thing is dress warmly as it can start to get a bit nippy.

In AZ try US 191 South out of Alpine, nice! Then you can trip over to Silver via going East on AZ/NM 78 thru Mule Creek (NM) and on into Silver City via US 180 East. You'll love it!

Enjoy the ride, Bob

Last edited:
van to arizona....,,,have u gone yet..i would like to go

Hi all,
5 of us are riding from vancouver canada to arizona and new mex. Somebody told one of my patners that this is a bad time of the year to do NM because of wind storms. is this true? for me would be the high light of the trip.
Any tips about good rides in az?

This is just a warm up for me since I just retired and I`m getting ready for my dream trip wich is to ride my 04 gsa all the way down to the suthern tip of south america. Not a specific date yet but for sure next year.

Thanks all. If anyclub member is riding to this part of the continent send me a line and we`ll get together.....coffee dinner, ride advise or place to stay.

Mario

i live in white road...have u done this trip yet...if u would consider allowing me to go....
lee spencer
riding gs

Back