• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Main Wiring Harnes K75 same as K100 ?

mindtrainer

Hello Everyone,
I think that the main wiring harnesses in our K-Bike are the same and interchangeable between K75's and K100's. Can anyone please confirm or deny this. Thank you.

I think that is too general. My '95 K75 and '86 K75 had obvious differences.

What year/model has a bad harness and what year/model replacement harness do you have in mind?

Different IIRC.. mostly having to do with the ignition/fuel-injection (3 vs 4).

Surprisingly - there are different harnesses for different models of the two bikes.. ran into this when I was in need of a replacement harness for a '87 K75S. The harness was specific to that model of the bike, ones from a C or RT wouldn't work (different length lighting leads..) BMW does the same thing in their cars - wiring harnesses are specific even to the accessory level the car has (if you don't have heated seats - the heated seat wiring isn't included in the harness, and stuff like that..)

You just gave to wonder about the cost effectiveness of manufacturing/stocking so many different items when one could do the job on multiple models.
However, I guess it does become cost effective when we have to buy it from them.

You just gave to wonder about the cost effectiveness of manufacturing/stocking so many different items when one could do the job on multiple models.
However, I guess it does become cost effective when we have to buy it from them.
It's now all done by robots and computer - the computer tells the robot what's in the car/bike, and the robot builds it on demand for THAT bike/car with the equipment it has in it.

Originally it was women who did the wiring harnesses, using a frame that they stretched out wiring on, then wrapped with cloth tape, again - to order for the bike it was being made for. Someplace there was a video showing them making bike harnesses.

Bad news for me...

The reason I asked is because I got a clean ABS wiring harness with a truck load of parts. Most of the parts were for a K75 also there were 2 K100 engines and lots more miscellaneous K-Bike items.
Because none of my bikes have ABS brakes I wanted to offer it up for sale on eBay. But it sure would help if I knew what it would fit.

I got a frame and title for the 86 K75 would the Vin # identify it as an ABS bike?

Last edited:
Back