• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2009 RT Front end vs. 2011RT

T

TONY2733

2011 R1200RT front end Changed

Hey this may not be a big deal but I owned a 2007RT and sold it a few months ago, and two weeks ago I purchased a brand new 2011 RT.

I was at the dealer today and compared the 2009 RT in the showroom front end and My 2011 RT and the front ends are completely different.

Just so happens the 2011 RT was next to a 2011 GS and the front ends are exactly the same.

Just a strange observation,.

Does anyone know or has heard of this change, I see as arather important change, the dia. of the GS fork is larger and more robust.

Anyone have any feedback on the front end change from 2009 to 2011RT.
The 2011RT looks exactly like the GS front end.

I noticed it today when I was at the dealer for the 600 mi. service for my new 2011RT.

Last edited by a moderator:
This seems to be a running change that has occurred on later VIN number bikes within the 2011 model. I like the new design better for the stronger caliper mounts, clamp attachment to the lower Telelever plate as opposed to the earlier bolt attachment. The 2006 Rt I traded in has the same design as the 2010 and early 2011 bikes. I got a new 2011RT that has this new front tube design. Another nice change from my previous bike. I think the latest design looks better too:wave

Great Change

I think it makes sense to use the GS fork.
Strange that BMW does not market the change, I guess
they want too keep it quiet as it may upset the GS folks.

Thank for the response!!!

I never noticed this, but owning neither bike I never looked either.

But sharing as many components as can reasonably be shared across different models only makes sense. Why have several molds, machining processes, and parts inventories unless it is necessary for the function of the bike. Style differences can cost a company a lot of money. Ask GM or Chrysler about that problem.

I have the new forks

I traded a 2006 RT for a 2011 last week. The new bike has the new fork. I just have 400 miles on it but my initial impression is that the bike handles better in the twisties.
The brace above mud gard appears to be more robust than with the former system.
Yes, I know the tires are new; they are z-6's. I was using Mh. RP-2's on the 2006, and they are my tire of choice.

I like the Change

I noticed the larger dia. and like you said the brace is much stronger then on my 2007 RT. Best of luck with your new bike, mine is a 2011 also.
Just passed 1500 miles just riding to work every day is a joy. Did you get the audio package, I never had one on the 07, but this time I went for it because of the bluetooth option on the 2011

The story that I heard was that the newer forks are being produced by Works Performance and the original ones were Showa's.
when they upgrade the dash then I will consider trading up.
How is that audio package working? Has anyone tried to link the Bluetooth to a Sena SMH-10 headset as of yet?

The story that I heard was that the newer forks are being produced by Works Performance and the original ones were Showa's.
when they upgrade the dash then I will consider trading up.
How is that audio package working? Has anyone tried to link the Bluetooth to a Sena SMH-10 headset as of yet?

WP is NOT Works Performance. WP is White Power, a Netherland company that now makes their shocks in Austria. The new 2011 GS also uses WP now. The Showas are made in Japan. BMW has used Showa for many of their bikes since the mid 1990's. BMW has had a lot of failures of recent Showa shocks hence WP is again the flavor of the month again. At times they have used both brands at the same time. Anyway, IMHO the WP shocks are light years better in performance and looks to Showa. The Showa fork legs were sand cast and crude compared to the polished WP's.

I agree WP is better

The WP front end is 10 times more robust then the front end on my 07 RT was.

Also The radio with bluetooth on my 2011 is great, I have it paired with a Cardo G4 and is works great, and the vari. volume speed option works well.

Back