• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Scorpion EXO-900 Transformer

Freightdawg

Last year I purchased a Scorpion Transformer helmet prior to my first attempt at a SaddleSore 1000. Now, I would never do anything as stupid as to go on a trip like that with new equipment without testing it during some local riding. Unfortunately, that riding took the form of commuting to and from work, a ride of just under half an hour.

When I embarked on my trip out west, after just under an hour of riding I started getting the worst headache and it was from the helmet's liner. There is piping sewn into the liner that forms a shallow 'V' across the forehead.

Last week I contacted the company and here's the exchange:

Sir,

We apologize for the branding, we at this time only make the one type
for the EXO-900.

Thank you.

Glen West
ScorpionUSA.com
949-768-5517

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Wednesday, October 20, 2010 2:39 PM
To: Glen West
Subject: Consumer inquiry from scorpionusa.com

I own an EXO-900 TransFormer and have been extremely pleased with the
features, especially having both a clear and tinted visor available all
the time. It's great being able to go to work when it's sunny and come
home when it's dark (or vice versa) without having to change visors.

I have one complaint, however. After about 30-45 minutes of riding, I
start to experience discomfort caused by the liner. There is piping
sewn into the liner about halfway between the crown and the bottom edge.
It comes to a shallow "V" on my forehead and causes a pressure point
there. When I commute to work, I'm not wearing the helmet long enough
to cause discomfort, but I'm "branded" with a "V" on my forehead when I
get to work.

Is there any chance you make a smoother liner that fits the 900?

Thanks.

I tried cutting out the piping and took a test ride today of 80+ miles. About 45 minutes into it all I could think about was getting home and getting that torture device off my head.

First of all, I hope this will serve as a warning to anyone considering purchasing this helmet.

Secondly, does anyone have any suggestions for making this helmet more comfortable? I really don't want to drop the coin on a new lid right now. Plus I don't have any long trips planned until next year. Just trips back and forth to work for now.

Thanks!

Jeff

I have an older Scorpion EXO-700 and I don't see the piping in it that you mention in your helmet. It has been absolutely great. Do you wear a helmet liner? I would think that a liner could easily help somewhat. I've been wearing a liner for several years now and really like it.

I had a helmet years ago that was just too short from fore to aft, and it drove me nuts with a hot spot on my forehead. So I understand your torture device comment. Has your problem gotten any better at all with time?

Do you wear a helmet liner? . . . Has your problem gotten any better at all with time?
I tried a skull cap from UnderArmor and it made the helmet too tight, even as thin as it is. And, no, it hasn't gotten better with time.

Thanks for the response.:wave

Jeff

Really not fair to "warn" people about this helmet. Fit is very personal. I have 2 of them. I use one for off road and one for on road and I've worn both for 10 hour days and never had a problem. On the other hand after many years with a Nolan N102 that was very comfortable, I bought a N103 as a replacement and it gave me such a headache after an hour that I almost took it off for the ride home. It was unbearable. I sold it to a friend of mine and he loves it.

Bill
07 R1200RT
09 KLR

Secondly, does anyone have any suggestions for making this helmet more comfortable?

If it was mine, I'd compress the foam by tapping on it with a hammer.

Yeah, yeah, I know most folks wouldn't do that.

Alternative method, take the liner out and shrink the foam a bit with a heat gun, or shave it a bit with a razor. The razor method is tedious. DAMHIK.

I know people wouldn't do that either, but if you want to wear the helmet, you don't have any other options.

Last edited:
Confused?

The Exo-900 was on my short list for possible new helmet purchase.

I tried an XL on in the shop, and thought it fit nicely. My usual helmets are a Nolan N102 and a N103, two bikes, two riders, two helmets. My wife and I sometimes trade helmets and rides, so I've worn both helmets for extended rides. They are very both comfortable, from my experience.

Other than being noisy, I like the Nolans. I had hoped the Scorpion would be quieter. Now, I concerned about the piping causing headaches.:dunno I cannot stand certain ball caps on my head for more than a few minutes, so like the original poster I suspect IÔÇÖm one of the unlucky one.

Len

Really not fair to "warn" people about this helmet. Fit is very personal.

I have to agree. I have an EXO-900 and can wear it all day without any problems. Certainly haven't noticed rubbing from the lining. Like most helmets, mine was tight when it was new but loosened up a bit as I wore it. I also think that noise is just as subjective as fit. Any helmet is noisy IMO, which is why ear plugs or ear bud speakers are a good idea.

If the skull cap helps solve the problem, but makes the helmet too tight, you can purchase a larger size liner. The Scorpion helmets are sized by the liner. They make two shell sizes - small and large. The shell is the same for XS, small and medium and likewise, large, XL and 2XL are based on the larger shell. The difference in size is based on the liner.

If you have a large helmet and want to add a skull cap, purchase a replacement XL liner and this will give you some extra room without buying an entirely new helmet. You can make a Large helmet and XL or even a 2XL and liners can be ordered off the Scorpion website or from a dealer.

It is possible to dent the foam slightly with a hammer or shrink it with a heat gun, but it would be much quicker and more efficient to simply beat yourself in the head with the hammer or set your hair on fire with the heat gun.

Everyone's head is shaped differently.

What I did was to run the round butt of a screwdriver over the "tight' points.... this "softened" the hard seams and compressed the liner in the tight spots... I've done this for at least a dozen helmets...

Signed: Lumpyskul

After riding with the EXO1000 today for about 30 minutes, I got a killer headache.
Plus it weighs a ton compared to my EXO700 (which fits flawlessly).

The helmet goes back tomorrow. Nothing short of cutting the top off is going to work.

Might try taking the liner out and have someone sew up a new one.Maybe a local tailor could help.

If it was mine, I'd compress the foam by tapping on it with a hammer.

Yeah, yeah, I know most folks wouldn't do that.

Seriously? You could also just paint your head black with a stripe so that cops can't see that you're not wearing a helmet at all.

To the original poster. for years I wore the same size in all my Helmets. I bought a new fullface and like you it hurt my forehead. I couldn't understand how this could happen. let me ask you this...have you gained weight? When a person gains weight they gain it everywhere. Otherwise your head gets larger. For 80% of the people this is not a major problem. But for the other 20% who are at upper end of their Helmet size, suddenly the new Helmet is too small. This is what happened to me when I went from 235 lbs to 260 lbs. I bought a larger size Helmet and was fine. Now I have lost the weight and my old Helmets fit me fine. Just my .02 worth.

Sell that helmet and get on that makes you happy.

FYI I wore my new Scorpian EXO 1000 yesterday for the third time. I was at the Victory BMW dealer in PHX. Lucky for me the Scorpian factory rep. was there. My helmet besides being very tight and uncomfortable (XXL) lost the entire rear rubber molding that goes around the back of the helmet. The rep. said someone would call me to "take care of it" Monday Nov. 1st. I will keep you posted.

I find this helmet very poorly constructed and extremely uncomfortable for more than 30 minutes. Yes I too have spooned out the inside to no avail.

Unless a miracle happens Monday I could never recommend this helmet or brand to anyone.

Jack

My experience with Scorpion was quite different - after 20 years loyal to Shoei I bought a new EXO-700 last fall and am exceedingly happy with it. I did however manage to catch the rear vent piece on a table edge and knock it off. I called and talked to the Scorpion folks and asked if they sold just that rear piece - instead they just promised to send me a new one gratis. It showed up 2 days later with the glue tape needed to affix it. So far I am pretty happy with Scorpion and the helmet.

Scorpions are good helmets. Its just that all heads are not shaped similar. I use a 700 and am quite happy except for the wind noise inside.
If anyone here had a 700 and was happy, upgraded to a 900 and have less noise, I wanna hear. I would like to buy a 900 if that were the case.

Scorpions are good helmets. Its just that all heads are not shaped similar. I use a 700 and am quite happy except for the wind noise inside.
If anyone here had a 700 and was happy, upgraded to a 900 and have less noise, I wanna hear. I would like to buy a 900 if that were the case.

Are you using an Aero Skirt with the EXO-700? I installed one in mine a couple of years ago and it seems to help with the wind noise problem. I don't know how well the EXO-900 or the EXO-1000 would fit my head, but I can't say enough good things about their 700.

I have a Scorpion EXO-1000 and have been very pleased with fit, finish features and comfort of the helmet. Love the internal visor.

I have a Scorpion EXO-1000 and have been very pleased with fit, finish features and comfort of the helmet. Love the internal visor.

How long have you had the Helmet? How many times have you worn it?

After pointing out the delamination around 3/4 of the bottom of the helmet to the factory rep. in PHX I returned home to Tucson. Now the entire bottom of the helmet dropped off. This is the third time I had worn it?????

Jack

Back