• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Hospitality committee needs your input

O

Ol salt

As a member of your Hospitality Committee for this years National, I would like to ask the forum members what services and/or items you would like to see be made available to you from the committee. We are here to serve you and your input would be greatly appreciated. It would assist us in making this rally as pleasant an experience as possible for you as well as us. :wave

Hospitality

Where are the closest laundry faclities, grocery stores, local restaurants, maybe even Wall Mart, put this on a large map of the city with oneway streets marked. I can find my way across the country but I damm sure get lost going across town. :thumb

I met a guy while I was in Africa who has been to almost all of the Nationals. What he'd love would be a backdrop (like a Beemerville USA street scene) where people could pose with their bikes to make their own souvenier of the rally. Could that be a job for the hospitality crew????

Voni
sMiling

I would like to see recommendations for destination rides, that might be off the beaten path. Such as maybe something to a cool museum or something.

Good Local Advice

I was the Hospitality and Map Tours Chair for the 1996 Rally in Morganton. We coordinated the work of the 3 Chartered Clubs that were local, we had a large map to discuss good riding in the area, a ride sheet with directions for all the good roads, a list of restaurants and other services of interest.

Over the years, as the Internet came on strong, the Rally Web site has features pages listing nearby adventures, restarant guide, and information about local road conditions.

I've found that if you can assemble this information early, it's useful for people planning their rally ride, and useful in the hospitality booth for those of us completely incapable of planning! :)

Ian

Voni said:
I met a guy while I was in Africa who has been to almost all of the Nationals. What he'd love would be a backdrop (like a Beemerville USA street scene) where people could pose with their bikes to make their own souvenier of the rally. Could that be a job for the hospitality crew????

Voni
sMiling

Excellant idea!!!!!!!!!

gsjay

Phgotographs

Voni said:

Voni
sMiling

Believe it or not this has already been discussed and is a probability. if a photographer can be found. Sue was working on this last I heard.

Ol'Salt said:
Believe it or not this has already been discussed and is a probability. if a photographer can be found. Sue was working on this last I heard.

I think they were looking to have something more like a photo op set up so people could take their own pictures. I envision this as a big Beemerville banner (with the logo for the rally) hung on a wall so people can have their picture taken in front of it. The banners are fairly cheap now and any FastSigns can make you one for $6/sq. foot, I believe.

The tricky part would be keeping people from parking in front of the sign. Having run security, managing where people can and can't park can be a chore as some folks think the rules just don't appy to them. :dunno

a sewing table with lots of spare fabric and several sewing machines. and i mean the fancy ones, where you can load a bitmap image and it'll do th embroidery too!

why? so everyone can make their rally shirt the way they want it. want a collar? sew one on! want a pocket? sew one on! want a special logo or image? no problem!

KBasa said:
I think they were looking to have something more like a photo op set up so people could take their own pictures. I envision this as a big Beemerville banner (with the logo for the rally) hung on a wall so people can have their picture taken in front of it. The banners are fairly cheap now and any FastSigns can make you one for $6/sq. foot, I believe.

The tricky part would be keeping people from parking in front of the sign. Having run security, managing where people can and can't park can be a chore as some folks think the rules just don't appy to them. :dunno
I believe what was discussed was as you stated but to also have a photographer for those who may want a professional one done. May have to schedule appointments as a way of avoiding a traffic problem. Logistics of this seemingly simple task could be great with 6-7,00 attendees.

tried this

We've tried this set up with a professional photograher at other events I've been involved with.

You'd be surprised how hesitant folks are to step up and take advantage of this service.

I don't know if it's the price or what. You hear a lot of "we'll have to come back and do that" but you guessed it, they never come back.

This set up would have to be somewhere folks could stop at while heading in or out of the rally site, making it as convient as possible!

I think a lot of folks also want the digital file for use in other formats and most professional photographers aren't going to part with the file.

my 2 cents,
gsjay

You could do something similar to what we did in Missoula: Single-sheet handouts (can be half-page sized) showing local rides; just pick three or four and show them generally, then folks can compare to their own maps for other details.

One map showing hardware, supply and local mc shops, especially BMW shop. And U-Ship-It places, too. (Maybe invite a U-Ship-It shop to set up at the rally.) I worked the hospitality table at the Missoula rally and the most often asked question was how to get to the BMW shop.

You could do better than we did in Spokane: On that generic restaurant/Wal Mart map, show gas stations and Quickie Marts located nearest to the rally site and remind anyone going on any group ride to go there first, fuel up and buy water, BEFORE showing up at the staging area for their event. At the GS tent in Spokane, every ride, riders showed up still needing fuel and packing no water.

One more time

I have asked for this before, but never does it happen:

I'd like to see a large map of the rally grounds posted near registration - and divided into sections like a lot of AAA maps - A-J across the top and 01-15 across the side. And a place where people who want can list their name and the quadrant where they are camping - or where they want to meet at a day/hour. The map could also be reprinted in the rally program.

Every event would have an 'address' included - like "Seminar Bldg C - 9-F." We could also post these poster-sized maps around the grounds so people can find events and each other.

It would also help security . In case of an emergency, first aid, etc. could get very close to the scene of a problem without question.

For those with cell phones or family band radios, you can meet a freind without getting lost by telling them the quadrant you are in, right now.

Clubs with hospitality tents can list them on the board near registration - so arriving riders can find their club without riding around endlessly looking for someone familiar.

And so on... :deal

Last edited:
KBasa said:
I think they were looking to have something more like a photo op set up so people could take their own pictures.

Nope --- Old Salt had it right. We are working with a professional who will take a souvie picture of you and your bike in front of Beemerville.....

Ride Length

For planning purposes what length of "day rides" do you prefer?

Back