• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

08 RT Brake Line Recall

racer7

Spun by my dealer today to get the pair of brake lines replaced that are part of the recall campaign. Was told by them that there is a total of about 23K bikes being recalled averaging almost 180 bikes per dealer if they all come in eventually.
So far my dealer has done about 70 bikes.

They can sell you the parts if you want to do it yourself (about $50) but by letting them do it, its free for me and I get to play with the demo bikes- this time the GS650 and GS800. Really liked the GS 650 as an around town play bike that also has enough punch to run the roads at any normal speeds- the low gearing of both is a revelation after the long gearing of my RT. The techs like the 800 as a base for mods- apparently it can make more power than its 80 hp fairly easily and of course comes with a more serious off road suspension than the 650 which is softer and lower. One is thinking about doing the supermoto route with the 800 and using it in th NC twisties on road tires.

Noticed the new recall brake lines have bluish nuts at the junction block by the steering head so it is easy to tell at a glance what bikes have the recall done. The lines have added reinforcing near the flanges to stop vibration cracks that have apparently happened first on some cop bikes. I can't imagine actually cracking the brake lines on my RT- the originals were robust and pretty well laid out- but apparently there have been harmonic vibration cracks in a few cases . BMW is being really really conservative with this recall, IMO.

I also got a lesson in how fast good techs really are. I do my own service at my own pace and would have taken an afternoon at a leisurely pace to change the lines-They did it in 1 hr 18 min for a pair of lines that run under the gas tank. I know how to do this swap without even looking at a manual but I can't imagine me doing it in a little over an hour- that would be way too much like real work! BMW allows dealerships 1 1/3 hrs at shop rate to do the work.

Anyway, my RT now works as before with two new lines with cute bluish nuts on them.

While I was there I also turned in a dead BMW Zumo for a fix or replace. Made it almost two years before it stopped responding to screen input. The dealer says all the ones with bad bubbled screens like mine that he had returned (they go to Garmin) had very close serial numbers so may have originated in a single bad run- his personal one is much older and more abused and still problem free with a non-bubbled screen..

Are they mushy as most of us have reported?

I re-bled them right after returning from the dealer which eventually put them back in shape.

If I had known I could have replaced them myself I would have. It would have saved the spots where brake fluid was obviously spilled onto some of the silver parts. Good thing I was considerate in removing all of the fairings prior.

Interesting though that BMW never called with a survey regarding the service provided.

No problems whatever. Your shop may not know to close off the master cylinder and is getting air into it, a common mistake.

My local guys gravity bleed and everything is as solid as when I do it myself.

I asked my dealer if anyone had brought in a bike with the front line failure and turns out they actually had one fail. I ended up talking with the guy who had the failure and he told me he had brake fluid all over the place and basically lost the front brakes. He rode it home using only the rear brake and of course got it fixed immediatly.

Kudos to BMW for stepping up and doing the right thing. Even though it's statistically rare to fail, it can also be deadly in the wrong moment.

On a similar topic, the brake maintenance with the fluid change is every 24k for the 08RT. Just like this bulletin, all the Tupperware needs to be removed along with removing the tank to bleed the lines. Point is: if BMW is picking up the tab for all that removal while replacing the front line, if you go ahead and pay out of pocket for the rear brake fluid to be changed out at the same time, you're resetting the clock for the 24K maintenance.

All that stuff get's put back and you ride home with the brake system completely updated for the next two years. Not a bad deal.

Back