• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Bluetooth Helmet Headsets?

ted

Dum vivimus vivamus
Hi Folks,

I've decided it is time to enter the 21st Century and buy a Bluetooth helmet headset so I can (1) listen to music on my iPod, and (2) make and receive phone calls on my Blackberry - I don't think I would ever use bike-to-bike intercom nor do I need an FM radio. I've done a little research and it seems that there are basically three solutions for my Scorpion EXO-700 helmet, the Cardo Scala Rider Solo and intercom-capable Scala Rider Q2; the SMH10, and the BlueAnt Interphone F4.

It seems price runs about $150 to $250 for these things, but I have found one vendor selling the Scala Q2 for $120 (so that is top of the list for now...)

Anyone have these or others and want to comment? Comparisons would be especially helpful!

Thanks folks,

Ted

I too am on the verge of buying a BT headset for my Shoei, I plan on using the intercom along with the BT for the phone and GPS if I ever get a new one that can link to it. I think I going to go with the Sena. Seems like it has good volume, can BT the music or hard line it and not interfer with the phone BT etc, same as the Cardio. Just like the controls and reviews for the Sena.

Might want to check out Web Bike world, they have been on the BT headset thing for a while reviewing them as the come out.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/

Ted,

I use the J&M bluetooth unit. I cannot compare it to the units you mentioned, but I can tell you that it works great. I use it for GPS directions, music, phone calls (rarely), and to talk to my wife through the optional wired intercom.

I would highly recommend the extra capacity battery and professional installation from a company such as Sierra Electronics.

Happy Shopping!

Mike

Blue Ant F4

Got 2 units which work really well. Paired easily with everything, have a nice "auto volume" function, have a nice range, a charge lasts a long enough (at least a full day), and got a boom mike for wife's open-face and a chin-bar mike for my full face.

I have a Scala Q2 dual set. It works good for music, other than that the speakers sound like crud. Receiving a call on my phone, sound is great, I can talk & hear very well. No issues & most people cannot believe I'm on my bike talking. Bike to Bike is awesome. My buddy with the same unit & I had a great conversation all the way to the rally & back. It is clear, full duplex & keeps you alert when music isn't cutting it.

I'm going to cut the headset wires to use better speakers or inserts as well.

I guy I met at the rally had a unit I've never heard of. He was super happy with the sound & how it worked with his iPOD. I think it was SENA. It had a big wheel to change volume, etc...

John.

I really like the BlueAnt but it apparently lacks a hard audio input so I have taken a pass on it. In doing more research it seems that the Scala Q2 speakers are quite weak so I am leaning towards the Sena SMH10. The new Scala G4 is out but it is more expensive than the SMH10 and the WebBikeWorld shootout still put it in second place.

Does anyone know if intercom units from different manufacturers can pair?

EDIT - thanks for the input John, it certainly seems like you are not alone with the weak speakers comment, matter of fact there are several Youtube videos showing how to mod the Q2 with better speakers. The SMH-10 is the one with the big dial, looks pretty cool - unfortunately it looks like Sena forgot to pay its web hosting bill :)

Someone somewhere recommended MrHit and they seem to have the lowest price I have found yet, $150 - apparently nice folks to deal with as well.

The J&M unit looks like a great contender here, though the price is unfortunately on the high side. Plus, the Sena dial looks like a very handy feature.

I was biting my tongue over this as it seems our biggest complaint as motorcyclists are distracted drivers.
Do you really need to be that 'connected'?

Again, one of the main reasons I ride is to escape this stuff.

I just needed to be the one dissenting vote. ;)

I hear your voice. That is the reason we live in a society that allows choice. You are free to ride to escape and not have to listen to my Playlist. :wave :thumb

Ride Well
Ride Often
Ride to :eat

Ride Attentive.

And wear your gear, make sure your bike is properly maintained, and don't listed to people who say motorcycles are too dangerous - now can we get back to headsets? :whistle

Thanks to the power of the forum there is a local rider with a Sena headset I will hopefully be checking out in person this week!

For reference...

Sena SMH10
MH-SENA-SMH10S-2T.jpg

Scala Q2
Scala_Rider_Q2_Headset_By_Cardo_detail.jpg
+

Scala G4
cardoscala_g4_detail.jpg

BlueAnt F4
MH-F4-2T.jpg

Last edited:
Sena owner since June - my son & I love ours

Mind if I ask a few questions?

What type of helmets are you using?
Any issues with install? Mic or speaker placement?
Is the volume enough to clearly hear the spoken word (will be using it mainly for lectures, podcasts and audiobooks) when using foam earplugs?
Does the auto-volume feature where it raises and lowers the volume to match ambient noise work well?
Lastly, how long does the battery work on a charge?

Thanks!

J&m

Here is a reprint from a posting I did last year. I am still using the J&M and still could not be happier. Even with ear plugs (old age tinnitus, ya know) I get full robust stereo and directions when needed from the Garmin. In the rare case I get a call from the Wife, it turns off the Garmin music and auto answers the phone and auto hangs up when done. (I do have the hit the PLAY button on the Garmin to get the music to restart.) Even at 70+, she has no trouble hearing me talking. Did a six hour ride today and never lost power or volume. I stand by my earlier recommendation. And once the riding season is over, I may send the head unit back for the update but really see no need at this point except that it will be the 'latest and greatest'.

Ok, I know I said my last post was my last on this subject. However, ... I decided to go to a full faced helmet. Getting another Arai was a must. I went to several shops, trying on different ones and settled on a Profile. I remembered seeing on the J&M website (http://www.jmcorp.com) they now sell helmets with their bluetooth setup installed. I gave 'em a call to discuss and get a price. I originally did not go with J&M because their price was pretty high ($299.99) but more because their return policy on the bluetooth setup is pretty strict. Essentially, you buy, you own it. While I was talking with the J&M rep, he made sure I understood this policy. But, he also told me several of the folks at J&M are using the bluetooth setup with no issues. Anyway, I was quoted a price of a Arai Profile in 3X, with their bluetooth rig installed by them, and shipped to me all for $699.99. Quick math: Profile MSRP $535. J&M Bluetooth $300 = $835 not counting installation and shipping. My price $700. I installed a Chatterbox in my Arai Classic; what a pain. And it did not look good when I finished. (I returned that thing due to lack of volume.) Well, I have been using the J&M for a week now. It pairs up easily to my Garmin 765T and to my Samsung Rogue with no problems at all. The sound quality is superb. Plus, this thing has enough available volume to blow the helmet off. And the professional installation is just that, a professional job. The only wires viewable are the ones that run from the head unit to the helmet padding; maybe a 1/2". You cannot see the speakers at all. The mic is installed in the chin bar and again, no wires. A first class installation. I did 5 hours today, with the J&M on the entire time, listening to tunes from the Garmin and my cell phone. (I have also paired it up to my iPod Touch. Works like a champ.) It performed flawlessly and NO WIRES. I will order a spare battery (yes, you can change the batter on the J&M) and the lighter plug adapter (just in case I need to charge it or power it from Hilda) on Monday. This really is my final post on this subject. Oh, one last thing - they shipped Fedex Ground. This was very inconvenient for me. On my next order, I will ask for Fedex Express.

I have the Sena and love them. I did have the Scala G4 and had nothing but problems with them. I also had problems with Scala factory on getting a refund. The biggest improvement the Sena has over the others is that they do not use VOX.
Mike

Mind if I ask a few questions?

Lastly, how long does the battery work on a charge?

Thanks!
That's one of the big questions Ted. When I was deciding on what I wanted for my RT-P - the decision was already J&M - the question was Bluetooth or wired, I spent some time visiting with a couple friends that used one or the other, then spent some time visiting with Pete at J&M. Pete works on salary so he couldn't care less on what choice I made.

Two things that moved me to a wired system. 1) battery life and the need to recharge on longer rides and 2) the most important consideration for me was the fact that even J&M states specifically regarding the random unpairing of Bluetooth devices. When I "want" the system to work, if it drops the paired connection, I'll be unnecessarily irritated that I have to stop and pair again to keep using the unit. If it drops at the wrong time, there could be unintended consequences that could have been avoided by simply using a [cheaper] hard wired system.

Hit this link to read what J&M has to say about Bluetooth.

FWIW - I like to listen to music, books and language courses, via Zumo, when I ride. I have no experience with passenger or "buddy" communications.

I have a Nolan with the BT headset (mono) and a Scala G4. Both cost about $250.
Never had any real problems with either of them, and the G4 was recently replaced (without cost) after the charging port failed.

The Nolan cannot be moved to another helmet, the battery will not last a long day at high volume (I use ear plugs), but can be charged while riding, with the unit switched off. Audio quality is average to poor.

The G4 is stereo BT, lasts all day, has a radio with six preset channnels, has a USB interface (to set language and radio channels) and has a quality feel about it. Audio quality is average.

Ted,

I went with the Scala G4's this spring -- let me know if you would like to meet up to see/test listen to them.

One of the reasons I went with the G4's over the G2 is that the G4's were built to the latest Bluetooth spec (better AD2P(sp?) stereo audio and compatibility, IIRC); I'm not sure whether the G2's are as capable as the G4's -- I suspect a firmware upgrade for the G2 is already out there, but I don't know whether there are any hardware differences.

With the G4, I was pleasantly surprised by the audio quality. Not quite as good as J&M wired headsets (which I've used for the last decade), but pretty close, IMO. I'm pretty picky about such things, but after using the G4 for a while, I realized the fidelity is more than adequate for a motorcycle environment. Like all headsets, speaker placement is critical. The speakers are considerably thinner than the ones with the top-end J&M headsets, making helmet fitment easier.

Another area I believe the G4's improve on the G2's is battery life. My set up is iPhone 4 connected via Bluetooth to a Zumo 660 (rather than the G4 -- that lets me see incoming calls on/dial from the 660's screen), and Zumo 660 connected to the G4. I have an 8GB microSD card in the 660 for mp3's (alternatively, the G4 helmet base has a jack for a cable directly to an mp3 player). Commuting to/from Fairfax City to 10th & Penn means ~1.5-2 hrs of use a day. If I don't use the mp3 player, I go at least a week between charges. If I listen to music, life is less, but frankly I'm not sure how much less -- I haven't killed the battery yet. I tend to throw it on the charger ~ 1/wk if I think about it when I'm in the garage. It lasted the whole day riding up to Finger Lakes (some mp3 use, but not much -- mental trash can-scouring time, as Robert Persig would say ;)). Once at the rally, I put it on the mini-USB cable-cigarette-socket charger I carry on the airhead RT Friday evening for a while, and that was it through the rest of the weekend until home. Obviously, YMMV, but I was again pleasantly surprised by the battery life.

I recognize price ia a consideration, but I'm of the mind that if the money is available, buy what works best for your needs -- unhappiness with a less than satisfactory choice will far outlast any memory of any money saved.

Happy to take further Qs.

Best,
Mark

Last edited:
Sena SMH10

My wife and I used the Sena SMH10 dual system this riding season (2010) and they worked great. Clear audio between the motorcycles. The devices are small and are very easy to use with gloves on. I'd highly recommend them.

Back