Thread: New member in eastern NC

radan2

Smile New member in eastern NC

I just bought an 89 R1000GS. It has 45,000 miles.

Jim Wayne
    Jacksonville, NC
    Last edited by radan2; 10-16-2010 at 08:16 AM. Reason: left out name and address

It's Happy Hour somewhere spartanbeemer's Avatar
    Welcome to the group.
    Nice looking bike.
    To ride or not to ride; No question about it!
    '85 K100 & '04 R1150RT
    http://spartan-bemr.spaces.live.com/

beautiful bike, and welcome here.

if you are new to BMW airheads, especially the GS you bought, ask the previous owner if its drive shaft has ever been serviced. on that particular model the U-joints are known to wear out at 40k miles,depending on how they were ridden. Some wear out sooner, others later, but they all wear. They can be rebuilt and have a grease fitting added, or you can get another new one.

sorry to harsh the buzz of a new bike, but this is an important safety item that should not be overlooked. a good way to test for an impending problem is to put the bike on the centerstand, elevate the rear wheel and slowly rotate it while listening at the transmission's output shaft.

any rough spot or rumbling sound is a sign of wear. if it is worn, don't wait too long to fix it as the needle bearings in the u-joint can stick and the whole driveline can freeze up at not-a-good time.

ian
    Go soothingly through the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________
    '67 Trail 90 || '86 R80 G/SPD+ || '97 F650ST || '00 1150 GS || '07 Xchallenge || '13 CB500X || '14 Grom

radan2
    Quote Originally Posted by Visian View Post
    beautiful bike, and welcome here.

if you are new to BMW airheads, especially the GS you bought, ask the previous owner if its drive shaft has ever been serviced. on that particular model the U-joints are known to wear out at 40k miles,depending on how they were ridden. Some wear out sooner, others later, but they all wear. They can be rebuilt and have a grease fitting added, or you can get another new one.

sorry to harsh the buzz of a new bike, but this is an important safety item that should not be overlooked. a good way to test for an impending problem is to put the bike on the centerstand, elevate the rear wheel and slowly rotate it while listening at the transmission's output shaft.

any rough spot or rumbling sound is a sign of wear. if it is worn, don't wait too long to fix it as the needle bearings in the u-joint can stick and the whole driveline can freeze up at not-a-good time.

ian
    Thank you so much for the info! I will definitely check this out. Info like this is why I like forums like this so much!

It's always good to see a new member from the Carolinas. Welcome, and have fun with the new bike!

radan2
    Visian, I performed your suggested test today. There was no jerkiness or noise. I will continue to check regularly. Thanks for the info.

If the weather is decent the week before Christmas, I'm going to tow my bike to Myrtle Beach when I make the family pilgrimage and plan to ride to Goldsboro to get a Wilber's BBQ fix. I'll wave as I pass your way.

radan2
    Quote Originally Posted by rockbottom View Post
    If the weather is decent the week before Christmas, I'm going to tow my bike to Myrtle Beach when I make the family pilgrimage and plan to ride to Goldsboro to get a Wilber's BBQ fix. I'll wave as I pass your way.
    I sincerely hope that by that time at least one of my bikes will be running.