• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

does anybody here use pulsing brake lights?

I have the Kisan Signalminder, which is the easiest upgrade. I connected the brake light to have the brake flash option activated and I like it a lot. I really have the idea that it attracts attention from other drivers. Some people think it's a bit too much, but since motorcycles are often overlooked, I'll keep it on.
The fast flash feature of the Signalminder which quickly flashes your indicator as long as you hold the button is also a nice feature. I think that really works.

I also like the running lights, which make a bike much more visible at night. The RT I ride is just a little red dot in the dark, even though the bike itself is quite large in daylight. On a busy highway, the little red dot will fade among all the other red lights from cars.

I also added the Black ScotchLite on the side- and topcases, and on the front fender (sides). Unless you're sleepwalking, you can't really miss it now I guess...

I've used Hyper-Lites on two bikes. The current one has 2 modules, 16 really bright "modulating" lights each, that is, they go from dim to bright, never actually off. I'm thinking about going to a Skene modulator on the rear, too. I added a Skene modulator to my HyperWhites up front and I like the effect. I have had no problems connecting Hyper-Lites to CANBUS.

I ride at night daily and I have multiple lights front, rear and side. I use Oznium flexible strip LEDs to enhance visibility. Hooked up to the Skene modulator, they also twinkle.

One thing I do is deliberately slow down cars driving behind me well before a stopping point, when I can. Give them a couple sets of flashes until I know they're slowing. So many drivers are on autopilot, simply following the person in front of them. A little jolt of red flashing works wonders getting their attention.

P3 setup

The Skene P3 can be setup to not flash. You turn on the key and within about 5 seconds you press the brake 4 times and you are done until you program it again.

Hth,
Tsp
Blog: www.swriding.blogspot.com

I would love to have those lights but they are illegal in Canada.

The only vehicles that are allowed to have flashing red lights are Police, Fire and Ambulances.

Skene Design P3 Lights are nice since you can program them on the fly. When you turn the ignition on, you tap the brakes the following number of times for the following results:

Brake Light Programming
4x No brake light modulation
5x Brakes modulate 4 times slowly, then solid
6x Brakes modulate 4 times rapidly, 4 times slowly, then solid
Mode is saved on power off

Emergency Flasher
7x Medium repeating flash
8x Rapid repeating flash
9x Quad flash
Flasher is disabled when you apply the brake again

Tail Light Modulation
10x Toggles tail light modulation on & off

Tail Light Brightness
12x Toggles tail light brightness - high/low (this is the "flickering" effect that people usually refer to)

Damn... they do everything but turn down the lights

before you lay your head on the pillow! :laugh

Or maybe that is 13 taps..... :bolt

Skene Design P3 Lights are nice since you can program them on the fly. When you turn the ignition on, you tap the brakes the following number of times for the following results:

Brake Light Programming
4x No brake light modulation
5x Brakes modulate 4 times slowly, then solid
6x Brakes modulate 4 times rapidly, 4 times slowly, then solid
Mode is saved on power off

Emergency Flasher
7x Medium repeating flash
8x Rapid repeating flash
9x Quad flash
Flasher is disabled when you apply the brake again

Tail Light Modulation
10x Toggles tail light modulation on & off

Tail Light Brightness
12x Toggles tail light brightness - high/low (this is the "flickering" effect that people usually refer to)

I have the little bulb that has a brake flash feature built into it-has been on two bikes for several yrs so far, so good.

i have seen rear brake light flashers that also cause the rear turn signals to alternately flash along with the brake light. anyone know of this brand, or whether it is brand specific or programmable?

i would love to have these on my BMWs

i recently went into my local BMW dealership to schedule some work for my 1988 K100.
i ordered some PIAA lights for the front end and asked if they sold flasher kits for rear lighting/brake lights. i was informed by the service manager that such equipment is illegal in PA and my bike (s) would NOT pass PA State Inspection if equipped thusly! a quick search or the PA motor vehicle codes for motorcycles did NOT turn up any solid info on the subject. in fact it does not mention rear brake flashers at all.

anybody here know the PA law on this?

I just added the Skene P3 setup to my RT last week.
I do notice cars seem to follow less closely and really back off when I hit the brakes, especially at night.

They are programmable, but I really like the stock programming. I was concerned at first with the flickering of the LED's in taillight only mode, but oncee you back up about 30 feet they appear to shine steadily.

just installed the hyperlites california pulsing option on my new RT. Works well without messing up the canbus. The added light sure seems to make cars stop sooner and keep their distance.

P3's and Road Rocketeer

Huge fan of the P3 lights after having breakfast with the owners in Johnson City a couple of years ago. Great people! Combined with the BRAKE light from the former Road Rocketeer company, cars literally hit their brakes when I touch mine. Some even might get a mouthful of phone one of these days.

i recently went into my local BMW dealership to schedule some work for my 1988 K100.
i ordered some PIAA lights for the front end and asked if they sold flasher kits for rear lighting/brake lights. i was informed by the service manager that such equipment is illegal in PA and my bike (s) would NOT pass PA State Inspection if equipped thusly!

Well I guess I'm going to have to miss the Bloomsburg rally because I sure don't want to get a ticket for the flashing LED brake lights on my bike. :) It seems, based on the number of posts in this thread that a lot of us will be in trouble in Pennsylvania.

Oh, I think I'll go anyway. I'll just add the cost of that ticket to the cost of the $5 gas to get there. :)

http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/vehicle_code/index.shtml

There is nothing in chapter 43 (Lighting Equipment) about this. The closest I can find is a statement in Chapter 45 that says you cant have police/emergency service type flashing lights.

(d) Vehicles prohibited from using signals.--Except as
otherwise specifically provided in this section, no vehicle
other than an emergency vehicle may be equipped with revolving
or flashing lights or audible warning systems identical or
similar to those specified in subsections (a) and (b). A person
who equips or uses a vehicle with visual or audible warning
systems in violation of this section commits a summary offense
and shall, upon conviction, be sentenced to pay a fine of not
less than $500 nor more than $1,000.​

But I'm a California guy who doen't know anything about PA law and certainly doesn't know what a vehicle inspector might flag rightly or wrongly.

Well I guess I'm going to have to miss the Bloomsburg rally because I sure don't want to get a ticket for the flashing LED brake lights on my bike. :) It seems, based on the number of posts in this thread that a lot of us will be in trouble in Pennsylvania.

Oh, I think I'll go anyway. I'll just add the cost of that ticket to the cost of the $5 gas to get there. :)

Paul,
hey the folks i know who have them on their bikes here in PA never got ticketed and as far as i know, they all have their bikes inspected annually, according to the law... i read the text of the statutes myself, they're posted above- seems subjective to me. obviously somebody's inspecting (or putting stickers on) bikes around here. one might expect, of all dealerships in the area, that the BMW dealer would advocate for the use of this equipment. i sent a contact letter in to the PA Attorney General's office asking about brake light flashers AND pulsing headlights. when i receive a reply i'll post it here.

see you in Bloomsburg.
Tom

Last edited:
My company makes the P3 Lights system and we have sold many, many of them to Pa customers. We have yet to hear from any of them that they have had any legal issues with their modulated brake light function.

The modulation rate that we use has been shown to decrease the reaction time of following traffic by ~ 0.2 seconds, which could make the difference between being hit and not being hit.

They are programmable via the brake lever, so it's easy to switch the modulated brake light off if a LEO has an issue with them.

i ordered some PIAA lights for the front end and asked if they sold flasher kits for rear lighting/brake lights. i was informed by the service manager that such equipment is illegal in PA and my bike (s) would NOT pass PA State Inspection if equipped thusly! a quick search or the PA motor vehicle codes for motorcycles did NOT turn up any solid info on the subject. in fact it does not mention rear brake flashers at all.

What 'appears' to be consistent across all 50 states is that flashing red (or blue) lights that continue to flash could be confused for an emergency vehicle, and state traffic codes do not allow you to mimic such behavior.

However, Hyper-Lites (and many other brands) default to a steady red light after a certain sequence (usually 4-12) of flashes, thus complying with traffic laws.

Afterall, flashing your brake lights to alert a motorist behind you that you're slowing or stopping is taught in driver's ed classes across the USA as a universal concept of safety.

If you happen to run a flashing brake light that does nothing but keep flashing.......well, then you may run afoul of the Law. :nono

thanks for the comments RE: PA guys.
yeah i don't know why the local BMW dealer of all places wouldn't let you go with a brake flasher-type warning system in place. i will almost certainly add such a system to my bikes and simply have someone else do the inspections on them from now on.

Back