• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2005 R1200gs engine output seal failure

espressoforyou

I have a 2005 r1200gs with 35,000 miles on it and am on my forth engine output seal and third transmission input seal. I now have another seal failure, not sure which one, transmission or engine.

So far all have been covered under the 3/36 warranty or the 2 year parts warranty once the seals were replaced. The seals were replaced with the following miles. The first seal at 8,000, 12,000, 21,000, 22,000, 28,000, 30,000 and the last one at 33,000. The miles are approximate. I might have missed one or two replacements.

Any suggestions?

Has anybody gotten their engine replace because of this many seal failure?

Any suggestions on who I should contact to get this problem fixed once and for all?

The last time I had this problem (2500 miles ago) I contacted BMW USA and spoke with a customer service rep. He was nice and even contacted the local dealer about looking at my bike.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks Randy

That's tough. Did the same tech do the work? I'd ask them to check shaft run out to see if they are in spec. Also check sealing surface for damage or roughness. I would think that BMW or the dealership would give up after awhile, those repairs must be getting expensive for them.

A related question on this subject. What would be the normal life expectancy of these seals?

There a lot of bikes running around with more than 100,000 miles with original seals. It is usually prudent to replace them when the clutch needs to be replaced.

Thanks for the info.
I have a 2006 r1200gs which I bought new. It has 40,300 miles. I have not replace any of these seals or the clutch to date. Dealer says it's about a 2k job parts and labor.

OP was from 2010 and recall another very long thread and lots of opinions
Was a very strange repeat issue

We have a 130K,109K and a 30K mileage Hexheads...not worried until it presents an issue or am there for other reasons.
I wouldn't worry about it unless bike sits for years in the Sahara:wave

Was it possible the shaft was damaged at a seal replacement at some time. Or the wrong seal or seal installed backwards. A tech will put things back as they find it most times, so when an error is made, it often gets repeated. How does the removed seal look, worn out or good. I am of the opinion seal should be lubricated when installed.

Rod

Back