Thread: Ignition switch replacement?

Ignition switch replacement?

I have a 1981 R100RT/fairing removed and the keyed ignition switch is now on the left side of the headlight (moved by previous owner). The switch has been cutting in and out for the last week so I took it apart and can see visible wear where some of the points make contact as the key is turned. I added some conductive grease and it's working okay again but I'm going to change it out. A new one is priced from $97-$120, depending on whom you purchase it from.
    *Has anyone used a switch from another brand of motorcycle or automobile that will has the correct dimensions for the opening and is considerably cheaper?

Yarddog
    How about boring a hole in the top of the headlight bucket and putting in a standard ignition switch that you can get at any CarQuest or Napa store? You can get them without the 'start' option...should work fine...

I've never seen any other switch configured the same way as the stock switch you describe, so yer either gonna pony up the bucks, or buy a used one that may very well give you the same problem either now or up the line...

Both are "I'm going to be the last owner of this bike" solutions.
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

The current switch is a BMW switch and has been mounted in the correct place for a non-RT model. I guess I'll just have to pony up the $100+ for a switch that shouldn't cost more than $20 if I decide that it needs changing. I rode it for four hours yesterday with zero problems so the problem may be solved without having to replace it. Thanks for the responses.

copandengr

Switch

I'm glad you were able to get the switch working again, BUT......

I can guarantee you it will work fine until you are 500 miles away from home, on a holiday weekend and with zero dollars in your pocket...Replace it now before it leaves you stranded.

We used to have a saying about about airplanes..."Rudder missing? Go ahead fly it.... Flat tire? No problem. Put some air in it....Bent wing? I can fly it like that....Electrical problems? Ground it until you fix it! Whaddya think I am? Crazy?"

When I took the switch apart, one of the little contacts was slightly worn and had NO grease on it so I cleaned it well and put more conductive grease on it. I also know which wires to pull from the switch and tie together in case I had to hot-wire it in an emergency. Due to heart problems, I never ride more than around 60 miles from home any more. I also only ride with a partner in case of emergencies and I have a trailer that is set up for hauling the bike or my Vespa scooter. If I were still riding long distances, I would just replace it but at this point, I'm pretty confident that it's good to go. ...........famous last words.