• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Pulsing headlights?

I find them to be extremely annoying!!! Almost to the point of wanting to run them off of the road. I think that flashing lights should only be for emergency vehicles... with the exception of brake lites.

But i do wear HI VIZ riding gear, and ride like i am invisible.

I've never had the opportunity to discuss my modulating headlight with an annoyed motorist because I've never encountered a motorist who was annoyed with my modulated headlight.

However I have had my spiel ready for several years now.

Emergency vehicles ONLY display flashing blue and/or red lights. No emergency vehicles display flashing white lights only. Law enforcement emergency lights are a combination of blue and white, blue and red, or blue, red and white. Fire/ambulance/medic units use a combination of red and white flashing lights.

Again, no emergency vehicles in North America have white flashing lights only, so there is NO excuse for confusing a motorcycle with a modulating headlight for an emergency vehicle. Don't blame me for other motorists not knowing the rules of the road.

I find them to be extremely annoying!!! Almost to the point of wanting to run them off of the road. I think that flashing lights should only be for emergency vehicles... with the exception of brake lites.

But i do wear HI VIZ riding gear, and ride like i am invisible.

I've been paying attention to motorcyclists out here in WA State.
Mostly as to what did I 'notice' about them. Where did my 'eye' land first.

It's always the headlight.

In an approaching motorcycle too much of the 'hi-viz' is obscured by:
A. The fairing/windscreen, B. The brightness of the headlight.
I'd argue in favor for the rear view but many riders have seat backs/trunks that also obscure.

I ride a real dangerous road every day. I've had people pull over thinking I was a LEO. I've had people flip me off in their mirrors and I've had people flash back at me up until they passed me going the other direction.
Good.
They saw me.
I'm not out there riding to make friends. I'm out there riding because I enjoy the hell out of it and as a fully licensed driver/rider I make myself seen in a legal and responsible manner.
If I thought for one moment you were trying to run me off the road...
I'd yank you out of your car or off your motorcycle and beat you like an egg.
End of story.

Back