• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Uh oh!

Rapid_Roy

Why, look what found it's way into my garage, a Japanese GS.
:ha
PA090004.jpg

:clap
:dance

Nice. A little more appropriate I think for the application than your R50.
You be careful now!

Nice!

I think every GS owner that is not a former Enduro champ should own a small plated "dual sport" bike.
:wave

That is what I think for me anyway. Now I can fall over on this and get used to it, and perhaps pickup up a used GS, when I feel skilled enough, or battered enough to not get one.
:laugh

Nice. A little more appropriate I think for the application than your R50.
You be careful now!

It did the sand pit and single track trails at Stand Rock Campgound in the Dells quite nicely, but we are both getting old.

:brad:thumb:ca

Everyone should have a bike with fully knobbies, especially around here... so many places to go explore off the beaten path.

R100GS with tires sufficient to play on the dual track, '07 KTM 525 Street legal go anywhere bike.

IMGP2395.jpg

Last edited:
:brad:thumb:ca

Everyone should have a bike with fully knobbies, especial around here... so many places to go explore off the beaten path.

R100GS with tires sufficient to play on the dual track, '07 KTM 525 Street legal go anywhere bike.

IMGP2395.jpg

Nice Bumblebee!
My cousin has that model. Perhaps he will sell me his if I feel sufficiently learned enough from the DR.

Nice Bumblebee!
My cousin has that model. Perhaps he will sell me his if I feel sufficiently learned enough from the DR.

Thanks, I love it!

It's been mine for one season, stripped her totally down last winter, been a strong runner over the 5k since all the work. Now that I know she's stable a few upgrades on their way:
- Jesse Luggage :)
- Updated coil and plug wires
- updated Diode brd
- Electrical Harness (I found, I hope, a good one to replace the original that I had to do major rebuild to last winter - it was in really bad shape)
- Spare set of rims with street tires.
- Bosch Starter... Valeo whines big time.

Just put on a Karoo-2 on the front and a Sahara on the rear. They Work great in most everything, except I have not tried deep mud. Sand, gravel and single track is fun on them. In deep sand gotta remember to stay on the throttle ;)

Planning to do some long distance in 1.5 years when my wife has a semester off. Next year I will definitely get to my first national... and James Bay is calling.

One thing that sucks with the GS... Little ground clearance compared to the 525! Guess I have to get used to going over downed trees and humps on the rear wheel:dance

Roy: If that mud is anything like the gumbo we have here in Michigan, you might be better off waiting for it to freeze to try to get that thing out of the mud. The stuff we have around here seems to be bottomless!!! Judging by the picture, I guess that you were having a really great time...

Roy: If that mud is anything like the gumbo we have here in Michigan, you might be better off waiting for it to freeze to try to get that thing out of the mud. The stuff we have around here seems to be bottomless!!! Judging by the picture, I guess that you were having a really great time...
Actually, I am standing right next to the bike, the little white showing in the picture is the top of my helmet.:laugh

That was the first time, I got it stuck there 3 more times before we turned around.
One thing I can do with that, that I am unable to do with a GS is, pick it up.
I had to stand on the seat to lever it out of the mud, then pick up the front end, then the rear end and put them on the "stable" ground next to the bike. By the third time, I was pretty tired or I would have beaten my brother after he roostered me with mud turning my bike around. :D
Luckily, I was turned around trying to pick up my helmet and backpack.
yes, we did have fun that day, and all in 16 miles.
:clap

Gee, maybe the weight over the rear tire was the issue?
Just sayin'.

GEH! Actually IIRC you had a rain storm just before that ride, understandably soupy.
You know I love you man, just playing.

Your dirt bike is WAAAAY better than mine, which is invisible.

Gee, maybe the weight over the rear tire was the issue?
Just sayin'.

GEH! Actually IIRC you had a rain storm just before that ride, understandably soupy.
You know I love you man, just playing.

Your dirt bike is WAAAAY better than mine, which is invisible.
Who can resist a dig at my weight when the chance arrives?
It rained several times before we rode. I will link to the ride report when I get some time.
The third time it got stuck, I stepped on what appeared to be solid ground next to the bike and I sunk down 8 inches. That was not a solid area. I am sure my brother being lighter helped, but he had a TW200 (which is lighter) and it has really wide tires on it, which also helped. He got stuck as well.
We turned around.

Well, you can give me a thumping next time I see you.

All in jest, hope you took it as such.
I started on a Yammy 125 Enduro back before electric light. It was a blast.
Not sure if I could return to the dirts but looked like you were all having a great time.

Well, you can give me a thumping next time I see you.

All in jest, hope you took it as such.
I started on a Yammy 125 Enduro back before electric light. It was a blast.
Not sure if I could return to the dirts but looked like you were all having a great time.

How else would I take it?
Yeah, we were not the fastest things out there, and at one time, I just fell over laughing.

Back