• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Are the newer BMW's going to last?

So you have ridden 53,600 miles on average for the last 3 years? How does one do that?

As surprising as it may seem, some folks actually do ride that much. I don't, but I am married to somebody that did for many years. Interestingly, now that we have retired and she doesn't commute most days to work, she is down to only about 40,000 to 45,000 miles a year. Me - I only ride about 35,000 miles a year.

As surprising as it may seem, some folks actually do ride that much. I don't, but I am married to somebody that did for many years.
That's an accurate statement. I was the owner of the first R11RSL in NM in May 93. When I traded it in at Deming Cycle Center in September 1995, it had well over 100,000 on it [it was NOT my only bike] - some of which was accumulated riding with the lovely lass in red Paul has somehow remained married to all these years - which proves two things really. 1) She's one hell of a rider and 2) Like "The Woman" that sticks with me, she's tough enough to hang with Paul.

When Deming Cycle Center did a bottom end on "Old Moldy", my 1973 R75/5 LWB, it had 387,000 miles on it. I bought it new in 1972. Between 1972 and 1974, she was my only transportation and that's when she gained the most miles.

Those of us living in the southwest generally ride year round, which makes our mileage seem a little high to those of you with seasonal weather.

As to Paul's flame - bear in mind that when she was accumulating mileage - they lived in Kansas - which DOES have seasonal riding to most.....;)

I have ridden in every season in Kansas. More than once. I even liked some of it.

I have to say the peak of the summer season is less comfortable than the depths of winter with the exception of ICE.

Rod

In Louisiana we have fours seasons; Summer, Winter, Football, and Hurricane. Riding is great in all except when Hurricane gets a bit windy and wet:thumb

So you have ridden 53,600 miles on average for the last 3 years? How does one do that?

I know the previous owner of this bike...and yes, he did. Placed first in the mileage contest two years ago...lives in Texas and rides just about everyday and everywhere.

The problem with technology on BMW bikes is that they are not putting technology into making them reliable. The complexity has increased, but the technology used to build the bikes has not kept pace like it has with the Japanese luxury cars. Where I notice this most is in the wiring harness. The Japanese use different plating for their connectors and better seals. I doubt this actually costs anything extra, they just pay more attention to these sorts of details. Compared to a modern Lexus, modern BMW car electronics seem almost crude in comparison. In general, all the seals on Japanese cars look and feel better made than on European cars. Taking to car mechanics, the Euro brands frequently come in with transmission and engine leaks. It is not nearly so common on Japanese cars. Overall, the Japanese have upgraded a lot of the little details that go into manufacturing a car where the Europeans spend more time on the design and feel of the car.

Back