• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

New Gerbing Problem

Ok, I received the Gerbing Heated pants liner today. New wiring harness as well. Connected to battery. Individually, the pants work, and the jacket liner works, hooked up individually to the power cord. (yes, I do have the bike running).

However, when hooked together via the 'PDU' on the jacket liner, you can only get one or the other to work switching back/fourth. There is a fixed female recepticle for the power input, then one fixed male output connector, and a second "white" external/loose male connector. There are no specific instructions with the Gerbings other than this is the PDU to distribute power to everything, ie-no specific wiring sequence.

So, do I have a problem, or am I supposed to have something else? I got the impression from Paul Glaves on a prior posting that I may have to have a controller to operate both? I was under the impression that I did not need that right now.

So should my wife ride with warm legs or a warm torso? :scratch

Bryan

My jacket is about 3 years old. Not sure if they changed the power block in the jacket, but here's how mine works.

There is a white male connector, a black male connector and a black female connector.

The white male connector is the power input to the jacket.

The black male connector powers the glove connections and is jumpered to the black female connector. The pants plug into the female connector and the black male connector gets connected to power.

You'll either need a switch or controller for the power that goes to the black and white connectors or you won't just get warm, you'll get burned.

EDIT - just found this instruction.
http://www.gerbing.com/Downloads/12vInstructions.pdf

Last edited:
pretty sure you need a controller... I have one just so I can have separate temps on my jacket and my gloves, but it would be the same for pants and jacket... they have single temp controller (all things on the system adjusted by the same rheostat, and dual temp controllers (jacket on one, all other accessories on the other)...

I think the dual rheostat one was about 100 bucks...

I had the same problem. I needed to buy a "Y" from gerbing $10.00. that solved the problem. I use a single controler.

Buy the double controller. Even in the dead of winter, I tend to turn mine down while riding. Mounted it on some velcro on side of bike within easy reach while riding.

Splitter Required, Single Controller Works Fine

I have a jacket and pants as well, and had the exact same problem. Talked to Gerbing, and they recommended a splitter, as described here:

SPLITTER $9.95

When wearing a vest, which has no glove plugs, and also wearing gloves and insoles (or pants), the splitter connects the gloves and insoles (or pants).

http://gerbing.com/Products/accessories.html

The link above will get you to the page on the Gerbing site.

Greg

Thanks for the info...I wasn't aware that the set-up would require either a controller or splitter until I got the gear in yesterday and diddled with it.

Plan on getting a controller in December, trying not to spend too much on stuff right now. There is a separate cable that came with the pants, I think I'll just hook the two up for now, hate doing that, but it will just be a couple of months.

The splitter would be about 10 to 20 percent of a dual controller, so save the difference for now. Ordered a separate cable last week, shipping cost more than the cable did, go figure?

Bryan

Back