• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

08 K1200GT Rider - Right Shoulder Pain

B

Bfranco

I love my K1200GT but every time I take a several hour ride or trip I get a severe pain in the area in the upper back part of my right shoulder near my neck. I have tried moving around on the seat, sitting farther back on the seat, sitting up at the tank on the seat. I have tried adjusting how I hold my head and neck but nothing seems to work. I have never had any neck or back injuries that could be contributing to this.

Can anyone suggest what might be the cause? Could it be the seat? Any suggestions on where to go to research a cause and solution.
Thanks
BFranco

I get the same thing if I am riding in cold weather without enough gear, but more often in rain (especially windy rain) and am not conciously relaxing. The cold and 'concern' causes me to tense up and raise my shoulders. Never have it any other time, unless I have been off the bikes for a long period.

Can anyone suggest what might be the cause? Could it be the seat? Any suggestions on where to go to research a cause and solution.
Thanks
BFranco[/QUOTE]
if it is your right shoulder then your left shoulder is tight either cause you are gripping the left bar too tight or you are sitting too far to the right making your left arm extend too far. I have found when I experience a pain in one side of the body when riding it is the opposite side causing the problem. I then take deep breathes and try to relax the shouders, arms, wrists. Neck pain because my head is hanging down and not square on shoulders. Hope this helps.

Do you do any stretching- not just on the bike or after riding- but on a regular basis?

Holding your arm(s) in a fixed position for extended periods may lead to a muscular "trigger points"- pain in the shoulder, neck and/or arm.

Google "muscular trigger points" for further info.

Back