• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

BMW loses CHP Contract

Because, the attached data on the new Kawa says that the police bikes are "limited" to 130 mph.....so, if you gotta run.....you better run HARD.....or you will be caught.

But only if your bike is fast enough to outrun Motorola? :stick

Whatever the reason for the change the fact is that BMW lost a "prestige" account. These are high profile bikes that give BMW quite a bit of international publicity.

The bean counters must be happy.

Typical state/city procedure...low bidder typically wins out unless they do not meet all the tight requirements which could exclude them..and it can be only by a few dollars. It isn't to say BMW did not try, unless someone requests public records( sometimes bids are off limits) we may never know the real reason, price point per bike may be a large influence......it's the purchasing rules adopted or mandated by local goverments to comply with all sorts of "fair practices" and avoid lawsuits...been in a few regardless. We had to go to from a bells and whistles piece of equipment we really trusted to "yes, it will do the job..."barely" too many times to count.:violin Then a year later the low ball vendors equipment broke down or would not do the job as advertised.:whistle

When I think international exposure however...I think events like the Tour de France and backdrops of large European cities without H-D's and half helmeted LEO's and not CHP's gold bikes...still think Ponch & John on the Kawas:laugh

Typical state/city procedure...low bidder typically wins out unless they do not meet all the tight requirements which could exclude them..and it can be only by a few dollars. It isn't to say BMW did not try, unless someone requests public records( sometimes bids are off limits) we may never know the real reason, price point per bike may be a large influence......it's the purchasing rules adopted or mandated by local goverments to comply with all sorts of "fair practices" and avoid lawsuits...been in a few regardless. We had to go to from a bells and whistles piece of equipment we really trusted to "yes, it will do the job..."barely" too many times to count.:violin Then a year later the low ball vendors equipment broke down or would not do the job as advertised.:whistle

When I think international exposure however...I think events like the Tour de France and backdrops of large European cities without H-D's and half helmeted LEO's and not CHP's gold bikes...still think Ponch & John on the Kawas:laugh

Here in our Nation's Capital I doubt that any other manufacturer will dethrone HD as the bike of choice as the heel/toe shifter is of utmost importance as this keeps their boot scuff free. They did try out some R1150RT-P but at the end of the day it was the boot factor.

Hopefully the new bikes will perform well and deliver good value for the money.

As for international flavor look at how many tourists visit California each year. How many people, over the years, have associated BMW motorcycles with the CHP. How many, granted maybe not many, have bought or considered a BMW as their next purchase.

Given the year-round workout they receive it could be asked how many other jurisdictions look at these bikes and how they performed when looking at buying new bikes for their police forces.

At the end of the day, to the non-motorcyclist, these are but tools used to do a job within set parameters and for a specific price. They are bought on contract and not out of affection.

Darn bureaucracy! And I'm a bureaucrat.

I don't think the police use of bikes has that much impact on sales or what people think of a particular brand. The Crown Vic has dominated police use for years but you don't see the public buying them. The same goes for the more recently used Impalas and Chargers. Most people know that public equipment is there only because it was the lowest bid.

I don't think the police use of bikes has that much impact on sales or what people think of a particular brand. The Crown Vic has dominated police use for years but you don't see the public buying them. The same goes for the more recently used Impalas and Chargers. Most people know that public equipment is there only because it was the lowest bid.

I agree, police bikes don't influence public sales. But, what the CHP buys, sets a precedent for what other agencies around the country buy. That is why HD and BMW both offered killer deals at first to get the CHP using their bikes.

Funny thing about the Concourse, is I heard it's turning radius exceeded CHP requirements. I guess they got a waiver.

Scott

I had heard the turning radius was increased somehow on the new Connies. I have no idea how, but that is what I heard. A CHP officer I talked with said the $2000 didn't seam as substantial as the savings in maintenance.

It will be sad to lose the CHP contract. My theory is that the mechanics learn the trade on the RT-P bikes and they get very familiar with that particular model. This is a big plus for the R1150 & R1200 crowd because chances are the mechanic has done the job several times before on a police bike. He/she has probably figured out how to get right before working on your bike. I also don't think the CHP necessarily services their own bikes. Irv Seaver BMW in Orange always has CHP bikes in the shop, and they look a little too old to be under warranty.

Back