• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

ESA Rear shock failed again 2007 R1200RT

rideaway

Rideaway
On my 2007 R1200RT ESA ............Just over a year and about 25,000 kilometers after my first rear shock was replaced my shock has failed again. Seems they don't last more than 25,000 for me. Does anyone know if BMW has updated this shock with an improved version?

Was it replaced with the updated version or the original?

The older style has a potentiometer sensor for the suspension strut. The updated shock uses a hall sensor. The ZFE requires an update to recognize and control the newer shock.

My 06 rear ESA shock died and the dealer (under warranty) had to replace the shock as well as the ZFE unit at a cost of near $4000.00 It seems the original shock for ESA had a three wire connector and the replacement only a two wire setup. Required a new model ZFE to work with it. Nearly a year later, the ZFE was replaced again under warranty as the alternator quit working??? The shop inferred that the ZFE controls the exciter current to the alternator.

My 07RT died at 37K out of warr.

Well mine only made it to 37K, oil all over the place. I had a Western Ext. Warr. which did not cover the ESA shock. I purchased a used manual adj. shock while my Works replacement was being made. I had to send in the old ESA and the works shock cost $800.00. It was well worth the price and performed much better then the BMW original.
Just sharing with the boys:dance

Was it replaced with the updated version or the original?

The older style has a potentiometer sensor for the suspension strut. The updated shock uses a hall sensor. The ZFE requires an update to recognize and control the newer shock.

No Idea, the shop that did it is not aware of any updates. They just ordered the part and then spent all day trying to get the computer to recognize it. It was replaced last Aug. 2009.

No Idea, the shop that did it is not aware of any updates. They just ordered the part and then spent all day trying to get the computer to recognize it. It was replaced last Aug. 2009.

Most likely it was the newer style unit that's why they issues getting it calibrated. I would get yourself back to the dealer as it should still be under warranty. If they are not aware of the update you may want to consider another dealer. They will probably try to reset it to get control over it. But it may be dead too.

Most likely it was the newer style unit that's why they issues getting it calibrated. I would get yourself back to the dealer as it should still be under warranty. If they are not aware of the update you may want to consider another dealer. They will probably try to reset it to get control over it. But it may be dead too.

They called me back after doing some research and told me that it was the updated shock that they installed, so I guess the updated one is no better, very strange that 2 different models of shock would fail with the same mileage. The shop that did the work last time is 7 hours away but they did check it one day and had the shock in the second day so I was happy with the service. The other shop that is closer says they will take a couple of weeks and will have to send the shock to BMW so they can look at it.

Good to know. It's not so much the shock but the ESA portion that's the issue but they can't seem to figure out how to seperate the two unlike some of the aftermarket offerings. As I mentioned they may just try to reset it first.

When mine went out the second time BMW approved the replacement which was the updated shock. It took the dealer three weeks to complete the work. First to get the shock, then the updated software from BMW to reprogram the ZFE and then several days to get it calbrated. After researching the issue on my own and forwarding the info to the dealer it was miraculously ready.

Back