• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Idle issues '94 K75RT

bearhart68

I took my wife for a 400 mile ride around the Reno/Tahoe area and had a bit of trouble. The bike (1994 K75RT) ran fine for the first 200 miles but travelling from Wellington NV over the mountains and down into the Lake Tahoe area I had to stop for some road construction the bike quit and would not start. It was a hot day (about 90) and I thought vapor lock. I pulled the bike over to the side of the road and opened the fuel filler cap to break the vacuum and let it sit for about 15 minutes with no luck. I smelled gas and thought it was flooded. I pulled the throttle full open and the bike started after about 10 seconds of cranking. It ran really rough for a few seconds and then revved. I could keep the bike going by holding the idle up with the throttle and the bike ran fine while traveling. I stopped about a half hour later and the bike idled fine and started fine but 100 miles later down in Reno it did the same thing at a stop light. I went through the same scenario to start it and travelled about 15 miles to a gas station to fill up. I had to do the same thing to get it started (full throttle while cranking for about 7-10 seconds then it would rev and it was fine on the highway. When I got it home it started right up and idled fine and has ever since. Anybody have any ideas? I have had the bike for about 5 weeks and have about 4,000 miles on it with no issues. The bike had 35,000 when I bought it.

What was your elevation? As you rise in elevation the mixture becomes richer. There is an altitude jumper (described in your owners manual) that can be used to lean out the mix. That might help under these conditions.

I'd also suggest:

• Replace the plugs and carry the old ones as spares. K75's like to foul plugs, and once fouled it seems they are never quite the same. New ones will fix this. Luckily you did exactly the correct thing to get it to restart. Most people don't hold the throttle fully open and end up making a flooded condition much worse.
  • Putting the year/model of your bike in the thread title. I did it for you. It helps attract people to your thread who might have something useful to impart. Please consider doing that in the future.. it not only helps you - it helps people looking/searching for something that may have been discussed before.

Back