• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

i think anybody with the money to buy a bmw 1600...

f14rio

...would be smart enough not to buy one in the first year of production.
also wondering if there will be any significant final drive design changes.

Unfortunately that would pretty much guarantee there would be no second year of production.

Part of being an early adoptor is the rush of having the newest no one has!

Still sticking with my 1300 now that it runs right :bolt

Last edited:
The BMW K16 press literature sez that the basic K12/13 swingarm/final drive arrangements are used, but that the components have been beefed up to handle the K16's extra output.

The problem I would have with this bike, with its incredible power and smoothness, is staying under the speed limit. For that matter, the more recent model BMWs I have ridden just don't like to go slow.

As someone who spent a lot of time with a couple of millionaires I can assure you that intelligence and money can be inversely proportional.:whistle

F'in' A bud but, if I was crazy . . . wait I am!
I'd rather blow the schnigs on that unpronounceable disease what is it . . . . S1000RR . . . . did I get it right?
But then I watch some of that Isle of Man TT and think, wow I could be real dead real quick.
But then again, that SRR is the most ridiculous piece of machinery the boys over there have produced yet.
So back and forth I go.

Not ready for the land yacht yet.
I see the boys on their Gold Wangs and think to myself . . . "that's a car that lost 2 wheels".
To each their own.
/Hijack off
So solly.

I'm not so sure the first year track record is as bad as all that. Maybe we are just risk takers, but my K75T (I rode it 370,000 miles) was a first year bike. I also own the 19th K75S produced. Voni's R1100RS was a first year bike from the first shipment to the US (now at 350,000 miles). My F650 was a first year in the US bike, but had been out elsewhere the year before. My R1150R (now at 150,000 miles) was a first year bike too.

Now it is true that the K75 evolved from the K100 and the R1150 evolved from the R1100, but still ....

All of these bikes proved trustworthy and reliable.

Last edited:
The problem I would have with this bike, with its incredible power and smoothness, is staying under the speed limit. For that matter, the more recent model BMWs I have ridden just don't like to go slow.

Perhaps I have more money than brains, but I want this bike. Still, I wouldn't have considered it without cruise control. I don't have that much money, and I figured I wouldn't be able to ride it if I was in jail for my umpteenth speeding ticket. :whistle

- Kate

re: 'it's never too late to..."

My parents' 65th wedding anniversary was last week. I talked to them. They're feeling old, but they also believe it's never too late in life to do the things you really want. So, this year they put me up for adoption.
:)

I don't like to buy first year items, either, but I did buy the first year 05 R12RT. But what was my choice? Buy a used 1150 (no way, R12 is a much better bike) or not ride for a year and wait for the 06? So I went for it and it has been a fantastic machine now 52k miles later.

And the S1000RR: that bike is priced at an absolute steal! I didn't buy it for two reasons. One, it's just too nice of a bike to crash on the track (and it can only be properly piloted on a track). Two, I'd kill myself with it on the street.

There have been quite a few ECOs on my RT but BMW has made them all and it has been pretty trouble free.

Back